Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Ripped off at a auto repair shop
Got ripped off 105 75.54%
Did not get ripped off 34 24.46%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2017, 05:00 AM

Default Who Ever got ripped off at a auto repair shop.

Got two prices on a fluid leak on my Transmission.
First place could not get me in until a week .

Second place was Pro-TECK Transmission on Yellow head.

Told them a 5 min job to replace an o ring as told at the last estimate .
And needed the fluid and filter changed.
Told them 10 -12 L as what the last place said.
Their price was $280. and could get in now .($20.00 cheeper)

Picked it up ,and some one else was at the counter.
The owner was not in now .

They fixed the leak ..no charge as it only took 5 min.
Charged me 2 hours labour for a 45min job.
And only installed 5 L of Fluid.

Was I mad . Mixing new oil with old After I told them to change it all as this was the first fluid change this truck ever got in 160,000 km.

Let me hear your story who ripped you off

Last edited by -JR-; 06-24-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 AM

I suspect everyone has at least one story...it seems every shop is full of crooks to some extent.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I suspect everyone has at least one story...it seems every shop is full of crooks to some extent.
Many people think its the mechanic.
But its the guy in front that owns the place that give the mechanic the bad name.
Funny thing is , I worked at this same location ,30 years ago as a tranny. guy.
If I had a hoist I would have done it my self.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:44 AM

A very experienced mechanic and vehicle restorer explained to me how much shops mark-up time and especially parts. We are getting very ripped off.

Example. I had a stripped drag-link on my jeep. Needed a new one and alignment. Part was $140. Kal tire wanted $710 plus install. Another mechanics quote was $780 plus install. It's a I hr. job ,plus alignment on a laser. Vehicle repairs are one of the biggest scams going.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Got two prices on a fluid leak on my Transmission.
First place could not get me in until a week .

Second place was Pro-TECK Transmission on Yellow head.

Told them a 5 min job to replace an o ring as told at the last estimate .
And needed the fluid and filter changed.
Told them 10 -12 L as what the last place said.
Their price was $280. and could get in now .($20.00 cheeper)

Picked it up ,and some one else was at the counter.
The owner was not in now .

They fixed the leak ..no charge as it only took 5 min.
Charged me 2 hours labour for a 45min job.
And only installed 5 L of Fluid.

Was I mad . Mixing new oil with old After I told them to change it all as this was the first fluid change this truck ever got in 160,000 km.

It's never right to get "ripped" off. But I have to say most guys just don't clue in. Part markup and labour get expensive in a hurrry but that's life. Let's say I need a new roof on my house. I don't have the first clue on how to do it myself. So guess what,I pay someone to do it. Could I have bought the shingles myself and saved money..yup. Could I have got all my buddies that know what they are doing to come help me..yup. It's not just automotive shops. It's everything. I find guys just love to complain about mechanics more then the rest of tradesmen.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you voted no well you are kidding yourself...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If you voted no well you are kidding yourself...
How so? Almost 30 years of driving and vehicle ownership, my cars have seen a garage twice. Once for a blown motor when the timing belt spit teeth, another for a steering rack. Both under warranty, neither cost me a cent.

Otherwise, I do all the work on my cars.

I know people that take their cars in to a garage, replace the alternator, it's shot. Ok, they replace the alternator, but the problem was elsewhere. Is that a rip off? If you don't know squat about cars, then you have to depend on others to fix it.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:49 AM

I've been lucky. Only time I've had a vehicle of mine in for repairs was for a heater core on a Yukon. Usually do all my own work but after watching a how-to video of how to do it, I decided I'd rather not tear my dash apart in a swearing fit. I believe it cost only $720 for parts and labour to replace at this shop my dad's friend knew. All other shops were wanting upwards of $1200.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 AM

Years ago:
I did all the brakes on my car, new rotors and pad, but could not bleed them by myself. So I took it in to a CANADIAN wide, very well known parts (and other hardware) and repair and TIRE company on the Fort road I'm Edmonton.

Told them to bleed the brakes. They tell me, they will take a look at it.
Come back in an hour and the service manager passes me a quote for around a $1000....to do a complete brake job....tells me that bleeding isn't the issue, but that my brakes are complete worn out and shot.

"Thats funny, cause I just bought all the parts the other day and did it."

Then he gets ignorant and says "Well if we're not doing the brakes, we won't bleed them"

"Take off the hoist, then!!!"

Driving home, my vehicle starts wobbling all over the place.

They did not tighten the lug nuts.....all loose....at least the one that are still there....missing 5 of them.

100% nasty Thief of a service manager!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:10 AM

On a trip out to the parents a few years ago, had the alternator go on my cummins. No biggie, bought one, and a belt since I was in there anyway, and did the quick swap in the driveway. Next weekend I take it into Mr. Lube for an oil change (don't judge, it was cold out and I don't have a shop). Anyway, told them all I wanted was a lube and filter. Don't touch the air box, it's a K&N. So the kid comes up to me about halfway through, and tells me I should really consider having them replace the accessory drive belt, as mines in pretty bad shape. I kind of chuckle, and say really? He proceeds to hold up this ugly, broken up and frayed thing and says yeah, you may not even make it home on this. . .

