Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Which company makes the best 17hmr

I am lookking to buy a 17. What do you fellas recommend?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Default 17 hmr

I own a cz 452 bolt action, there is no way of knowing if it's the best but it shoots straight in my hands. Remington makes a nice semi, if you can afford extra ammo involved with semi-auto gopher guns. Weatherby and Kimber probably have the highest priced bolt guns available, and Savage just came out with a nice looking high grade bolt action 17 as well, if you can get to like their wonky clip. Lots of good 17's on the market - tc Prohunter even has a 17 hmr barrel. Pick one, put a good scope on it and blast away - that's the best it can get.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 AM

hi cynergy,
i have the marlin ss laminate in hmr...it is the cheapest gun i own. its the most accurate also.
youll find that its the caliber that is accurate, it doesnt really seem to matter which delivery system is used.
check rimfirecentral.com these guys are the gurus of the rimfire from 11 to 32 caliber, if its rimfire its there.
my opinion:
-buy a good cleaning rod as well, one peice coated and designed for it (not aluminum) also premium cotton patches.
-adjustable trigger, either aftermarket or factory...a must for premium accuracy
-overscope it, the bigger the better, adjustable objective and up to 12x
-try all the available ammo brands and weights, one will just jump out from the rest, then buy a 5000 rounds of it. mine eats the hornady 17gr.
a 17 gr will effectively flop a coyote
-I got my hmr almost as soon as it hit the ground, the hmr has been subject to ammo availability over time, but seems to be smoother of late

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM

"Best" is a subjective term, but the truth is that almost any .17HMR will be pretty accurate. For the dollar, and I looked at pretty well everything made, the CZ 452 is hands down the best built. Uses 2 real locking lugs, it's smooth and deadly accurate. Once you find the feed it likes best .500" 100 yard groups are very common. Personally I liked the Lux, the European stocked version. It comes with a set of the finest open sights you'll ever look through, and that odd dropped cheek piece really works. The American is what you'd expect - high stock like on most of the rifles made in the US, no sights. Lots of people go for the Varmint, but you really don't ever heat up a .17 barrel much and the long barrel of the Lux really helps it not really give a damn what you use for ammo. Don't remember offhand what the length is but it's around 28". I have both the .17HMR and a .22WMR in the same gun, and they're both deadly. Good looking, too. Really nice walnut. Not kidding- you'll be tempted NOT to scope the Lux - it's that good with open sights. With a decent scope it's a laser gun! Should run around $475 brand new, and that's considerably less than a Ruger ( )
To beat the 452 you'd have to spend at least a grand minimum and probably still have to modify it to match the CZ. Triggers on them are superb. They can be lightened a lot, but for a shooting gun the factory set of around 3 lbs is light enough. Only oddball thing is that the safety is backwards from everything else you might be familiar with - you push forward to engage and back to shoot.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM

Buddy has the 452 and it is sweet but Accuracy bang for the buck and all things said the Savage is still top marks IMHO
Old 01-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Anschutz probably gets the best name for rimfires. I think the Savage 93R17's are good as well. They seem to do very well for accuracy considering the price differential. Some reviews here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rimfire_index_gun_reviews.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM

I am now on my second Savage 17HMR.....the first one was a Stainless / heavy barrel /Composite stock, it was Extremely Accurate....Well at least IMHO...I put 22 out of 25 shots into a 1" shoot n see @ 100 yards......and we put 7 out of 10 into a COLT CIGAR TIP...also @ 100 yds.I had a 6 - 18 x 50 MM Bushnell on top.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

Cooper
Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

My plain old Marlin 917v has worked very well for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

Don't know anything about the 17 so did a Google. Found this interesting

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/17M2/
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM

I have a .17 HMR CZ 452 American and i love it. I have yet to miss a shot with it so it must be accurate. I didn't really measure the groups it shot but they were very close together and consitant. Hands down it is a devistating round. I was shooting those big BC ground squirrels and it turned them inside out even at 100yrds+.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 PM
sheephunter

I think an Encore has to be the perfect 17HMR.......17HMR by day....416 Rigby by night....pretty cool I think. Never thought I'd see a rimfire Encore but I guess with all the buzz about the HMR, T/C figured why not.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 PM

I also have to say that I have had great success with my Savage 17hmr.
For the dollar I don't know of a better gun out of the box and it hits everything I point it at. I know I love it anyways.

Mav.......