Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 08:38 PM

Default West coast trail 2017

I am booking our trip right away in the new year. We know when we are going but I need to pick some people's brains about the logistics of the trip. Where to fly into? on the island? If there are some seasoned hikers of the trail that wouldn't mind helping a guy out with a bunch of questions I would sure appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 PM

The WCT is for Eco Tourists, Tree Huggers, Paddle Boarders and Granola Crunchers. It's hardly a fittin' place for the manly men from this forum to be discussin' in public.

On the serious side, it's a good little hike. Go in late July when you have less chance of rain. Plan it with the long term weather forecast. If you're solo or with another person you can generally be a "walk on" the next day. Fly to Victoria and bus it to the Port Renfrew end. Get a cheese wagon or a water taxi ride back from Pachena Bay or Bamfield.

Enjoy.

http://www.westcoasttrail.com/the-trail/
Old 12-27-2016, 10:35 PM

My gIrlfriend and i did it back around the end of September 2015 and had an awesome time. we hopped onto a shuttle bus in Nanaimo that took us up to bamfield. the shuttles will take you to either starting points i believe. when we hiked it it basically rained every day, we even got 38mm one day that turned the trail into a river lol. luckily we had sealskinz socks(waterproof socks) that kept our feet dry and blister free for the whole thing. another thing that helped us was keeping our pack weight pretty low. we managed to limit them to 35 lbs, while we noticed others with packs between 50-65lbs at the weigh in. if you want anymore info or have questions fell free to drop a pm.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 AM

We are planning on flying into Victoria, does anybody know if there is any kind of shuttle that will get us from there to Port Renfrew? From there we will then catch a shuttle to Bamfield? Or is the best bet to rent a car for the week and park at Port Renfrew?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:10 PM

West Coast Trail Express is the bus you want.

http://www.trailbus.com/

They will shuttle you to or from each end or to intermediate points. Depending on your party size - a car rental may be a cheaper option. Keep in mind, you'll want to pay a few bucks for secure vehicle parking at Port Renfrew.

Also keep an eye on this site if he opens up and runs the water taxi again from Bamfield to Port Renfrew. I'm not sure if Brian is reopening. That's by far the best way to shuttle back and to see where you've hiked - especially with this guy at the helm.

http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/juanfuca.htm
Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
We are planning on flying into Victoria, does anybody know if there is any kind of shuttle that will get us from there to Port Renfrew? From there we will then catch a shuttle to Bamfield? Or is the best bet to rent a car for the week and park at Port Renfrew?
The best way - in my opinion - is to start at the Port Renfrew end. Your first day of the trail between Gordon River and Thrasher Cove is probably the roughest and least scenic part of the entire hike. It's only 7 km or so but dependding on your abilities, it might take you the same number of hours to get to your first campsite.

Get it over and done with the first day and then enjoy the rest of the hike. Much more interesting and scenic than what you will encounter the first day on the trail.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
West Coast Trail Express is the bus you want.

http://www.trailbus.com/

They will shuttle you to or from each end or to intermediate points. Depending on your party size - a car rental may be a cheaper option. Keep in mind, you'll want to pay a few bucks for secure vehicle parking at Port Renfrew.

Also keep an eye on this site if he opens up and runs the water taxi again from Bamfield to Port Renfrew. I'm not sure if Brian is reopening. That's by far the best way to shuttle back and to see where you've hiked - especially with this guy at the helm.

http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/juanfuca.htm
That's the info I was looking for Thanks Jim! It doesnt look like the water taxi is an option tho, which is too bad because that's the way I wanted to travel back!
Old 12-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Have fun! I'm looking at some long-distance hikes myself soon. Gonna start small too and when I can manage more time get around to some of the long ones.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Banned

I'll be out on the trail next summer also

Already did the Juan de Fuca trail, now for the WCT. This is another good forum for info:

http://forums.clubtread.com/
Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Lots for good advice - I already wrote mine in another thread for someone else last year.

Read this thread for some gooders

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=286939
Old 12-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
Lots for good advice - I already wrote mine in another thread for someone else last year.

