Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Default regarding the rules

I have been involved with taxidermy for 30 some years so I guess I will jump in. Historically the most powerful people in the fur industry were middle men. The requirement for having a fur dealers license protected the interests of said middle men. The problem with that system is a hide that has been processed by anyone but a person familiar with the needs of a taxidermist is 50% more likely to screw it up for a quality mount. Nowadays some animals value is more on the taxidermy market than on the garment market. A Wolverine is one of these animals. As a result, a lot of taxidermists that specialize in mounted fur bearers have a fur dealers license. If you are looking for a taxidermied animal you are better off dealing with a taxidermist who purchases from trappers. This is in no means meant to sound disrespectful to trappers. Actually on the contrary. If a trapper busts his hump to get you a Wolverine and you dont like the color of it you are going to have a problem when you tell him thats not what you want. You are going to have to use a taxidermist as a go between anyways. Look around, keep open channels with the trapper associations and fish and wildlife and and many things are legally available. Grizzlies and Cougars cannot be legally bought and sold in Alberta unless the have been pre-registered for 2 years. Legally taken Polar bears are widely available as long as your pockets are deep enough. the yellowknife link offered up earlier is one of the best places to buy a Quality mount in the world.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 AM

that NWT link is shady. if you read how they get their "tags" they buy them from the inuit people of that village. ya, no thanks. Shady shady shady.

But I appreciate your post. I have leaned learnt? a lot from this thread. I have a taxidermist in mind for my mounts. I want to support our trappers. Do you own your own shop? pm me with your info and where you are located. Having two taxidermists cant be a bad thing.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 AM

xtremehunter10 says:
that NWT link is shady. if you read how they get their "tags" they buy them from the inuit people of that village. ya, no thanks. Shady shady shady.

Check out this link, it is the Government of the northwest territories website. you will be able to see that the tag fee is payable to the government. there is also a trophy fee payable to the government.

http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...olar_Bear.aspx

all polar bear tags are given to the hunters and trappers associations of their respective regions. these tags are given to whomever they want to give them to. If you are given a tag, you still have to pay the government the tag fee, and trophy fee. These small communities have very little opportunity for the people to make a living, so the government gives them these tags as a source of income for the community. the best opportunity for money is to sell the tag to a hunter who wants to bag a polar bear. the hunter is paying for the the locals to guide him to that bear. the next best source of income from these tags is for the members of the community to shoot the bears themselves and sell the hides to the highest bidder. Not really any different than what our good friends the trappers do with their hides.

Where you get this whole "Polar bears are endangered species" from is beyond me. I really can't make it any clearer than this, but hey sometimes it's nice to enjoy the shade
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
xtremehunter10 says:

Check out this link, it is the Government of the northwest territories website. you will be able to see that the tag fee is payable to the government. there is also a trophy fee payable to the government.

http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages...olar_Bear.aspx

all polar bear tags are given to the hunters and trappers associations of their respective regions. these tags are given to whomever they want to give them to. If you are given a tag, you still have to pay the government the tag fee, and trophy fee. These small communities have very little opportunity for the
people to make a living, so the government gives them these tags as a source of income for the community. the best opportunity for money is to sell the tag to a hunter who wants to bag a polar bear. the hunter is paying for the the locals to guide him to that bear. the next best source of income from these tags is for the members of the community to shoot the bears themselves and sell the hides to the highest bidder. Not really any different than what our good friends the trappers do with their hides.

Where you get this whole "Polar bears are endangered species" from is beyond me. I really can't make it any clearer than this, but hey sometimes it's nice to enjoy the shade
They used to be on the endangered list. I got that other part from a link I found online. If you can buy a tag from the gov't then thats a bit different than buying it through this one company gets their tags from the local village. whether legal or not is not something I personally want to get involved in. To each their own. I dont ever go up north for anything, and I dont know anyone who hunts up there. When I was working in manitoba there was no season for polar bears so maybe thats where i got it from, I'm not sure. Thanks for the education tho.
I mean its no different than here in alberta... you cant hunt woodland caribou but you can in quebec. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me. I appreciate it.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM

Last edited by countrykid; 09-29-2011 at 09:45 AM.