Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM

Default wolverines/fishers/lynx wanted.

To all of you hard working trappers out there. Im looking for these animals. I am also wondering what the prices for each would be and if anyone has any they are willing to sell? Please let me know can pm me if you so choose.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 AM

It would be a good idea for you to get a fur dealer licence if you don't have one. That way some undercover fish cop doesn't try selling you a bunch of stuff.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
It would be a good idea for you to get a fur dealer licence if you don't have one. That way some undercover fish cop doesn't try selling you a bunch of stuff.
since when is it illegal to buy animals off a registered trapline? So let me get this straight.. if you own a registered trapline and you are trapping... you cant sell anything to a private person it has to be to a company or maufacturer? So i you are the trapper and u get stuff no one wants to have to pay out of your own pocket to tan the hides and keep them? Or give them away? That doesnt sound right to me. Whats the point in trapping if it does nothing but cost you money?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
since when is it illegal to buy animals off a registered trapline? So let me get this straight.. if you own a registered trapline and you are trapping... you cant sell anything to a private person it has to be to a company or maufacturer? So i you are the trapper and u get stuff no one wants to have to pay out of your own pocket to tan the hides and keep them? Or give them away? That doesnt sound right to me. Whats the point in trapping if it does nothing but cost you money?
From page 9 of the trapping regulations pamphlet.
Quote:
No raw skins of fur-bearing animals may be sold to anyone who is not a fur dealer
This is what it says about tanned hides.
Quote:
Sale of Wildlife
In Alberta anyone may sell the following:
processed (tanned or otherwise permanently preserved, but not
dried, salted or frozen) skins of fur-bearing animals;
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
From page 9 of the trapping regulations pamphlet.

This is what it says about tanned hides.
Oh... ok. well that makes sense. So the hides have to be tanned first? like i said in a new thread, I dont know much about trapping, but i knew you. could buy from a trapper. My question is how do you get full body mounts of lynx and other animals like that. ? does thee trapper have to get it done then you buy it from him/her? sorry for the ignorance, but i really dont know.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

A quick call to your local F&W office will clear things up for you , That would be the best imo.If you are serious about doing this , you would be well advised to go that route, it will save you a lot of grief and court costsOtherwise as someone said get a fur dealers licence and I believe you can also do it on a taxidermists, But in this case I think they check out your intended work place . At least this is what I got from F&W
Old 09-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
A quick call to your local F&W office will clear things up for you , That would be the best imo.If you are serious about doing this , you would be well advised to go that route, it will save you a lot of grief and court costsOtherwise as someone said get a fur dealers licence and I believe you can also do it on a taxidermists, But in this case I think they check out your intended work place . At least this is what I got from F&W
This was bugging me so i phoned fish and wildlife. This is the answer i got.
You can purchase animals that are processed. The animal must be registered with fish and wildlife, and if i want a say full body mount the trapper must bring the fur to my taxidermist to be processed. so there is nothing wrong with what i posted. except i found out a wolverine is a lot tougher to get than I thought only 1 a year. But I still want one. if any trappers have any fishers, lynx or wolverines that are registered and are looking to sell them pm me. I will find a taxidermist to take them to.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
This was bugging me so i phoned fish and wildlife. This is the answer i got.
You can purchase animals that are processed. The animal must be registered with fish and wildlife, and if i want a say full body mount the trapper must bring the fur to my taxidermist to be processed. so there is nothing wrong with what i posted. except i found out a wolverine is a lot tougher to get than I thought only 1 a year. But I still want one. if any trappers have any fishers, lynx or wolverines that are registered and are looking to sell them pm me. I will find a taxidermist to take them to.
That is what we were told as well. I have never put it to the test but my brother did and had no problems.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
That is what we were told as well. I have never put it to the test but my brother did and had no problems.
Take it as gosspel my friend. right from a fish and wildlife officer. i cant possess it or buy it until its processed.Or its in possesion of a taxidermists shop to be processed. then i can purchase it. My next question is if you're a trapper can you sell your own taxidermied animals that you trap? or does it have to go to a registered taxiderist?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Gone Hunting

