Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Do Nocks or Serving wear out?

Hey all. I was at the range the other day. arrow nocked, drew back set my anchor, was ready to release, when i felt something brush my belly, and a plink on the floor. Almost thought nothing of it, but pulled my bow off my face, and the arrow had come off nock, and slid to the floor. Was pretty shaken up about almost dry firing, i packed up and went home, so i never did check clearances on the offending arrow.

Later, shooting in my basement I made sure to double check each time nocking all my arrowarrow. and they all seamed somewhat snug to me. I've literally shot thousands of shots with the same serving, and same nocks. Just wondering if they wear out over time, and should be replaced at certain intervals.

Another reason, I could have felt rushed, and not properly nocked til it "clicked" (seams unlikely). I am somewhat of an intovert, and it was busy at the CAC that day, I do sometimes get flustered, when people rush their shots, and watch me while i take my time.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM

nocks can get loose over time try pinching the end to try tighten it up... serving can wear over time it takes a lot of shooting to do that
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 01-29-2015, 02:20 PM

its rare to have to change a whole stock of nocks...some do wear, most have been ruined by near Robin hood shots, or wild shots...check often...

The culprit 99% of the time is the serving...some stock servings on some brands and years come too small or large for all nocks..

Wear or thin serving will result in your issue...a too thick serving causes many tuning issue...

one should have nock "snap"on serving but move up and down serving...or pull back 1 inch, release in safe direction and nock should release...

new servings are easy to replace ...all Pro shops can/will re-serve...

usually a .25 thou serving is used ..or thinner with a tag [strand of serving run full length under serving]

very loose nocks can indeed result in a dry fire if arrow falls off on draw...

Replace serving sooner than Now...lol

Neil
Old 01-30-2015, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. will get serving changed out.

string is starting to grow whiskers. might as well change out the whole she-bang.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrks_jnz View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. will get serving changed out.

string is starting to grow whiskers. might as well change out the whole she-bang.
Pending on age of bow or last string change...sometimes a fussy string is just a sign that your not waxing string enough...even if a string has fuzz or whiskers it still may be in good shape, waxing may make it look brand new!

However if string has many thousands of shots and is two years old or more ...it most likely better to change string...

Waxing string and changing it periodically is the only real maintainace one has to do for a bow...[dust it off once a year whether it needs it or not...lol]

Reserve that string, replace with new string and you will have a good shot in spare string on hand...stuff happens!!

Neil