Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 11:54 PM

Default canmore archery/bowhunters

Hi, I'm an Aussie guy and just moved to canmore. I've been bowhunting for years and looking to do a few 3d shoots or target shoots for practice close by. Is there anything around here or is the closest place to go being Calgary? Is there many bowhunters in the canmore area on here?
cheers
Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 AM

Default Camnore

Hi, you live in a great bowhunting location. Unfortunately the area is small and quite chopped up by parks and no hunting areas. Talk to the local game warden and you can buy a map and start looking. As long as you aren't in the non hunting areas you can set up a target and shoot. If you're a traditional shooter let me know and I'll fill you in on better info....pertaining to that kind of bow.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM

Thanks, yeah I seen fish and game yesterday and grabbed a map. Exshaw is crown land I believe so can set a target up there.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Check in with Nick at Wapiti Sports in Canmore. He may be able to line you up with some other Canmore bowhunters - there's lots.
Nick carries a good amount of archery gear, and can order in just about anything you need at very competitive pricing. It's nice to drool over all the game mounts on his walls too!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Lots of great area there. Spent most of my life there, living in Calgary now but I do all my hunting out there. IHunter app very helful for that area, pm me if you want some accompanyment for the season. Good 3D here in the city at Jim Bows!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:05 PM

Thanks. Yeah I'm going to take the bow in for a shot next Friday at Jim bows. Visiting the outdoor show in calgary. Yeah always welcome a bit of company
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM

You are not allowed to target shoot in the Wildland Provincial Parks (WPP). You can hunt, but you will get ticketed by the Conservation Officers for target shooting in a WPP (even with a bow!) The Fish and Wildlife officers are better (being hunters themselves, mostly) - but there is a distinct difference between F&W and CO's.

You need to go east out of the WPP to target shoot; Esxhaw area is good.
Like the others said, get the maps (sounds like you did) and go talk to the guys at Wapiti Sports. They will get you started. And carry bear spray or something like it.
Send me a pm if you want more info
Old 01-28-2015, 08:50 PM

They have a nice range in Canmore too. The targets go out to 60 yards and you can shoot from under a roofed area. I have only been there as a guest so I don't know the name but they share a facility with a rifle range and it shouldn't be hard to find.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Tried the canmore range. Can't shoot or join the range unless sponsored by a member which none I know.
Thanks mate I'll talk to them more at wapiti sports
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas30 View Post
Tried the canmore range. Can't shoot or join the range unless sponsored by a member which none I know.
Wow ...thats a little underground ..what are they stone masons...lol...

If they have a shoot night maybe go and spectate and get to know the crew...

May want to know a little about stone masonary...lol

Neil
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Yeah I don't know what's going on there haha. I only wanted to use the archery range, have my firearms licence but doubt I'd ever use the rifle range.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas30 View Post
WOW! I went as a guest but I wonder how my friend joined since I introduced him to archery? lol He does know lots of people though. That's a strange policy, maybe they've had pressure to shut it down or "bad" members in the pat so they're being very restrictive?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Kind of annoying since it's so close
Old 01-30-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
WOW! I went as a guest but I wonder how my friend joined since I introduced him to archery? lol He does know lots of people though. That's a strange policy, maybe they've had pressure to shut it down or "bad" members in the pat so they're being very restrictive?
In reality it may simply just be a private club not open to the general public...

Neil
Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM

It is a private range, and there has to be a range officer on site anytime anyone uses it (not all members are range officers). And on top of that members can only sponsor one person for membership per year.
Likely there were issues in the past, but I don't know what they are or were. I know there was some question of them having their lease renewed a year or two back, and I am not sure how it was sorted out.

They need someone to open an archery lane in Canmore; I hear there are lots of young kids trying to get into competitions that have no place to shoot. Can't even shoot in your backyard, even when it backs onto a mountain!