Read this thread for some gooders

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=286939
This is how I think we are going to do it. Fly into Victoria and rent a car, leave it at Renfrew. It doesn't sound like the water taxi is running anymore, so we will be busing it to the North end. If the water taxi was running we would definitely be taking the boat.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
I am booking our trip right away in the new year. We know when we are going but I need to pick some people's brains about the logistics of the trip. Where to fly into? on the island? If there are some seasoned hikers of the trail that wouldn't mind helping a guy out with a bunch of questions I would sure appreciate it! Thanks in advance!
Does WestJet not fly into YYJ?
Trailhead Cabin Rental in Port Renfrew had a shuttle a few years ago, not sure what the situation is.
Book everything well in advance and be ready for the unexpected.
Also I hear the beer and the burgers at the North End are dam tasty after several days on the trail.
If the Pacheedaht Band or someone from the Band isnt running a water taxi there are lots of locals who will run you and your gear over for a fee I'm sure.
Rob
Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Trips booked, took less than 20 min for all of July and August to fill up, all you can do now is do half the hike. I couldn't believe it when I was trying to book my spot i couldn't get my first choice, got looking at dates and the only day left was the day before so I grabbed it. You would think it was a Garth brooks concert!!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Both my sons booked and got their dates separately -2 different groups on different dates-brotherly love in action. Not sure the dates, but they are pleased.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM

7000 people are on that trail every year I guess, thats a lot of hikers from around the world!
Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Tried for July/August all filled. Going in June now...which is still alright with me and mine.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:03 PM

Talked to youngest son-Group of 3 going from Victoria to Gordon River-Early May.
Shooting for 4-5 days

Mid 20's-uber fit- all heading to another summer of tree planting in BC after the hike

All of group has done portions of the Juan de Fuca trail many times on days off-2-3 day trips every month

Last edited by omega50; 01-10-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Default BC Trail

Plan your hike so end at your car. When you get there ,park and get ride to other end and hike toward your car, so when you finish ANY time of the day, you have your car ready to go.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:02 PM

I am the dried meat/protein guy for their trips.

Just like when they were lil sprouts growing up in Turner Valley and going on over nighters

Dried
Fat/Fruit/Meat easey peasey lemon sqeezey
Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Anyone know is Chez Monique's still open?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Anyone know is Chez Monique's still open?

I know it was the summer of 2015.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 PM

Chez Monique - https://www.facebook.com/groups/105347032833070/
Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

Right on.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

10 days till were off......

Anyone else heading out soon? Wonder how wet the old trail is
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 PM

WCT is fantastic. Have done it twice, both starting from the North end. Parked at the south side campground and used the shuttle to take us up to the start. Hiked it both times taking 5 days but would recommend 6-7 days as the better way to go. IMHO 5 days means a couple long days and there are some fantastic campgrounds that would have been nice to stay at or hang out for an extra day...rather than hiking past them and continuing on.

Blisters n Bliss trail guide helps but biggest thing is take a little cash to buy a crab meal and cold drink from the Nitnat ferry crossing!!

Enjoy
Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 AM
Banned

All done. 7 days......6 nights.

Sun for the first 6 and rain for the last day. Started at Renfrew and finished at Bamfield. Wonderful time had by all, great beaches, weather was outstanding, wildlife abound, friendly people from all over the world, great burger and fish, blisters and bliss indeed.

Didn't get any souvenirs, only a few stickers, buoy, big rock and lots of sand.

Great trip.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:17 AM

Default Very cool!

Congrats man!

I sooo wanna do this!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-11-2017, 11:20 AM

Leaving today to head for the Island, looks like all of B.C is under a fire ban.... I'm sure it will be an awesome experience. Taking 8 days to do it, gonna be a walk in the Park!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Almost lost my friend on the west coast trail a little over a week ago. 4th day on the trail he noticed his leg was not feeling right. Within a couple hours he had to be taken off the trail by boat and taken to hospital. He was fortunate the boater was nearby or he would have been toast. Turns out he picked up a bacteria through a scratch he had on his leg. And that bacteria turned out to be a form of flesh eating disease. He is still in hospital for a couple more weeks at least.

He also mentioned the trail was very challenging for a 63 year old man in good shape. He mentioned that climbing ladders on the trail with back packs wasn't much fun.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets