Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 PM

Default Trapping ban in BC

Definitely time to unite!!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...XWA0mZKyEGh90g

Last edited by Nicole; 08-08-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Link does not work
Old 08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

"UNITE", you say..under what flag will it be this time.? If we continue to, time after time, keep putting our necks in our own snares, what else are we to expect. There already was a bylaw in place and - apparently- someone thought they were above the law. We have to protect ourselves from ourselves, if it was a legitimate trapper who did this... If not, then the one responsible has to be found, stripped and drug thru the market place to let others know where we stand. As it stood b4, this issue was something on the back burner, but now it is more than front page, it is FACEBOOK and to the many readers there, all to much is accepted as the truth, especially if there is not a retraction immmediately. I'm not touting appeasement but maybe, if there are wolves in the area, we have to let the wolves play their card and I pray no child will be hurt.
Thanks for the post. Even though the situation, is not in our back yard -YET- it can spread like a fire and like I said from the get-go, we must keep our back yard clean....
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Funny enough, the community in question is where I grew up.

I agree with sour-Doug, in the fact that no one should be trapping with snares or connibear traps within a community. Just stupid.

FWIW, the town council is made up of a bunch of misfits (I know one of them quite well - hope he doesn't read this) and hippies. The Town of Gibsons is quite small, and their bylaw will not effect legal trapping activity whatsoever.

The wolf trap was set out in the woods, I am sure, and it is jus an u fortunate situation where some dog walker got in trouble. However, this bylaw will not change that at all.

JMO
Old 08-10-2011, 12:54 AM

Fighting this would be wrong. We should be in suport of it, to show we are sensible outdoorsmen that we Do Not Trap where pets and people are likely to be hurt or killed. I would expect that Traping in any town village or city is illegal .
Pete
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Gone Hunting

To the best of my knowladge shooting is illegal in any community in Canada, yet we can still hunt outside of those communities.

I agree, we should stand in support of this bylaw. Irrisponsable trappers and hunters do far more to damage us then any anti trapping or anti trapping organization.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Fighting this would be wrong. We should be in suport of it, to show we are sensible outdoorsmen that we Do Not Trap where pets and people are likely to be hurt or killed. I would expect that Traping in any town village or city is illegal .
Pete

If we all support this just how do you suppose people in in these areas would deal with problem animals????????????? If the nice little creek flowin threw town gets dammed up floods the park and such, then the beavers cut down all the ornimental trees the town has paid good money to plant there, what happens then?????? Coons in your roof???? Mink killin old Mrs ____'s pet chickens, coyotes gettin agressive or even attackin people or kids????? Please explane to me how all the people who support bannin trapping in any form would deal with problems like this, and who will pay for it??? I am not sayin that this fella did the right thing, but if he was in the wrong, punish him not every one ellse that traps and makes a livin (pays taxes and permits) doing animal damage controle. Please enlighten me
Old 08-11-2011, 04:46 PM

The Govt. provincial, county/municipal / Town has ways to control problem wildlife in town limits.
Would you like a 330 conibear baited at the end of your walk? Got kids? pets?
Think about it. There is a diference between a trap line and a sidewalk.
Pete
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz269 View Post
If we all support this just how do you suppose people in in these areas would deal with problem animals????????????? If the nice little creek flowin threw town gets dammed up floods the park and such, then the beavers cut down all the ornimental trees the town has paid good money to plant there, what happens then?????? Coons in your roof???? Mink killin old Mrs ____'s pet chickens, coyotes gettin agressive or even attackin people or kids????? Please explane to me how all the people who support bannin trapping in any form would deal with problems like this, and who will pay for it??? I am not sayin that this fella did the right thing, but if he was in the wrong, punish him not every one ellse that traps and makes a livin (pays taxes and permits) doing animal damage controle. Please enlighten me
I was raised just up the coast from Gibsons.

When beavers dammed up the culvert at my mom's place, they placed a grate in it. The beavers moved on. Such is life when you live on a lake and have a creek running through your yard. Removing beavers is like removing stray cats - if the environment/habitat is available, it will be used until it is made un-useable. Please keep in mind that I speak only from my own experiences.

If there are coons in the roof, they call up a nice lady named Cindy Rudolf, and she removes them with live traps and will continue to do so until the day she dies. I adore that woman.

Mink killing chickens...well, not alot of people there have chickens. Something about zoning. But...I imagine the mink would be loved. Lol, if it was me, and the mink insisted on coming around, I would provide an alternate food source. It's a win-win, he gets to eat and I get to keep my chickens alive. If he really insisted on the chickens, well, maybe I shouldn't have chickens. And if I got rid of the chickens he'd go away completely. That being said, I guess I just don't believe in killing animals that simply "interfere" with my life. Anyways.

I don't know what they do with "bad" 'yotes, I imagine Gibsons Wildlife Rehab would be involved, and the F&W or whatever equivalent we have over there. I know "they" sure wouldn't be trapping them with the intent to kill with the trap. They'd live trap them and relocate them and shoot the sick or weak etc if necessary. I don't know any of this for a fact, I'm just speculating. Lol.

I'm glad they did it. If I was wandering the trails by the beach with my dog and she stepped into any sort of trap, I'd have someone's balls. I don't have a kid...but there is lots of bush to play in back home and, well, you can guess the rest.

Who will pay for it? I don't know, my guess would be the same "people" who already do.

