Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Default Raw fed dogs - fleas and ticks.

I've been feeding raw now for a quite a number of years, and honestly, haven't seen a flea or a tick on my dogs since. We spend a lot of time outdoors during spring, summer and fall and statistically I should have seen some. Been speaking with a couple of other raw feeders, they say the same, no ticks or fleas. I don't use any treatments at all, commercial or otherwise.

What's your experience? Does your raw fed dog get ticks or fleas?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM

I feed dry food for the most part but sometimes throw my dogs a roast ect.

My dogs have only had fleas once.

Most of the coyotes and fox I shoot that have bad fleas are raw fed though.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I've been feeding raw now for a quite a number of years, and honestly, haven't seen a flea or a tick on my dogs since. We spend a lot of time outdoors during spring, summer and fall and statistically I should have seen some. Been speaking with a couple of other raw feeders, they say the same, no ticks or fleas. I don't use any treatments at all, commercial or otherwise.

What's your experience? Does your raw fed dog get ticks or fleas?

Haven’t had a flea or tick on any of my dogs in 35 years feeding dry kibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Banned

Good points... Skeeters still love him, and me.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Hey, but they still get worms from the gophers and mice they scrounge in the field.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM

I wasn't going to mention it but, truth be told. I was the one who gave my dog fleas. I was skinning a fox and when I came in the house gave the dog a scratch without even thinking about it.

Over the next week my wife caught a few fleas crawling on her.

That was years ago but she still makes me keep all my skinning clothes outside and makes sure I shower as soon as I come in.

Once bitten,twice shy. I guess.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:49 PM

We fed our last bulldog raw and he got ticks a few times. He’s since passed and we have 3 English bullies now. They are all on kibble but this summer will be the test.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Our vet said fleas are not a great concern in Edmonton, and as far as I can tell our lab never had one. Also never had a tick as far as we knew, but she was a couch-hunter rather than a duck-hunter.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:03 PM

been feeding my pup raw for 8 years and the ticks will still get him no fleas tho. ive only seen fleas on gofer holes and coyote and squirrels not on the cats and dogs like in bc.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:20 PM

Take your dog chasing ground squirrels, guarantees ticks. The seem to hang around the holes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Take your dog chasing ground squirrels, guarantees ticks. The seem to hang around the holes.
He loves chasing gophers, squirrels and mice such, tries to dig them out. Not much of a killer dog yet.

Growing up, we had multiple flea infestations in the house due to bringing in stray dogs and cats. Got eaten alive.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:55 PM

2 dogs 10 and 13 years old and both on raw their whole lives. Never seen a tick or flea on either one so far. Not sure if the food is the answer or not and we do spend a lot of time camping and in the bush as well.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:36 AM

Don't currently have a dog, but have had a few over the years,
Never had fleas or ticks.
I just feed them whatever I have, raw meat or dry dog food, I mix it up. We had a border collie who lived on mice when I was a kid, never had fleas either, we just deworm spring and fall.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:37 AM

Default fleas and ticks

Has absolutely zero to do with what you are feeding them, unless whatever you are feeding them is infested!
Wild canines, foxes and coyotes, are notorious for fleas and ticks, but a lot of the rodents they eat (rabbits in particular) are infested. At least as far as the fleas are concerned.
We dont have much for ticks in my area (although they are present), but any areas where they are abundant, they will transfer onto your pet when they are turned loose in the area. An environmental hazard!
My dogs have been on a raw diet their whole lives. Fleas and ticks have never been an issue, and they would typically see 70-80 days in the field every year.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM

my ten year old never had a problem until last summer. With all that hot weather the grass dried out. He would lie in the grass and get little bugs that like dry grass crawling on him and then he would start scratching. He scratched so much the vet had to give him anti itch pills to break the cycle and antibiotics for the infected scratches. Good point about the jack rabbits as there are so many in the city of Calgary now who knows what they are carrying. I know the coyotes in Nose Hill park are carrying a tapeworm that can get into the dogs and some say the tapeworm can also get into people from the dog. It makes me wonder about going to Nose Hill park any more
Old 04-20-2018, 05:20 PM

My big boy has been on raw since he was one (4 years old now). Do the squeeze tube thingy between the shoulder blades once a year as per vet and no vermin yet. He's not a hunter, but no dog swims like he can and he does it plenty summer or winter. Swamps, puddles whatever. 180 lbs of sweetness and power though. Here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snug sweater.jpg (20.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:12 AM

I can't imagine diet making any difference whatsoever to a flea, unless of course, there's medication included that is lethal to them. I would be far more concerned about worms, and other parasites that could accompany a raw food diet if the food isn't carefully sourced.
Our dog lives indoors but still gets dewormed regularly, as even smelling another dogs feces can transmit parasites.