Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Default Golden retriever breeders

Well the time has come for the wife and I to start searching for a dog. We are looking for a reputable golden retriever breeder preferably within a few hours of Calgary. We are also looking for a field bred rather than show golden. I know there are lots of back yard breeders out there but thought I would search here first since there are lots of bird folk that would most likely have better advice and experience. The dog will be a family member first and foremost but will be living in an active outdoor household. If I can invest the time myself with the retrieving side and get it into birds...well that's a bonus.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Try Glen at Gold Wing Kennels in Magrath

He is a great trainer of retrievers and if he does not have any goldens he will for sure put you onto a reliable and decent breeder. Have not talked to Glen in quite a few yrs so do not know for sure if he is still in the dog bus. but still worth a shot.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 PM

We are still considered breeders of field trial quality and hunting goldens and labs but will not have a litter until 2018 at the earliest as we are waiting for the certificates and clearances on the young female (the old gal is now 11) that can not be done until she turns 2 this coming November. As you have noted back yard breeders of goldens as the very popular breed are everywhere but in Alberta I would only recommend Glen (already mentioned above) Ron Bishke in Lethbridge or Bob James or his daughter Heather in Canmore. Bill Bennett in Ontario recently lost his female so he is no longer a possibility but both Jim (Oldgutpile) and myself have outstanding dogs out of Bills breedings from a few years ago. Take lots of time and do lots of research. This is a wonderful 15 year investment of time, so the more you put into the selection and training the better dog you will get. My 3 year old male has over 700 upland retrieves and very nearly the same in waterfowl action.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Default Listen to Birds!

That's good advice and I'd take it if I were you. This dog will be a family member and be with you about 15 years, don't make a huge mistake at the beginning.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 AM
Banned

Look abroad. Don't feel limited by Western Canada.
It's easy to import a puppy 8 weeks old if you hand carry across customs. All you need is a few shots ( not rabies ) and a vet clearance within the last 48 hours of customs arrival.

I drove across the border to pick my pup up in Spokane which was flown up from the Florida Panhandle but it was not a Golden.

It's very very easy and the last comment about being a family member for a long time should encourage you to search for the best to fit your style.

As with many things, the Canadian market is simply too limited.

Delta Dash Service flying a pup was fantastic. With a phone call we knew his exact status on that travel day going from Pensacola to Atlanta then Salt Lake City then Spokane. 12 hours travel time.

Pup was sure happy to see the door swing open on his kennel.

It's good to bring some great new genetics into Canada if chosen correctly.

I went for the Chesapeake Bay Retriever for a higher level of alertness on protection.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 05-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 AM

My lil sister trained a golden herself when she was 13/14 year old. Her golden retriever that first year went on to be a Canadian Champion show dog by 10 months old and then a North American Champion shortly thereafter.

Her dog was like 3rd pick of the litter and come from a long line of champion show and field trials. My sis went to shows or had another handler show her dog. My sis had her dog bred and the first litter had pups go all over NA. The second little had even more as the first litter top picks did very well in shows.

I will ask her as she still kept in contact with some top breeders and get back to this post if she knows any.

All I can say is Golden Retrievers are a very gentle, beautiful natured dog, that loves the water.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Default You might get lucky

But show and conformation champions are like another breed compared to a working retriever.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM

Golden acres in Sherwood park ab,talk to sue.well rounded dogs
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 PM

A big thanks to all those that replied and keep the suggestions coming. I'd prefer something that is closer to Calgary for the fact that my wife and I would like to meet the parent dogs as well as the owners and we would like the owners to meet us. We feel that this is would lead to the right fit for both parties.
As far as show dogs go, we would prefer the field breed. The sleekness, agile background and sport qualities best fit our intentions. The show breeds are great and I'm sure we could find a fantastic dog within the standard, but at the current time it is just not quite what we are looking for.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Here are a few very reputable field golden breeders in Western Canada/US...

- Heads Up Kennels (our current pup is from this breeder)
- Saturday Night Goldens
- Thunderstruck Retrievers
- Zaniri Golden Retrievers
- Smoke N' Gold Retrievers

Just google and you'll find their websites. Often long wait lists but well worth it.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:55 PM

I've owned 4 goldens used for upland and waterfowl. I currently have an 11 month old from Tidewater Goldens from Guelph, Ontario. By far the most trainable dog I've had: wonderful about the house, other dogs, and loves people. Great on/off switch. We'll see how he does with birds as he's just getting into more formal training but was hunting ducks last autumn as a pup and loved watching the big dogs work. He's birdy as all get out so that bodes well: watches every goose that goes by. My last dog was from Ambertrail Goldens also from Ontario: hard headed but would hunt hard but not a fun dog to train or have about the house (e.g., food bowl issues) and aggressive with other dogs. That dog died at 3.5 years of age from lymphoma - could be chance or could be the breeding. I'll not buy a dog there again or from those lines. I also had a golden from Goldwings in Magrath. Great dog - loved upland and solid on waterfowl. He was a bit of a runt (whole litter was - wouldn't take a pup from such a litter again). That dog had a honking cough his whole 8.5 years. Have a look on k9data.com to check the inbreeding. Some breeders line breed - potential troubles. Look for "view genetic information" in breeding on that website (breeders should post the test breeding). Higher than average coefficient of inbreeding could be trouble. After all that, my first golden was bred by 2 friends: both parents hunted and that dog was amazing - could line a fallen bird for a long long way - lost very few with her. Only very distant field trial lines but that was over 20 years ago and the show lines can be problematic. Lots of good dogs out there - lots of hard headed dogs too. Some with weird coats. Watch that hips, knees, and heart are good. There's no guarantee but a bit more upfront might save a lot of vet bills down the road. Be prepared to wait for a good pup from the breeding you want. With my current pup, I'd say he was 100% worth waiting a few extra months.