Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Default Coyote snaring advice

I have snares set out around a bait pile for the last 4 days. Nothing so far, not even a track. I have the bait in thick willows. I'm new to this coyote snaring business, is this normal? or is 4 days and no luck a sign to find a new area and start over?
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Sometimes it takes a while for them to find a new bait. Once a bait is established they will come year round. And if you were to bait it again next winter, they'll be waiting for you....
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Banned

Did you put the snares up as soon as you put the bait out? I like to put the bait out for a bit so the coyotes have time to find it and make trails to it. The coyotes also get used to coming in for a free meal and are not as cautious. Other fellas put their snares up as soon as the bait is out and they are successful though. Generally, I make a bait site just inside of the treeline so the coyotes can see the birds from a distance.

Maybe some scent lure would help them find and get them coming into the area.

My snaring has been very slow since the snow storm but I think that the coyotes have gotten snare smart and are avoiding my bait sites. I started 2 new ones today and once they start coming into them I'll set my snares.

I'd leave my snares there for now and start another bait site. If you are short on snares and the second site has more activity, just move them over there.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:08 PM

I'm one of the guys who hangs a few snares as soon as I put bait. I started a new bait two days ago. I hung three snares in likely looking places. It's a farther drive than I like but I thought I would take a chance. Today I had a big old male when I checked. That's the advantage to hanging a couple right away. I covered my costs the first check. I keep a few dozen snares in my truck at all time and add them to the site as I see fit. I added seven more at that site today.

I wouldn't be pulling or moving snares. If you're short snares buy a few more. It will pay off. I've had snares sit for a month before they catch.

It's frustrating sometimes but just wait them out. They will come.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:14 PM

I also pre-bait but it is what ever works for you. I like the coyotes to tell me where to set with their tracks. Are their magpies and ravens hitting your bait. Did you place a snare wall right around your bait? That doesn't seem to work. A lesson i learned a while ago.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 PM

I hang as many snares as I can and usually hit 4-6 in the first check on a new bait. Then you start hanging them as you see the tracks when the snow flies. You need lots of bait to draw them in. It's the birds that will get them there first and that takes a lot of bait. When I pull up to my bait sites I usually have 20-30 crows taking off kinda thing
Old 12-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I hang as many snares as I can and usually hit 4-6 in the first check on a new bait. Then you start hanging them as you see the tracks when the snow flies. You need lots of bait to draw them in. It's the birds that will get them there first and that takes a lot of bait. When I pull up to my bait sites I usually have 20-30 crows taking off kinda thing

I put 8 snares out as soon as I set the bait due to the time I had. I have a lot of magpies and a few crows, they're pretty much the only thing eating up all the bait, and a weasel. Today is day 5 and I took some more bait in and moved 4 snares farther away on obvious trails. Still nothing. Hopefully something comes. Snows all melted and it's really warm and windy from the chinook we've had the last couple days.