So I proceed to get out of the truck, which he repeatedly told me was against their policy. I was asking for the manager before I had both feet on the ground. Walked around to the front, looked down, and sure enough, there's my nice new belt, right where it was when I installed it a week ago.

Manager was fairly good about it, considering how I went off on him about illegal practice, ripping off customers etc. the oil change was on the house, and he gave me a bunch of coupons for things like windshield wipers and stuff like that. They got thrown out, and I've never even considered going back to any place like that.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Years ago:

I did all the brakes on my car, new rotors and pad, but could not bleed them by myself. So I took it in to a CANADIAN wide, very well known parts (and other hardware) and repair and TIRE company on the Fort road I'm Edmonton.

Come back in an hour and the service manager passes me a quote for around a $1000....to do a complete brake job....tells me that bleeding isn't the issue, but that my brakes are complete worn out and shot.

Then he gets ignorant and says "Well if we're not doing the brakes, we won't bleed them"

They did not tighten the lug nuts.....all loose....at least the one that are still there....missing 5 of them.

Fountain tire did that to my wife. I replaced the front end on her 2004 dodge half ton. All new ball joints and tie rod end and cv shafts. Took it there for an alignment. They said no problem pick it up in a few hours. She goes to pick it up and they said they can't do it. The front end is shot thehad a list of parts the length of my arm it needed. Most of them were the parts I put in. The funny thing is they said it need new rack pinion and a new steering box. It don't even have a steering box because it has rack n pinion. I was going to call them but I think she made they guy almost cry lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM

When I bought my truck, I took it to an auto shop amd got it inspected. It was in great shape so I bought it. Took it to a Kal-Tire as I wanted to put better tires on it. I go to pick it up and the guy starts telling me the whole front end is messed up and it'll be at least $1,500 to fix. Plus it needed to be done ASAP to avoid more damage. I drove it back to the first auto ahop and explained the situation politely, and told him I wasnt claiming he screwed up... but someone has and I need to figure out who. He hoisted it up, and 1 by 1 together we went through each thing that "needed to be replaced". Everything was fine. After he told me to take it to a 3rd auto shop, and see what they say. Just to be safe. 3rd shop said the same as the first. Everything is fine. Needless to say, Kal-Tire was trying to scam me and I'll never go there again
Old 06-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The place: ducharme bonnyville

The year: 1990

The problem: battery not charging

Duration to find/fix problem: 12days

Problem: Voltage regulator($33),

Cost: $520

(The "Alt" Light on dash still remained on after new regulator installed..
their spoken remedy, "smash that bulb with screwdriver")

Hate hate hate repair shops..
(Yes i've more stories as well.)
If possible, fix your own crap folks!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

I would not call it ripped off,i identified what wasn't done and had an ongoing conversation for about 4 months ,i did eventually receive a credit but not an apology for the misrepresentation.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:53 AM

I'm reading lots of stories about people almost getting ripped off, very few about people actually getting ripped off.

Not sure whats so difficult, get a quote, get the work done, pay the invoice that reflects the quote.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up This -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm reading lots of stories about people almost getting ripped off, very few about people actually getting ripped off.

Not sure whats so difficult, get a quote, get the work done, pay the invoice that reflects the quote.
Exactly!

And not all shops are bad. Good, honest shops do exist.

It's up to the vehicle owner to do their homework, and find a good shop.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Years ago:

if your just doing pads and rotor...you dont need to bleed your brakes...ONLY if you undo the bleednut from the caliper....tip for next time lol
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Banned

i had the gmc dealership in west edmonton try and kick me out of their service department after denying their mechanics damaged my vehicle during a service appointment.

Almost turned into a full out brawl as they kept denying everything. They did end up fixing everything but did everything they could not to.

On the more positive side there was an auto body shop in west edmonton that i took a vehicle to for a repair after a minor accident in winter. They kept the costs below 2000 on purpose yet when i went to other shops to double check quotes i was told it would cost $3-5k.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 PM

On the other side ... I can't say enough good things about
Alberta European Motor Works in Red Deer
Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Kia Cranbrook recently did the brakes on my girlfriends car.
They double charged her for the air filter that they replaced - which I noticed when I looked at the bill when she came home. She called and complained, and was told that her next oil change would be free.

Two months and 5000km later, she goes in for her free oil change and shes told that her front right wheel bearing will need changing in the near future, and that her air filter is dirty AND that her brake fluid is excessively dirty.

After going through the recent bill and the last one. She was charged for a higher level of service than what was performed last time, and she was charged for a brake fluid change when they did her brakes. I had a look at the brake fluid and it was way dirtier than it possibly could have gotten in two months - unless the cap was off the entire time - obviously it wasn't.

She complained and ripped a strip off them until they refunded the $ amount to change the brake fluid, the double charged filter and the difference in cost between a "Service 2" and "Service 3".

