Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Default Marten Trigger Configuration

Hey guys,

Just looking for your thoughts into the type of trigger configuration you are using on your marten sets. Currently, I have the wires bent into a diamond pattern with the trap upside down (dog to the bottom of the box) all on horizontal sets. This season, I have had many marten boxes visited by marten without firing the trap. Tracks to and from the box, around the box, on top of the box and even a paw print or two in the box...but didn't fire the trap. I have seen pictures of bending the wires in a "T" configuration as well. Another interesting idea is the use of trigger pans like are used for mink. Thinking that with a pan there is no wire to slip around and avoid a strike. If they step in the box they have to step on the pan. As well, more attractive to enter the box without wires in the way.

Just looking for everybody's experience and thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 AM

You will get some misses, but looking at your stats, seems like you are doing very well!!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke hunter View Post

interesting idea is the use of trigger pans like are used for mink. Thinking that with a pan there is no wire to slip around and avoid a strike. If they step in the box they have to step on the pan. As well, more attractive to enter the box without wires in the way.

Just looking for everybody's experience and thoughts on this.

Thanks!
I have used pan trigger traps for marten and fisher for many years. They work great when set 4-5 inches in front of the bait in a box. In this situation the animal is stable at the bait, not moving through or jumping over the pan going to the bait. A mink or marten will be standing on the pan with their front feet, and fisher will bump it with their chin, while working the bait. This results in a quick humane dispatch virtually every time. Set the trap about 1" before the spring slot end. If set against the end of the slot the trap will have a tendency to jump out over the animal and possibly get a less than desirable catch.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Tomcat is right about this and has a lot of experience. He helped me point out that on my catches mine were a bit back. It was because I snug mine to the back of the spring slots. I wouldn't have thought much untill he pointed it out. I have to cut some deeper slots and with this system it works great.