Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 AM
Banned

Default Obama's Trade Deal Will Bankrupt Canada's Farming Industry "Overnight", Expert Says

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-1...ht-expert-says

Overnight if we were to eliminate tariffs on imports, we would likely see the dairy sector in Canada, and perhaps the poultry and egg sectors, collapse overnight."

TTP NEEDES TO BE SCRAPED ASAP...
Old 11-10-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTracker View Post

Overnight if we were to eliminate tariffs on imports, we would likely see the dairy sector in Canada, and perhaps the poultry and egg sectors, collapse overnight."

That's certainly not true, fear mongering a little.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 AM

What the heck is this ttp everyone's talking about ?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Don't you think its kind of insulting to say that dairy farmers are too useless to stay in business without government help?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
What the heck is this ttp everyone's talking about ?
TPP Trans Pacific Partnership.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Don't you think its kind of insulting to say that dairy farmers are too useless to stay in business without government help?
The government already announced they would make up any loss to the farmers if prices are driven down.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27171764/

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
That's certainly not true, fear mongering a little.
You got facts to back your opinion, or is it just your opinion?
With the way things have been going lately, we all need to be a little fearfull dont ya think!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpartialObserver View Post
The government already announced they would make up any loss to the farmers if prices are driven down.
Exactly. Billions $$$ to dairy farmers, for compensation.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
And where are these farms mostly located? Quebec. That right, more govt (OUR) money to Quebec. Funny how that happened.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
And where are these farms mostly located? Quebec. That right, more govt (OUR) money to Quebec. Funny how that happened.
To be fair, it was the Harper government that made that announcement.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
To be fair, it was the Harper government that made that announcement.
Oh, I know. all sides are guilty of bribing the froggish. More pointing out how east screws west.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:56 AM

Some eastern farmers will have their captive market SLIGHTLY reduced. Western farmers have long been more market minded and capable of exporting, witness their campaign to get rid of the wheat board. Western producers see new markets, eastern producers fear their security blanket is gone. The farmers I know around here support the TPP.

Only the federal NDP is against it. tells you something.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Some eastern farmers will have their captive market SLIGHTLY reduced. Western farmers have long been more market minded and capable of exporting, witness their campaign to get rid of the wheat board. Western producers see new markets, eastern producers fear their security blanket is gone. The farmers I know around here support the TPP.

Only the federal NDP is against it. tells you something.
X2
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Mr. Durden (author of your link) certainly has included some pretty graphs and scatter plots to supposedly back up his claim that the Canadian Ag sector is doomed. However, it doesn't matter how many graphics you include if you cherry pick your numbers. Using a 14 year time period (from 2000-2014) that includes the Great Recession of 2008 to show apparent trends is laughable! Not only that, he has completely or conveniently sidestepped the Infant Industry Tariff Program that the dairy farmers benefited from all these years. The very nature of these infant industry programs is to have steadily decreasing tariffs up to a point that they are removed. These are designed to help the domestic industry get off the ground and operating at a level that they can compete with foreign producers in time. The tariffs that are being removed were something that should have been done a long long long time ago.

The TPP will open up access to previously protected foreign markets for all agricultural produce. The TPP most certainly does NOT need to be scrapped. At all.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I have two cousins that sold their dairy between Armstrong and Vernon in August, 350 acres of land, that grew corn like 10 ft. tall, with first water rights on Otter Creek, two upright concrete stave silos, three pit silos and a huge hay barn and two shops. Each lived in a house worth at least $450K, with swimming pools for their kids and pets. They milked 140 cows, and they & their neighbour dairymen wore OILFIELD giveaway hats with tightly curled beaks. Reason why?-so they could get their heads all the way into the mailbox to find the subsidy cheque that they got bi-weekly from the feds!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:

You call a guy that uses the name of a character from fight club an expert, this is a new level of stupidity even for you.

Once again you failed.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Banned

Default Here,here ....

Pf. X2
Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
You call a guy that uses the name of a character from fight club an expert, this is a new level of stupidity even for you.