*note* no sarcasm/snarkyness intended whatsoever. Just trying to convey what I know from growing up there...I've been away 5 years but the mentality of the place will always be the same.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If we all support this just how do you suppose people in in these areas would deal with problem animals?????????????
They could prove themselves hypocrites and trap them themselves, or they could learn why trapping is necessary, if done properly.

Quote:
If the nice little creek flowin threw town gets dammed up floods the park and such, then the beavers cut down all the ornimental trees the town has paid good money to plant there, what happens then?????? Coons in your roof???? Mink killin old Mrs ____'s pet chickens, coyotes gettin agressive or even attackin people or kids????? Please explane to me how all the people who support bannin trapping in any form would deal with problems like this, and who will pay for it???

Animals damaging property and the environment is nothing new. Country folks have been dealing with it for centuries, at their own expense.
It's about time those animal rights nuts learned what it's like to have wildlife problems.

Sure I know, a lot of folks who didn't side with the likes of Paul Watson will pay as well. That's unfortunate. Maybe they should have faced down those protesters years ago.
Now the damage is done, and I for one have no interest in bailing out folks who stood by and watched my lively hood being decimated.

At one time I was employed as a wildlife control person (county trapper), and today I do that job for my neighbours and friends. But I DO NOT do any trapping for the general public anymore. The public has spoken, they want trapping to end forever. I have no problem with that, there are other ways to deal with animal problems.
So let the public have it's wish, lets end trapping forever.

Oh and by the way, if you think beavers gnawing down a few trees is bad, just wait till the next Rabies Plaque arrives. It won't be long now.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
I don't know what they do with "bad" 'yotes, I imagine Gibsons Wildlife Rehab would be involved, and the F&W or whatever equivalent we have over there. I know "they" sure wouldn't be trapping them with the intent to kill with the trap. They'd live trap them and relocate them and shoot the sick or weak etc if necessary. I don't know any of this for a fact, I'm just speculating. Lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
The Govt. provincial, county/municipal / Town has ways to control problem wildlife in town limits.
Would you like a 330 conibear baited at the end of your walk? Got kids? pets?
Think about it. There is a diference between a trap line and a sidewalk.
Pete

I am sure they do have ways of contlroling wild life inside town limits,,,,They hire a TRAPPER to come in and remove the ofending animal. I have kids and pets as well as farm animals and funny you should menchan a 330 at the end of my drive way, because last winter when a lynx was eyen up my chickens, and walkin around the pen I did have a 330 in a baited cubbie in my front yard, next day no more lynx problem. I think you should also go to the Minestry of lands and take a look at the map for reg trap lines in BC, every foot of the province is divided up into trap lines. Like I said in the first post if the guy broke the rules and also used bad judgement then punish him not every one else who traps.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Outwalking, please dont take this as me bieng crappy to you but there are a few big misconseptions in your post.

As for puttin grills on colverts that wont stop beaver from dammin up a culvert all it does is make it so every morning a crew can come out and pull the grill and clean it out, eventuly that beaver will give up and move on. Soon enough another will come and try again. Your tax dollers pay for those men and machiens to keep commin back and cleanin the grill, this adds up fast, so if you dont like higher taxes to cover the causts.....

Live traps for removing problem animals are great and often the right tool for the job, but the rules in BC clearly state that you have to iether instantly dispatch the animal or relocate it within 500m of the catch site. How long would it take a coon to go 500m back to were you caught it. I also hope this lady doing the good deed has her permits up to date especial since you put her name out there, cause you nead a trappers licence to set a cage trap, a permit to trap fur berring animals out of open seasons and I dont even want to think of the paper you would nead to get to transport live animals legaly.

With the mink statement, I dont know if many people in Gibsons have chickens, but this ban is a foot in the door for them to try it every were, including places were people do raize chickens. We have chickens, we eat them and the eggs, as well as sell birds and eggs, it is part of our farm income so just gettin rid of them instead of removing a problem mink isnt realy an option, that is unless some one wants to step up and cover the money that they bring into my family every year to save that mink. As far as feeding the mink I belive there are laws against feedin wild life, and even if there isnt, it is still a bad idea, wild animals should never be dependint on people for thier food, it never ends well. Soon you will be feedin many and that is how you start spreading diseases and they all end up dead as well as any wild ones they come into contact with.

As for the "bad coyote" part I think tommyguitar summed it up well.

I too would feel bad for you and your dog if it got caught in a trap, lucky for you in BC and all of Canada for that fact we have to use very humane foot traps, and your dog could be eazaly released, I have caught mine more than once and she is fine, as for gettin some one buy the balls, you could find it was you in the wrong if it was a legaly set trap and you wernt following leash laws. Dont get me wrong I dont keep my dog on a leash while we are out in the bush iether but I am grown up enough to take responsibilty for my actions, and would relize that my dog would not be in a trap if I had done my part and kept her under my controle, on a leash. There are many tenures on the crown land in the province, it is not just a big dog park.

As for who pays for it, I quit trappin beavers close to the raod this spring because the highways contracters were distroying my traps with thier hoe while tryin to pull beaver dams, it was caustin me to much in hard were. Well just from the repair to roads and tryin to pull dams and unplug colverts, that I have sean I figured that it has caust them over $35,000 already this year. I had a coffey with one of thier forman awhile back and aperintly my geuss was realy low, he says he will make sure and phone me befor the machiens leave the yard next spring. Geuss who pays for these unforsean repairs,,,,,,,,,,,The tax payers.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Kegriver, thank you, you get it.