Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Pot for guns.

WOW! the Illinois government has stolen a page from the criminal playbook.

Trading drugs for guns. So clever!! Can't believe they picked up on this business practice. I can't believe what they will trade next, hookers??? Stolen cars?

Bad Boy! Bad Boy! Watcha gonna do when they come for you? Trade your .22?

"Illinois lawmakers have been working hard to control and eliminate gun ownership in their state. They’ve been at it for decades. However, federal and state courts have been very active in overturning Illinois’ gun laws these past few years, citing their unconstitutional nature. The judges have been very aggressive about it in the last few years. Therefore, Illinois has to keep coming up with new idea to take their citizens’ guns away. Their latest approach? Trade pot for guns. If your doctor gives you a medical marijuana prescription, you don’t get it until you turn over your firearm or sell it.
With a doctor’s note, a $150 annual fee, a background check, and some fingerprinting residents are currently allowed to us marijuana medicinally; recreational use is still illegal there. The state has identified a list of 41 specific conditions that would qualify an individual for medical marijuana use. But it appears that the state is still uneasy with its own laws. Either they see a person high on pot and dying of cancer as a public danger, or they are just being Illinois and using what’s expected to become a popular habit as a means of disarming its population.
Since medical marijuana became legal in Illinois just three weeks ago, one would expect the state to collect data for a bit on the impacts of the legalization. The usual tactics — seeing if card holders are more likely to engage in varies crimes, or things like that. However, on Tuesday, some Illinois state lawmakers decided that an observation period wouldn’t be necessary. Instead, they proposed that pot users should be required to forego their Second Amendment to maintain their newly legalized drug habit.
What most people already know is that pot reduces aggression. It does make people generally less productive, along with other social issues. However, aggression is the only thing that matters here. Have you ever heard of a person getting stoned and then shooting someone? There’s a reason hippies have the reputation of being dead broke with peace symbols plastered all over everything they own.
There is simply no logic behind this proposal.
Now, I’m left with this image of a stoned and unarmed pot user walking the streets of Illinois. I don’t imagine a populous of stoned individuals being too hard to regulate and control. Then again, perhaps that’s their goal.
It should be noted that the pot debate, until now, has been a very non-party based issue. Libertarians are overwhelmingly in favor. Everyone else is pretty split over it, though the liberal end tends to be more in favor. Even so, Denver’s Mayor Michael Hancock and Gov. John Hickenlooper, both Colorado politicians and both democrats, stood in opposition to the recent legalization of recreational marijuana. They both refused to attend acceptance ceremonies in Colorado.
It’s interesting that libertarians tend to be very anti-regulation. Don’t regulate drugs. Don’t regulate guns. It appears that the liberal side of the conversation is trying to live in the best of both worlds. Perhaps Illinois is just so accustomed to having the state regulate their firearms that they would hardly know what to do with themselves if someone is not regulated. If you are going to pick on someone, perhaps pot users aren’t the ones that will fight back.
The final question is, will people be willing to put up with trading pot for guns?"

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM

If someone gave them pot...would they hand out the guns?

LC
Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM

I could care less about the use of pot.

But the most shocking thing is that they can hold back somebodies prescription drug until they hand over their gun? How is that legal/ ethical?

And these must be legal owned and registered guns only? Otherwise how would they know the individual is a firearms owner. So illegaly owned firearms owners are safe.

Where is that article quoted from? Sounds like something might be missing. (or I'm missing something.)
Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM
Banned

I am not a pro drug person, but I don't see why the government would hold issue with a medical marijuana holder also being a gun holder. This is just another infringement on a person's rights, and a sneaky way for the gun grabbers to go about grabbing guns.

This just makes me sick. What is next? Prevent a parent from owning a gun because their child may get access to it? How about preventing women from owning a gun because once in a why she may suffer from PMS. Or how about a woman who just gave birth because she may suffer from Postpartum? Or how about about the elderly who get diagnosed with Parkinson, or dementia? Where does it end?

On our renewal forms for our PAL we have a section where it asks if you have been separated or divorced in the previous 5 yrs, or been laid off or fired. Why are these issues with gun ownership? Are they going to use these as a reason to come and take away your guns?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Gone Hunting

It's gubment.

Try to keep up.

Legalize pot, it's harmless.

If you get a Rx for pot that means you are a pothead and not stable enough to own firearms.

SOOOOOO, we'll trade you Rx for your guns, and you'll be happy and we'll be happy.

And BTW, PMS is not an occassional thing. It is a forever thing that morphs from PMS to mentalpause.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Here's some links

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1530419.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...3833675.column

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...marijuana-laws

Old 01-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Banned

Wow, it is not just those who have a medical marijuana license who get banned from owning guns, even their caregivers do too. That is pretty far reaching policy.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Throwing logic right out the window, as usual. Hope it wont hold up in court.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I am not a pro drug person, but I don't see why the government would hold issue with a medical marijuana holder also being a gun holder. This is just another infringement on a person's rights, and a sneaky way for the gun grabbers to go about grabbing guns.

This just makes me sick. What is next? Prevent a parent from owning a gun because their child may get access to it? How about preventing women from owning a gun because once in a why she may suffer from PMS. Or how about a woman who just gave birth because she may suffer from Postpartum? Or how about about the elderly who get diagnosed with Parkinson, or dementia? Where does it end?

On our renewal forms for our PAL we have a section where it asks if you have been separated or divorced in the previous 5 yrs, or been laid off or fired. Why are these issues with gun ownership? Are they going to use these as a reason to come and take away your guns?
I agree.

The tag line here should be... State of Illinois denies gun owners legal perscription medications.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:12 PM

Or may be pot is not as harmless as many think and government knows?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Compared to other drugs or alcohol? I think that this is just a way for the gun grabbers to grab more guns. And by linking it to pot use, they won't have much opposition, because if you complain, then you basically are admitting to being a drug user.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:55 PM

Well ,may be alcogol causes some funktional changes but drugs make organic pathological demage
As well as flue shots.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Well ,may be alcogol causes some funktional changes but drugs make organic pathological demage
As well as flue shots.
Really?
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
As well as flue shots.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Really?
Really, really.Bit it is your own business what substenses you abuse not mine.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Naw.... its just that some governments are out of step with the times and refusing to accept the evidence that is available because to do so...would mean also accepting responsability for wasting time, money and lives in their war on the happy plant.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
As well as flue shots.

Ever heard of Organic Brain Syndrome?
Or perhaps fetal alcohol syndrome or the DT's?

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa04.htm

Alcohol is far worse for the brain....especially when one does not understand moderation.