Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 AM

Default Trapline for sale..

My father has a trapline north of Little Buffalo Alberta. 18 miles long. No cabin on it. Anyone have any idea what traplines are selling for?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Banned

Location, location , location and fur sales records... take it from there... PM me if you like with a phone # ...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Wear is little buffalo alberta at ?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
Wear is little buffalo alberta at ?
North of Slave Lake, east of Peace River down highway 986.

Driven down that road a few times... backwards, sideways, even halfway in the ditch. Nasty road.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Default Quota

Whats the quota like, would look into it if the quota wasn't crazy. PM once ya get a price
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned

Just have to take a look at the regs to see what the quotas are .. Regs are on line and on AO..
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM

Default trapline sale

pm me with price
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 PM

Default Hmm

Don't they set the quota per trapline here?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

As mentioned b4 the quotas are in the regssss.
PM me if you have any questions that are unanswered, no problem..
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Little Buffalo could cover a pretty large area. There are some areas close to Little Buffalo that are under dispute with the Lubicon Band.

Most of the area is reasonably good trapping country, north towards the Buffalo Head Hills should be better I would think. But I'm not familiar with the area to the south.

In theory you can only sell improvements and equipment. So if you have no cabin, there isn't much to sell.

18 miles long doesn't tell us much. Square miles is the usually point of reference.
Or townships, which amounts to the same thing.

I believe the average single trapline is about 3 townships or around 100 square miles. However, due to the way registered traplines evolved, there is an incredible range of sizes in traplines.
To complicate matters some traplines are in fact two traplines joined into one. Sometimes a new larger line is formed, others simply run two lines as if they were one. Need to know which you are dealing with.

Based on what you have told us so far, and the price of fur these days, I wouldn't think any real trapper would offer more then a grand or two for the trapping rights. After all, that is all he would be getting, from what you have told us.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 AM

Default Price

Have you figured out a price yet? Very interested, would like to see what your old man wants for it.
I checked out the quotas in zone 2 which i assumed your talking about only looks like a quota of approx $2500 at adequate fur prices......plus of course the extras...I could be wrong though. That was also assuming you was in the good WMU

Please get back to me if you could, well get back to all of us would be nice to know!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Default Trapline for sale

If there is no cabin, Is there any equipment for sale ? Keep in mind that if your old man has no cabin, no equipment , then the trapline is worth nothing, as you are not allowed to sell land that is not your.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Cabins are not the only improvements one can sell.
Cutting new trails, cleaning up old trails, boat launches, even cubbies left in place are worth something. Not much, but something.

Really it's up to the trapper to set his price. That price can include labor, there are no rules preventing one from seeking to recoup all costs.
However, one also has to balance recouping costs with what is a reasonable.

For instance. to claim cost for maintaining a trail when all one did was travel it often enough to keep second growth down, would not be reasonable or honest.

There is also nothing, at this time, preventing a trapper from setting a ridicules price based on greed alone. $55,000 for a line with no real improvements. It happens and some have sold for such prices.

Keep in mind that no one looking to trap would pay such a price.
By selling at such a price, one is in fact acting in a way that hurts all trappers.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Banned

A trapline is presently worth what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept....that is the bottom line..
How do you say the quota is pegged at $2500 , when there is no limit to beaver, coyote, wolf, etc...You get out what you put in, so lets be real.
The subject of trapline worth is the same sh** every time. If I want something bad enough, for my own reasons, I will pay, what it takes for me, to get what I want .....That being said...let the buyer beware...
Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Default worth of a trapline

If a trapper has a definite trail system, that is worth something to a new trapper who comes into a strange area. He doesn't have to try and find his way around. Invaluable.
Knowledge of what areas are good for different species. For a new trapper, this can take years. Invaluable.
Equipment can be costly and add up. I have a boat/motor with an extra motor for backup. Also, 2 sleds, 2 quads and loads of trap boxes, traps of various sizes and storage for these. Tobaggans, tub trailer, vehicle and other stuff. A cabin that is built already and stocked. What's a trapline worth? I guess it is in the eye of the purchaser.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:12 PM

Default Sour dough

Yup I said that my friend, 2500 with the current quota+extras(extras are beaver.....etc sorry for the confusion), because I was going off of Ontario Traplines in which you must get your quota or 75% of it to keep your trapline year after year, they set high quotas over there too

So Mr kegger informed me things are a little different over here, no big deal....my mistake

But if you were to look at the current quota and factor in average fur prices $2500 is about what you'd get....and yes that doesn't include all the extras beaver, and such
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyMan7 View Post
Yup I said that my friend, 2500 with the current quota+extras(extras are beaver.....etc sorry for the confusion), because I was going off of Ontario Traplines in which you must get your quota or 75% of it to keep your trapline year after year, they set high quotas over there too

So Mr kegger informed me things are a little different over here, no big deal....my mistake

But if you were to look at the current quota and factor in average fur prices $2500 is about what you'd get....and yes that doesn't include all the extras beaver, and such
Sorry I haven't been on for a few days. Tomorrow I will be getting the line number etc. I myself don't know a lot about it but that it's 18 miles long and 1 mile wide. It was my great uncle's who settled Little Buffalo in the early 1900's. He passed that on to my father when he passed away at age 91 in 1990. As far as I know, it has not been trapped since but my dad keeps up on the fees every year. He is now 73 and lives in the city with me. I don't want the line nor does anyone in my family. Seems pointless to keep something no one is going to use. Thanks for all the info though. Certainly want to be fair with the price and yes, part of it is on disputed Indian land by the Lubicon Lake Band. Don't know if that turns people off or not. Which part I don't know but I will find that out and post it as well. Thanks everyone and I will be going out there next month and see if there are any traps left by my uncle. If so I will see if any of you would like them.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM

I am very intersted to buy a trapline, I have look for a trapline to work for years. If you a price in mind let me know.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Abuse in the system

Let me get this straight.

