Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Default First time snaring Rabbits

So... now that I know I can snare rabbits without a trapping licence (thanks Arn?Narn.)... I would like to do it. I just dont know where to start. I have a couple questions, and I didnt want to highjack his thread.

Is there a special cable/system?
Are there any special supplies I need?
Where is the best spot to put the snares?

Thanks in advance.

~J

Last edited by Jimmyjjj; 08-08-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjjj View Post
So... now that I know I can snare rabbits without a trapping licence (thanks Arn?Narn.)... I would like to do it. I just dont know where to start. I have a couple questions, and I didnt want to highjack his thread.

Is there a special cable/system?
Are there any special supplies I need?
Where is the best spot to put the snares?

Thanks in advance.

~J
We have used picture wire in the past, but you can buy brass snare wire cheap enough.
it's harder for a beginner to snare in the early fall, becsause it is not as eveident as to where you have tpo place your snares, but once winter hits, it is a lot easier - never hurts to check out the swamps in the winter!!
keep in touch and I'll take you out.....
Cat
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

I always preferred picture wire...

then someone last year told me only single strand was permitted in AB

Any truth?

I have 5 rolls of picture wire !!!!

We leave our snares all season back home, and close em off on the last day of the season.

Up here, I would leave em all fall, and then all winter (snow paths then) and pull them in March.

Last edited by Arn?Narn.; 08-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Default snaring

Read the regs guys. Its all there ,even wire guage and the size of the noose required.This has been posted and debated for years on here ,Maybe the mods should tack it at the top in the trapping discussions.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We have used picture wire in the past, but you can buy brass snare wire cheap enough.
it's harder for a beginner to snare in the early fall, becsause it is not as eveident as to where you have tpo place your snares, but once winter hits, it is a lot easier - never hurts to check out the swamps in the winter!!
keep in touch and I'll take you out.....Cat
I'd be on that. Have fun guys.

Jimmyjjj,

Search youtube for rabbit snaring vids. There are some really good ones that will show you how to make snares and advice on setting them up with "influence sticks". Placing sticks and bush to guide the rabbit through the snare.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Posted in the other thread as well:

Because I looked it up...

"Snares* for taking fur-bearing animals may only be set by holders of Registered Fur Management Licences or
– by holders of Resident Fur Management Licences for bobcat, coyote, fox, squirrel or wolf (provided they meet the requirements listed in this section) and for beaver (provided the snare loop is completely under water).
by residents for rabbit or hare on lands to which they have right-of-access (provided the snare wire is not larger than 20-gauge and the snare loop is not more than 13 cm (5 in.) in diameter).
* Snare devices include neck snares, power-neck snares and foot snares.
Slide-wire sets must be equipped with a lock. The slide-wires and weight must be properly anchored, and set in water that is deep enough to ensure that the largest animal that may be captured will be totally submerged.
Neck snares must be equipped with a locking device that is designed and set to prevent the snare loop from loosening again after it has tightened on the neck of the fur-bearing animal, except when:
– set to hold, with the intent to kill, beaver under water; or
made of a single strand of wire and are set to capture squirrel, rabbit or hare."
Old 08-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Snaring rabbits is an evryday thing for me when i am in a camp, and I check themn in the evening and in the morning .
In the winter on the trap line i would do it as part of my morning routing, check the rabbits and a few long haired snares and squirrel sets , then back to the cabin for breakfast.
I don't think the single strand wire is mandatory for rabbits, it may be that the wording is a bit amibiguous.
Cat
Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 PM

The brass or copper wire can be purchased at arts and crafts sections. Monel locking wire also works if you know any aircraft guys.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Gone Hunting

I have always used brass wire. it works well enough.

I don't remember ever setting snares before the first snow, on snow, finding where to set is relatively easy.

I'll have to draw a few diagrams and scan them so I can add graphics, word descriptions don't work too well.

It looks like you have the best possible assistance, hands on training with an experienced trapper. It doesn't get better then that. So you won't need diagrams, but for future questions, I need to do it.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Default always heard

Months to hunt or trap (snare)pesky wabbits were any month with the letter "r" so September would be the first month and April the last?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM

What do you guys do with the rabbits? I've eaten "store-bought" rabbit before and it's good, but everything I read keeps talking about various diseases the wild versions carry, makes me nervous to eat. Do you trap and skin them for the fur?

I've thought about shooting them but honestly, I see way more in the city than I ever have in the country.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

If you are going to snare rabbits, You should have a reason to snare them , IE: 1; food,
2 Fur , Good luck on this one if your planning on making money! LOL
3; pest control.
4 feed for animals.pets etc.
5; bait for trapping .
Worried about desease ?, check with a F&W biologist and inform yourself of what to look for I: Water blisters on the body, discoloration of certain organs, emaciated appearence etc may be indication of problems, Some of these may not pose a problem after being well cooked.
bad times to harvest for eating is later winter months, best is early fall and winter. Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan , after that I leave them alone for consumption. To each his own. Myself I eat nothing that has been choked to death, But then I have never been that hungry , so I can,t say i wouldnt !
Old 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM

grew up snaring rabbits back on the island. untill i was a teen and started hunting then with beagles still do now. i sent you a pm jimmy.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:41 PM

I snare a few rabbits every fall. fry a few and bottle the rest! would love to have the oppotunity to hunt them with beagles.. and jimmy if ya wanna try some i have a few from last season!!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:57 PM

I shot afew rabbits a few years back and cut them into little peices, batterd and fried them, we call them popcorn rabbit kinda like KFC. My kids are cronicly addicted to them now and as soon as they turn color I am under strick orders to shoot them and once we have enough snow to trap them, the girls and I run a small line right in the front yard every winter. Fun and educational for the kids and good chewin too.