I believe that anyone can sell a finished mount. IE. Taxidermy.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 AM

xtreme - you live in edmonton? why not head over to halford's hides and buy whatever animal fur you want from there? they have an online catalog with prices in it too.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 AM

I like Helfords but they are the way $$$$
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
xtreme - you live in edmonton? why not head over to halford's hides and buy whatever animal fur you want from there? they have an online catalog with prices in it too.
I don't believe Halford sells hides suitable for taxidermy. I do know that pelts sold for the fur industry, are definitely not suitable for taxidermy. I believe that is what Halford most likely sells.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
What? really? lol your pulling my leg. ??? that would be awesome if thats true. I know they tan, i didnt think they sold as well. thats really cool if its true and your not using my ignorance against me
I also like supporting our trappers. it is a dying industry and its one that goes back a long long time. I will have to check out halford hides, I get all of my seasonings and binders and such from them already. a little more business couldnt hurt.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I believe that anyone can sell a finished mount. IE. Taxidermy.
thats not true. it must be registered if its an animal that is required to be. say for example a lynx. if i have a lynx but if it hasnt been registered with fish and wildlife and i dont have a certificate saying so then you could be charged with trafficking wildlife.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:44 AM

I know a trapper who has a full mount wolverine he's willing to sell for $2000.00 in the Grande Cache area.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
What? really? lol your pulling my leg. ??? that would be awesome if thats true. I know they tan, i didnt think they sold as well. thats really cool if its true and your not using my ignorance against me
I also like supporting our trappers. it is a dying industry and its one that goes back a long long time. I will have to check out halford hides, I get all of my seasonings and binders and such from them already. a little more business couldnt hurt.
ya, i'm looking at their online catalog right now - they have tons of furs for sale from pretty much every fur bearing animal. but not suitable for taxidermy. supporting our trappers is always a good idea but seems like you gotta jump through some hoops to do it these days. wish we could buy direct!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM

PM sent
Old 09-13-2011, 01:06 PM

I might have a decent badger you could have......
Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I might have a decent badger you could have......
really? i can have? that would be sweet. is it skinned, frozen? still alive? lol. already mounted?

Old 09-14-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
ya, i'm looking at their online catalog right now - they have tons of furs for sale from pretty much every fur bearing animal. but not suitable for taxidermy. supporting our trappers is always a good idea but seems like you gotta jump through some hoops to do it these days. wish we could buy direct!
Ya, I wish it was easier to buy from trappers. its a lot of redundancy. I would rather go through a few hoops and buy direct and get a relationship going with one or two trappers than buy from a store. dont get me wrong, I get all of my butcher supplies from halford hides. But its just nice to be able to go see your trapper and pick out your animals. I have learned a lot from this thread a lone. Its more hoops for the trapper than for the purchaser. you just show up at the taxidermists with money i hand. I'm starting to see how lucrative a trap line could be tho. All trappers have my respect

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM

I don't know if you're interested but this guy lives across the street from me and does some nice work. Most of his work is done for resale and he has a wide selection from absolute cranker dall sheep to polar bears all for sale. He buys his animals from all sorts of places and does them up in his garage across the street. Of course i go have a look now and again to see what he's up to. He also does custom mounts for anyone interested. It's a lot easier to buy/sell animal parts in the northwest territories.
hope this helps

http://www.robertsonartworks.com/Home%20page.html
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 AM

We need a simple solution for selling animals to private individuals. However, as usual, the govt doesn't want to accomodate us as it would represent work to change such a law and it is much easier to not do anything.

We could present this... Creation of a new $20 permit which authorizes the sale of pelt(s) from one trapper to one private individual. $20 per transaction. Permit requires all info of animal, species, sex, size, registration number if applicable, and of course name of buyer and info plus seller/info/trapping licence/trapline number (if applicable)

I think this could work, the govt would be happy cuz the fishcops get to be involved and have something to do, everything is above board all info is there and is trackable, all sensitive species sold this way have a paper trail and are accounted for.

