Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Default Varmageddon for coyotes??

Anybody here using Varmageddon ammo for coyotes care to share your results?
I'm thinking it might be a nice/fur friendly load with no exit or minimal small fragment exit holes,am I way off base here?
So a buncha questions,please chime in with personal experience.
-1st of all I'll disclose that I am brand new to .243Win but not new to coyote hunting,and shopping for a coyote/possibly wolf pills for it yesterday,took a hard look at the 55gr Varmageddon but held off on buying,soooooo...

-any issues with complete lack of penetration,ie;maybe a shoulder hit/unrecovered/lost yotes?

-on that^^ note,re; penetration,would it be suitable for wolf or am I completely out to lunch?Im kinda thinking if there's no way in hell you'd use it for deer,then I probly have no business considering it as suitable for wolf?

-how's the accuracy in a .243 w/ 1:9 twist?
-any thoughts on premature bore erosion as a result of shooting such a hot .243 load(3800fps MV) in a 1:9?
-accuracy potential from 1:9/22" barrel?Ive "read" that "some" 1:10 and faster .243s will shoot 55-75gr pills just fine,others not so much?
Appreciate any and all input,that said,I've already read and searched and researched enough internet babble and theories and opinions,so I'm far more interested in hands on/REAL world/range and field experience with this particular round on yotes and especially wolves if applicable?
Aaannnnnd go........