Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2015, 06:47 AM

My 2013 ecoboost is great. average about 9 - 10L / 100k hiway. Drove to Utikama from edmonton last year in that freezing rain storm. About 100k in 4X4at 50k/hr through the ice storm when all the semis were parked, went on at mile 88, drove on the lake down past mile 80 and completely around the island. Filled up in st.albert with 1/4 tank of gas left. Cost was $80.00 Tatal was about 150 km in 4X4 and the rest was hiway. Great gas milage at lots of power for pulling.

My son has the 2014 5.0L V8 and gets the same milage as me. The 5L has a differant torque curve and I think it would pull a trailer better than my ecoboost. He did blow a engine at 3000 K but the second engine is doing great.
I think someone forgot to tighten some bolts at the factory on the first one and thats why it droped a piston into the oil pan.

I would get another F150 in a heart beat. Just not sure which one. Maybe the 5L when they put twin turbos on it. WOW ! That would be quick.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 AM

I would go with the dodge myself. Me and my dad have had 3 of them between the 2 of us and haven't had much in the way of problems. My brother has owned about 6 Ford trucks, his newest being a 2005 f150 with the 5.4 that truck had a different problem arise every day he drove it. Sure, I will admit that Ford has a real nice interior but they also pack their trucks so full of electronics and little features that are bound to stop working some day. Dodges are way more simple, easy to work on trucks and the reliability is there. Do you want to buy a truck from a company that put out very poor designed and faulty engines for years in their trucks? (5.4 gas and 6.0 diesel)
Old 11-13-2015, 07:43 AM

I don't choose a vehicle based on looks or gimmicks. My priority is a vehicle that just keeps on running reliably with no issues. My 2007 Tundra has had the tires/oil/filters/wiper blades replaced, but other than that, it has never required repairs.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM

Hey,
I read all above to try make my choice.
I am on a budged like <5k and like to buy some 4x4 car very suitable for hunting.According market price it should be something from 2000th. I am pretty handy mechanic and can do lots of work by myself.
In general all discussion about newest Ford F150 and Dodge 1500.
But what your advice regarding old one in terms ability to repair and reliability on hunting/fishing trip?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I don't choose a vehicle based on looks or gimmicks. My priority is a vehicle that just keeps on running reliably with no issues. My 2007 Tundra has had the tires/oil/filters/wiper blades replaced, but other than that, it has never required repairs.
I felt the same way with my 2007 until the air injection pumps went this spring. Waited four months for parts. They told me hundreds were on back order in Canada. After after two months of waiting, Toyota Canada paid $40 a day for a rental. I will not forgive them for the 4 months but it was covered by warranty on an 8 year old truck.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 AM

I just went thru this truck debate for a year and finally pulled the trigger on a new Ram Sport. Im not brand loyal, mighty buck drove my decision in trying to get the biggest bang for my buck. I have always owned import trucks, no domestic so this is new to me. Guess I have 100k of warranty to make a decision. but luv the Ram interiors personally, luv the look of the sport on 20" rims, luv the ride, more gadgets than I need, lots of space, rubber that came with it sucked so will keep for summer tires. highway avg 13L/100 and city 16/100. hoping it improves once broken in but with a hemi /with 3.92 and 8 speed transmission it is what it is, you dont buy a truck for mileage.

I think good regular maintenance on all vehicles does wonders for longevity.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 AM

There is a reason why the large majority of contract field operators that I know run chev/gmc when there truck is literally put through the wringer every single day.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM

I just bought a new F150 with the v8 5.0. It was between the silverado and f150 for me but in the end the only difference was the f150 had the upgraded interior with all the bells and whistles and the silverado didn't for the same price (employee pricing at ford)

The guy at ford here was really pushing the 2.7 v6 and telling me it would do the same job. I took it out for a test drive and it felt like a big car, really quick and handled well. Anyway I was buying a truck and knew I might end up hauling in the future and bought the v8.

I like it more then all the big Dodge's I drive at work.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
My 2013 ecoboost is great. average about 9 - 10L / 100k hiway. Drove to Utikama from edmonton last year in that freezing rain storm. About 100k in 4X4at 50k/hr through the ice storm when all the semis were parked, went on at mile 88, drove on the lake down past mile 80 and completely around the island. Filled up in st.albert with 1/4 tank of gas left. Cost was $80.00 Tatal was about 150 km in 4X4 and the rest was hiway. Great gas milage at lots of power for pulling.

My son has the 2014 5.0L V8 and gets the same milage as me. The 5L has a differant torque curve and I think it would pull a trailer better than my ecoboost. He did blow a engine at 3000 K but the second engine is doing great.
I think someone forgot to tighten some bolts at the factory on the first one and thats why it droped a piston into the oil pan.

I would get another F150 in a heart beat. Just not sure which one. Maybe the 5L when they put twin turbos on it. WOW ! That would be quick.
How many km you have on your ecoboost?
Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGLADNEY View Post
How many km you have on your ecoboost?
22,000 Km and loveing it. No problems at all.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:03 PM

Do yourself a favour and buy a Ford
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM

Just upgraded from a 2012 ecoboost to a 2015 Ecoboost Lariat. Love it. Loved towing with the old one, haven't pulled with the new one yet. Not really brand loyal but do like the F150. Only have 2500km on the new one but liking it so far.