Once again you failed.
Failed at? Never said I agreed or disagreed with the article. My exact words are TTP NEEDS TO BE SCRAPED ASAP..You a stalker?
Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Failed at? Never said I agreed or disagreed with the article. My exact words are TTP NEEDS TO BE SCRAPED ASAP..You a stalker?
Did you read your other post in this thread or are your multiple accounts becoming hard to manage...nevermind.

For some time you have been posting absolute nonsense from questionable sources that have no credibility and you are called out by multiple members, you then resort to talking about conspiracies, black ops, Cia etc, and then attack people telling them they drank cool aid.

Every time you continue to do this I will reply accordingly.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Banned

Default The farmers whining the most over TPP are QC's dairy industry ...

As a Canadian I'm sick and tired of paying 3 - 4 times more for milk, cheese and other dairy products to subsidize QC.

Open 'er up to competition and let food prices fall on dairy products for Canadians !
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
As a Canadian I'm sick and tired of paying 3 - 4 times more for milk, cheese and other dairy products to subsidize QC.

Open 'er up to competition and let food prices fall on dairy products for Canadians !
You expect food prices to fall?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Banned

Default yes - if we can get Saputo cartel RE QC dairy products ...

opened up to competition with restrictions and tariffs reduced on the import of US dairy products - prices will fall.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Did you read your other post in this thread or are your multiple accounts becoming hard to manage...nevermind.

For some time you have been posting absolute nonsense from questionable sources that have no credibility and you are called out by multiple members, you then resort to talking about conspiracies, black ops, Cia etc, and then attack people telling them they drank cool aid.

why don't you explain to all of us what exactly is a milk quota and how it works here in Alberta ! Mr PF
Old 11-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

You will get your dairy cheaper at the grocery store but your taxes will rise to pay for the government payouts to the producers to make up for the shortfall.

It's a shell game.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Banned

Default oh - I agree ...

Quote:
You will get your dairy cheaper at the grocery store but your taxes will rise to pay for the government payouts to the producers to make up for the shortfall.

It's a shell game.
Justin will be all to happy to "make up" for the shortfall in revenue to QC due to competition in their "protected" dairy industry.

and he'll use our tax dollars to do it !

no doubt - they'll come out of this ahead in the game.

meanwhile western Canadian grain producers, find rail shipping rates to market on the rise year after year as we compete against the lucrative business of shipping oil. Where's the help from Ottawa for that ?

unbelievable, can't get any pipelines built in this 'effn country, so they end up screwing western Canadian grain producers once a'gin !

We need to do start doing more milling here on the prairies and stop importing our cereal products from eastern Canada ...

Last edited by TBD; 11-10-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

You come with no facts to counter my supposed nonsense posts. Do you have any clue what the TTP stands for or what it contains in the 8000 plus pages? If your so dam smart, where is facts to counter mine? your nothing but a keyboard warrior without a cause. You would happen to work the Government would ya ?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Justin will be all to happy to "make up" for the shortfall in revenue to QC due to competition in their "protected" dairy industry.

and he'll use our tax dollars to do it !

no doubt - they'll come out of this ahead in the game.

meanwhile western Canadian grain producers, find rail shipping rates to market on the rise year after year as we compete against the lucrative business of shipping oil. Where's the help from Ottawa for that ?

unbelievable, can't get any pipelines built in this 'effn country, so they end up screwing western Canadian grain producers once a'gin !

We need to do more milling here on the prairies ...
As I stated before, it was Harper who announced the government would make up the shortfall.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
You come with no facts to counter my supposed nonsense posts. Do you have any clue what the TTP stands for or what it contains in the 8000 plus pages? If your so dam smart, where is facts to counter mine? your nothing but a keyboard warrior without a cause. You would happen to work the Government would ya ?
If you want to deal in facts.

FACT: it is TPP
Old 11-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default that was offered by Harper in the middle of the election campaign ...

Quote:
As I stated before, it was Harper who announced the government would make up the shortfall.
what's he supposed to say when mulchairs all 'rousing the QC dairy industry about TPP trade b/w Canada and the US on dairy products.

Of course they don't want to compete ! ... and if the playing field is levelled on behalf of the tax payer the BILL's going to be HUGE, since we've been getting GOUGED on dairy in this country for the last twenty years !