Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Default Red Dot Advice

I am looking for a little red dot scope for a youth model 22.

These three things are a must
1. Must hold and maintain a zero
2. Dot must be visible all the time
3. The cheaper the better, must stay under $100

Never had any experience with red dot.
Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I am looking for a little red dot scope for a youth model 22.

These three things are a must
1. Must hold and maintain a zero
2. Dot must be visible all the time
3. The cheaper the better, must stay under $100

Never had any experience with red dot.
Thanks in advance
What you want doesn't exist. Under $100 they are all junk and won't last, even on a 22. Cheapest decent red dots are Vortex SPARC in tube style or Bushnell in Reflex style. I am not a Vortex fan but they are one of the few that lifetime warranty their electronic sites and that is well worth the extra money you spend because electronic sites are not cheap to fix or replace.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Banned

I'll beg to differ with the previous poster.
Have had one of these https://www.dlairgun.com/Dot-Sights/...P-DS3068W.html on a Mossberg 715T (AR style .22) for four years and about 10000 rounds.
Hold zero fine.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 PM

Default Move up a tiny bit

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/12626/...-red-dot-scope
The bushnell trs25 is the cheapest red dot I would buy. I've tried a few cheaper but this one is bulletproof. Looks like a rebate right now too. Red dots under this price point (and even some above) are a fools game suitable for airsoft toys only. Ask me how I know. In the long run this one ends up being less money
Old 03-30-2017, 08:11 PM

So would you use a red dot for a youth model 22 is it something that would be easy for a kid use.
Would be open to other ideas I just thought this would be easy and cheap. But it seems they seldom go together.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
So would you use a red dot for a youth model 22 is it something that would be easy for a kid use.
Would be open to other ideas I just thought this would be easy and cheap. But it seems they seldom go together.
IMO if you can't afford the scope I'd assume the ammo cost would. a 555 pack is $50 ish
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM

I think kids need to learn with iron sights before they get any kind of scope
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 PM

so a cheaper one like the $60 tasco propoint can work but might not, it's been my experience with the lower priced dots you could return/exchange it to the store a few times before you get one that lasts.

you are right in thinking a red dot is probably the easiest to use for anybody and I don't want to steer you away from that but know that sub $100 is usually a gamble
Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 PM

Bushnell trs-25 is 106.67 on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Bushnell-Troph.../dp/B00200E0HM
Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I think kids need to learn with iron sights before they get any kind of scope
I originally thought that two, as that's the way I was taught. But the second I got a hunting license out came the big game rifles and they where all scoped. So why change things the second you start hunting and have to learn to shoot from a scope when you start hunting why not just be proficient with it to start.
It's like when I was a kid learning to ride a pedal bikes you learn on a tricycle , move to a two wheeler with training wheels. Then take them off and fall down a lot when trying to pedal. Where as today it a two wheeler run bike and right into pedals.
The point I'm making is you transition much easier.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice I will check out one of those Bushnells
Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 AM

I just bought the truglo red dot nulti colour, multi reticle sight from bass pro on friday and I'm impressed on how well it did on my 22 I was litterally hitting dimes at about 35 yards once I got it dialed in. It was $150 and I bought the bass pro warrenty with it for $20 and they told me that if anything happens to it at all that they will straight up replace it. All in all I love it so far.

http://www.truglo.com/optics-red-dot...-dot-sight.asp
Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 AM

I have Riorand red dot on my 12 gauge. 30$ shipped from amazon. Its held zero for over 2 years now. It's red and green, plus you have the option of 4 different reticles. I originally bought 2 of them thinking it was a sweet deal and might need a back up. The other is sitting in the box since day one.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM

My two cents is have the kid shoot with irons. Transitioning to a scoped rifle is really easy. Everything for posture and holding the firearm is the same just easier to aquire and see your target.

I started with irons and moved to a scoped rifle. Recently wanted to use a vintage area rifle and was sure glad I already knew how to shoot with irons. Had to brush up a little and am not the most proficient. I was able to go hunting with the rifle of choice that year. I attribute that to starting shooting iron sites.

If not probably easier and cheaper to pick up a little rimfire scope than a red dot. I have a Simmons 4x32 22 mag scope on my 10/22. It has been reliable over the years. Not the best glass around but definitely usable.

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 04-03-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
In your original post you said you never had experience with a red dot. My question then, is why would you want one for a kid to start with. I would start a kid with iron or a low rimf scope.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM

I originally answered the question that was asked but on the expanded question I too am old fashioned. I believe teaching a kid how to use open sights is the proper grounding in good shooting habits. Learning to align open sights and how to adjust the rear, front etc to zero the gun is a very important beginning to understanding fully how aiming systems work. All scopes, red dot, aperture sights etc are just a derivative of the blade front and buck horn rear sight. Properly taught, most kids can shoot aperture sights just as well as they can a scope, and that is very good training.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM

I started with iron on a .22 and then tried my dad's scoped .22. I did shoot slightly better with the scoped rifle but I preferred my single cooey with iron. I had no problem shooting my dad's center fire with scope and my first game animal which was an antelope. When I got my first rifle a .284 Winchester I used the iron to kill my first mule deer. I have two scoped .22s and an old cooey with iron. I have more fun with the iron.

I know many who have never tried iron and don't know what they are missing.