I don't go forward with my desire for trapping because it is hard to find a trapline these days, let alone one for a reasonable price. This trapline hasn't been trapped in 21 years???

Trapping is a dying industry, why?? I thought there were provisions that made sure this type of thing doesn't happen?

Greg
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM

I should start a new thread for this question but...

Isn't there yearly minimums of harvest needed in order to keep your trapline? Thus preventing people owning a trapline for a recreational property with NO trapping involved?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 PM

In Alberta trapping is a joke! Anybody can own a trapline if the have the bucks to spend. More traplines arent trapped than are because the outfitters and the rich have them. Not many real trappers left anymore. To bad, its a shame. And no you dont have to get a certin number of animals. Just pay your license and your good.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Yeh, Someone should start a new thread and preferably on another forum being as how all of a sudden there are those who don't know f---- all of what they speak. Do some real reading and bone up on anything b4 , as a wise man once said 'it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt"... ...
Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Yeh, Someone should start a new thread and preferably on another forum being as how all of a sudden there are those who don't know f---- all of what they speak. Do some real reading and bone up on anything b4 , as a wise man once said 'it is better to remain silent and thought a fool than speak up and remove all doubt"... ...
X2 on that Sourdough!
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM

Sourdough and northerntrapper, if your comments are directed at me - you do realize that my post was question. Hence the question marks. I've heard of trapline minimum quotas from more then one person, apparently they were wrong.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

Default ATA bobblehead

Steve in reading I am sure SD and NT are referring to lostarrow not you but they can confirm.

I'd like to see the stats on how many lines are actually trapped vs those that are not. I don't agree with lostarrow, I believe more are trapped. Out our way, and knowing the history of most of the line here more trappers are trapping now than 10-20 years ago.

Lostarrow sounds like one of those "the sky is falling" "everyone will lose their line", if you don't do what we say ATA bobbleheads. Or like Gordy Klassen said at the Sundre Trappers Rendezvous, if you disagree with my visions for the trappers of Alberta "then you can kiss my a**.", or at the Sask Rendezvous, if you disagree with his "vision" he'd be more than glad to step out in the parking lot and settle it. A real professional

Last edited by wolfkilr; 02-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

So I guess that makes me an ATA bobblehead. Man, you are so out of touch with what is really happening wolfkilr. Gordy Klassen has done more for trappers and trapping in Alberta than you could ever imagine. You would have already been sold down the road if it wasn't for Gordy having spent thousands of his own dollars driving back and forth to Edmonton to attend countless meetings, including the Trapping in the 21st Century meetings to save your tail. Don't forget, he's a volunteer! If you had any idea of what some of the proposals were for trapping in the 21st Century, you would be ashamed of what you just wrote. You speak of what you don't know. How about, all trapping south of Highway 16 becomes a free-for-all like it is in the US, or even in some of our other Canadian provinces where the RFMA system is dismantled? Does that suit you? You think that wasn't put on the table. Who do you think went to bat to put that back in the closet, and guess what, there are still several in high places that believe this will work. And that was just one of the proposals! Before you go on about bobbleheads, maybe you should put some of your time towards helping the ATA and the rest of us fighting to keep trapping the way it is in Alberta. If you aren't part of the solution wolfkilr, you are part of the problem.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM

Arrow Trapline wanted!

I opened a note here http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83193 - because there's a lot of info to cover.

I'd like to know how much you'd take and the exact local too.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default Update

Rob I agree with some of what you say and some I don't. If you read some of the 1970's Trapper Magazine (over 40 years ago) the same issues were being debated...taking lines away, abolishing the RFMA's, trappers are an endagered species etc.. We will have a booth at the RD Sportsmens Show and I'll bring a few of the old ones along if you want to stop by and have a look. (Sundre) This isn't new.

Gordy Klassen has spent alot of time working with the ATA, there is nobody that should dispute that. However, with the recent update from him I am beginning to wonder if the end result is going to be favorable. I hope so.

Tonight we are having our meeting and our Zone Director Greg McKinnon is to give us an update on what exactly is going on inside and outside the ATA. There are alot of issues that need honest and complete answers.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 AM

Is the trapline sold? How much are u wanting for it?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Default Ata

Anyone that disagrees with the way the ATA is trying to do there job should step up and pitch in. I live in Ontario however am a member of ATA and planning on moving to Alberta in the near future. Also, I spent 10 days with Gordy Klassen and attended the convention at Hinton in July. Can assure you that if you can do a better job than Gordy we need you. Your chance is fast approching as he is not running again so just step up, dig in and get at it. Also Alberta needs minimum quotas to assure the future of the RFMA system. This also stops the trapline assetts being sold for elevated prices for cottage property and hunt camps. If something does not change here the RFMA system will be in the history books and ALL permanate camps will likely be illegal. Think about this because it has happened elsewhere. Also I am looking for a trapline in north western Alberta however am not willing to pay an elevated price for an abondoned line with no trails, no camp, no recent trapping history. As things stand the RFMA system could be discontinued and the money invested would be lost. Once again there should be a minumum quota system. TRAP IT OR LOSE IT!! Get the non trappers out of the system and save the RFMA's. Dan