Needless to say, we'll be back to finding a new place for her car service to be done!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM

If anyone is about to get a transmission
fluid change/flush by a shop, go underneath vech and make little booby traps/ marks on a few pan bolts...got charged $212 bucks when the shop donkey's said "all good to go, new filter & oil in there now".
Then get home, crawl under truck and same dirty pan & marks on bolts all lined up the same before dropping it off..idiots azz'z sucked oil out through fill tub and left old filter in..i almost puked at this sickening NDP like carbon tax like scam.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Default I think I know where it comes from

Several years ago I sent my Dodge diesel to SAIT for a front end inspection and any needed repairs. I was selling the truck and didn't want any surprises during the sale. The truck gave no indication of front end problems although this is a known weak spot on these trucks. Immediately prior to dropping it off I rotated the tires and did a brake inspection, about half gone both front and rear, rotors and drums were unmarked.

SAIT has it for about 3 weeks (I knew the timing when I dropped it off, I wasn't driving it anyways). One day I get a call, truck is done, front end was all OK, no required repairs. The front brakes were shot though, including the rotors; they charged parts only and the bill came to about $400. When I asked to see the old parts they told me they recycle them immediately, they have no storage for used parts.

They are definitely training mechanics, or at least auto shop owners

Even if I owned a FORD I wouldn't go back there.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:14 PM

in most cases it is the service manager not the mechanic.but there are some crooked shops out there that paint everybody with the same brush.
we did an out of province inspection and couldn't pass because one front strut was blown right out.Did a quote for 2 new struts as the should be replaced in pairs. customer said he paid for the extended warranty and would get it done at the stealership. when he came back so we could see work was done and pass the out of province inspection.low and behold it wasn't covered under the extended warranty (biggest scam out there) he said they told him wasn't covered and would match our quote.Looking over the work i noticed only one strut replaced and the non blown one removed and paint lol
on there invoice he was only charged for one strut but it stated that struts were to be replaced in pairs.I told him to go back and demand the other new strut. as stated on there invoice. on a good note they did match our quote and it passed out of province.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Took my 69 Buick GS in for a heater core replacement in late December 1978 to Cambodian Tire in Winnipeg.

Pay and get the vehicle back and inspect for leaks-All looks good.

Wake up the next morning and it is tough to start and I start driving to work and it overheats.

Rad is frozen solid-motor is blown and upon investigation I determined that there was no coolant in the system-After draining and replacing the heater core they refilled with water only.

Likely because I was a kid, but they stated that it was my fault because I not specify that coolant was to be used when refilling the cooling system.

Still frosts my biscuits 40 years later
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM

I laugh when I here these stories. They all have one thing in common non of these cases had ever gained a Raipur with the people your trusting one of your most valuable posesion with. You are going for mac Donald's drive thru service and expecting McDonald hotel service. We all eat at McDonald's but never have anything good to say about. Find a trustworthy shop get to know them they will get to know your vehicle and you will be happy. Most of these places you talk about don't care if they see you again. Thiefs only rob your house once. Then they just say who's next. You might save a dollar on your oil change running here and there but in the long run that will cost you
Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
I laugh when I here these stories. They all have one thing in common...Most of these places you talk about don't care
Ok, go on & laugh..
but then do tell, where one is to
take a broken down car to.. ?..seems i am not doing my homework on WHERE..just keep getting loonied'd & twoonie'd where ever i end up..
Old 06-24-2017, 02:46 PM

If you keep going here and there what do you expect. Hit and Miss Automotive. Both on their part and yours. Do your home work ask around to your friends before you need one that way your ready when you do. Go in and talk with the recommended shop and see if they will at least give you the time of day. That way when you need them you know where you can go. Instead of throwing dart at map and crossing your fingers
Old 06-24-2017, 05:18 PM

This thread reminds of every time my wife goes to a drive through oil change ...... I think she gets a cabin air filter, transmission flush and new wiper blades every second time she goes through one of those places.

At the end of the day the dealership or a garage where you need to leave your vehicle and shuttle back and forth are just such as waste of time, and you are still not guaranteed they won't tack on something you don't need.

I usually ask them to "show me" any surprise issues before authorising extra work - she's less inclined to do so.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This thread reminds of every time my wife goes to a drive through oil change ...... I think she gets a cabin air filter, transmission flush and new wiper blades every second time she goes through one of those places.

At the end of the day the dealership or a garage where you need to leave your vehicle and shuttle back and forth are just such as waste of time, and you are still not guaranteed they won't tack on something you don't need.

I usually ask them to "show me" any surprise issues before authorising extra work - she's less inclined to do so.
I'm generally to lazy to change the oil in my wife's car. After getting hosed for air filters more than once I went down to the dealership and made them put a note in their system that no additional work will be authorized or paid for. Only one free filter so far.

They love to change cabin air filters every time there's a leaf stuck to it.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Banned

YEP..I totally agree with this thread !! Every automotive shop should be shut down and burned to the ground because everyone of them f***'s joe blow public including their mother and grandmother..Just go here and report an automotive poacher http://www.amvic.org/complaints/comp...laint-process/ Public service announcement