What you think fellers?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Lightbulb sale of animals

Great idea ki-ute - would like to see this presented to the Trappers Association for persual - may be an extra income for some what with low fur prices. Are you willing to follow up with fellow trappers ?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Selling fur

I just don't understand why you think a trapper selling his own fur is such a hastle??? It's simple the trapper traps , skins ( most animals which will bring more in the taxi market get skinned acordingly ) , and then is taken to get registered at F&G then sent to the tannery for tanning, then is classified as processed so it is listed as marketable. All the trapper needs is the market so find the trapper and put in your order..... Simple the toughest part is paying the bill!!! What is so complicated about that.
Just be prepared to pay the going rate for the pelt plus the price of tanning. All is proper and everybody walks away happy!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=KI-UTE;1079326]We need a simple solution for selling animals to private individuals. However, as usual, the govt doesn't want to accomodate us as it would represent work to change such a law and it is much easier to not do anything.

We could present this... Creation of a new $20 permit which authorizes the sale of pelt(s) from one trapper to one private individual. $20 per transaction. Permit requires all info of animal, species, sex, size, registration number if applicable, and of course name of buyer and info plus
seller/info/trapping licence/trapline number
(if applicable)

I think this could work, the govt would be happy cuz the fishcops get to be involved and have something to do, everything is above board all info is there and is trackable, all sensitive species sold this way have a paper trail and are accounted for.

Why charge a fee why not just do it like a bill of ladding? call it a bill of fur sale or whatever, make it a form that you can download or pick up at f&w with the same info on it as you described. then both fill i out and sign it and turn it in to f&w. or just keep it as a record. The gov't does make it hard to sell to private people.'not sure why. its almost like they want to abolish trapping in general.
Wh

Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
I don't know if you're interested but this guy lives across the street from me and does some nice work. Most of his work is done for resale and he has a wide selection from absolute cranker dall sheep to polar bears all for sale. He buys his animals from all sorts of places and does them up in his garage across the street. Of course i go have a look now and again to see what he's up to. He also does custom mounts for anyone interested. It's a lot easier to buy/sell animal parts in the northwest territories.
hope this helps

http://www.robertsonartworks.com/Home%20page.html
No offence, but i dont want anything to do with anyone who has a polar bear... unless its shot in the 1970's thats way too illegal. What you just described to me sounds shady. Thanks but no thanks. Im sure he does nice work. im not touching it with a 100ft pole.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:04 AM

knowledge is power my friend. the fact of the matter is that you can book a polar bear hunt in canada today if you so feel.

http://www.adventurenw.com/polar-bear-packages-price/

i don't get where you think it is illegal to hunt them. it is illegal to import them to the united states, but that is far different than being illegal to hunt.

each community in the polar bear zone is alloted a certain number of tags for polar bears per year. they try to sell them as outfitted hunts to bring in the most money, but the unused tags are filled by community members so they can sell the skins. it is one of their only sources of income. the bears across the street are bought and sold legally. fish and game are at his garage once a week checking his paperwork. there is NOTHING illegal about, but feel free to hang on to that 100 ft pole, that's entirely your decision.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 AM

Polar bears are endangered species. thats where i get that hunting them is illegal. No different than a grizzly. I dont know of any place in canada you can legally shoot a polar bear. I lived in manitoba for awhile. I'm not saying your wrong and things have changed, I'm just saying from what I am aware of is that hunting polar bears is illegal. If you can send me actual laws of nunavut or NWT or the yukon that would be great. I'll probably be goingmon google after this anyway, but the more info the better.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

extreme , It is legal to hunt polar bears in canada, But you have to book a hunt with the right people , Inuit can do this. I,m a tad sceptical of your questions and the difficulty your are infering all of this apparently giving you?
You have dealth with halfords and did not realise they bought and sold fur? or am I mistaken?
For us who have only one alternative in acquireing hides , IE: through the proper process It,s a fact we have to go this way. If I were you I would go this route for sure. Do I smell a STING in progress here?