Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Some feel that the cross bolt safety is redundant as the original safety is the half cock position of the hammer. Marlin's didn't get the cross bolt safety until the 1980's after the lawyer's got involved.

If you've become accustomed to using the half cocked hammer, some claim the cross bolt can inadvertently be shifted to the on position resulting in only a loud click when you pull the trigger on the animal of a lifetime.

I've got rifles with both set ups. My suggestion for rifles that have both is for the owner to get into the habit of using one or the other as their safety.

A safety delete does also make for a cleaner looking rifle though.
I have a 444 Marlin with the cross bolt safety. Not once has the cross bolt safety caused me concerns. In fact, I like it for when I eject all of my shells out of the tube. The safety knob has never ever come into safety and caused any issues for me. When hunting, I chamber a shell into the chamber and release the hammer. When opportunity presents itself, I simply pull the hammer back. But there is a major draw back to all of this, one must be smarter than a cross bolt safety. I do realize these days, that's a tall order.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Love those Marlin big bores. I know you will have many good times with yours.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crumbz View Post
Newer Marlin owner myself. I got the safety delete; I plan on hunting with my SBL. What made me decide to get the delete was at my first range trip not once but twice; the safety shifter over and click no bang!
There is another option. You can remove the butt stock (1 bolt in the tang) and in the back of the receiver you'll see a set screw for the cross bolt safety. If you tighten it in when the safety is in the off position it'll make it so the cross bolt can't be slid across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
When hunting, I chamber a shell into the chamber and release the hammer. When opportunity presents itself, I simply pull the hammer back. [/B]
That's what the half cock position is for. Not sure I'd want a closed hammer with a shell in the chamber, but to each his own.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crumbz View Post
Newer Marlin owner myself. I got the safety delete; I plan on hunting with my SBL. What made me decide to get the delete was at my first range trip not once but twice; the safety shifter over and click no bang!
Just as a follow up, an even cheaper and non-permanent fix is to get the proper sized o-ring and slip it over the end of the cross bolt safety when it is in the "fire" position. IE. exposed on the left side of the receiver. This will actually prevent the cross bolt from sliding across and can be removed easily at any time.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Some feel that the cross bolt safety is redundant as the original safety is the half cock position of the hammer. Marlin's didn't get the cross bolt safety until the 1980's after the lawyer's got involved.

If you've become accustomed to using the half cocked hammer, some claim the cross bolt can inadvertently be shifted to the on position resulting in only a loud click when you pull the trigger on the animal of a lifetime.

I've got rifles with both set ups. My suggestion for rifles that have both is for the owner to get into the habit of using one or the other as their safety.

A safety delete does also make for a cleaner looking rifle though.
I carry mine as a bush gun when we go out doing nything and just for context last year alone we had grizzlies in our yard no fewer that 15 times. To me the safety delete is not about the animal of a lifetime, its about the animal that might end my life
Old 04-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
I carry mine as a bush gun when we go out doing nything and just for context last year alone we had grizzlies in our yard no fewer that 15 times. To me the safety delete is not about the animal of a lifetime, its about the animal that might end my life
Yup, there's that. Although you could argue that's an animal of a lifetime too..........yours.