Only had 75000km on the '12 but had absolutely no problems until about 70 000km they had to replace the spark plugs on warranty. That is why I bought another.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:09 PM
Gone Fishing

I also just bought a F150 Ecoboost Lariat. I have not yet towed either, but look forward to it come camping season. The thing that sold me was the tow package and the lighter truck ( all aluminum body ) that I can use as a daily commuter.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
We got a Ram 1500 with the ecodiesel in April, best mileage was 8.5 l/100 going from Calgary to Armstrong last summer. Averages around 9.5 most of the time. We got the air suspension and it rides like a dream. We also got the ram boxes and I wouldn't hesitate putting my rifles in them, they don't leak any dust at all. Someone told me they hold 132 cans of beer. I also used it to pull my boat home last spring from Bashaw and it did 16.5 l/100 on that trip, 5000 lb 21.5 foot wake boat.
My friends brand new Dodge1500 with the air suspension kept freezing up last winter. I thought everyone gave up on passenger vehicle air suspensions years ago. The companies that made retrofit kits sure made a killing though
Old 11-13-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
you could try i guess but i drive a cummins so your eco boost would not fair too well in a pull contest with me
Obviously never been through the whole killer dowel pin scenario! Turned me off cummins forever.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:28 PM

Our fleet of 2014/2015 fords have started having issues with the heads, six so far. I'm not familiar with the motor but pretty sure it's not the eco boost. The best part is the dealer found a clause in the warranty about excessive idling equals abuse. They are field operator trucks; they idle, all day long like they've been doing since oil was found in the West. It's been said already, whatever feels right and fits your trim level and budget. The history of failed certain gas and diesel engines worries me with Fords.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Don't look at the Japanese trucks. My 2012 Titan with 192,000/km's might of made a squeak a couple weeks back while I was going down a gravel road. Plus the dealer told me it's time for some new plugs

Dodger.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post

I pretty well promise you, your eco boost will darn near embarress your sons 5.0 in the towing department.

The ECO makes more torque and its curve is waaaay wider. Makes peak torque at 1900 rpm vs the 5.0 needs to be reved way out to make less.

That ecoboost is the next best thing to towing witha diesel, as it tows just like a diesel.

BUT if you tow with it. say good bye to your fuel mileage. it will DRINK fuel at an alarming rate. But will snort up any hill you can find like no bodies business. Its an impressive engine.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Owned my own auto repair business for 20 years, without Dodge trucks I would have starved to death, my kids would have been without shoes,, lmao

Without General Motors/Chev trucks I wouldn't have had the money to hunt and fish on weekends , lol

Ford F Series trucks did not make the shop a constant reliable income compared to the other Big 2,,

So buy a DODGE,

SUPPORT A COUPLE OF MECHANICS AND SEND THIER KIDS TO COLLEDGE !
Agreed 100%. Was a GM guy for years and still like em but for a new truck I'd buy Ford.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:14 AM

Almost forgot, our fleet mangers had a serious discussion about not buying any more Fords due to the aluminum body panels. It's not that they don't work, it's the fact that there won't be many qualified body shops to work on them for a while. You may be OK in major centres but for the rest of us we're screwed if we get in an accident. I had a salesman tell me they just unbolt the damaged part and bolt a new one on. Really, that much cost for a dented cab corner from a fith wheel oops as an example?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
I pretty well promise you, your eco boost will darn near embarress your sons 5.0 in the towing department.

The ECO makes more torque and its curve is waaaay wider. Makes peak torque at 1900 rpm vs the 5.0 needs to be reved way out to make less.

That ecoboost is the next best thing to towing witha diesel, as it tows just like a diesel.

BUT if you tow with it. say good bye to your fuel mileage. it will DRINK fuel at an alarming rate. But will snort up any hill you can find like no bodies business. Its an impressive engine.
When I towed a buddies 18 ft inboard bayliner to Rock island, I got 14 L / 100
Not too bad I think. Fairly heavy boat. Hardly new it was there. With the Ecoboost.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
The EcoBoast pee six is a lemon, the F150 is the best truck on the market dollar for dollar as long as it does not have an EcoBoast excuse for a motor
That's funny......mine had 150k kms on it without any issues....except having to change plugs early.
Loved the motor...and would have bought another except Ford did'nt do any performance upgrades to it.
Multiple people I know love the Ecoboost.....
MPG is average ....thats only complaint I have.
More relaxing pulling with the Ecoboost than even my Max tow 6.2L 8 speed Chevy.
My Gfs Jeep is a piece of ****....
Guys 15 Ram is a piece of ****....
I'd go with a Ford any day over the Ram....but I went for most powerful half ton and bought the Chevy 6.2L
Old 11-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
My neighbors are ford guys and one just sold off his fleet of 150's at auction because of a design flaw in the cam phasers i think he said. Ford knows of it and it is current in the pre eco boost trucks yet they won't honour fixing their design flaw(s) ... I drive a RAm and it does it all on and off roads read hemi here. Some young ranchers i know are buying ford only because they are the cheapest $$$.... .02
They just Fixed mine
Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Im torn. I love the engine in the RAM and I am in love with the rambox addition (not worried about lost box space), however I am absolutely in love with the body style and interior on an F150. What would you choose and why?
Once you've had a Rambox and heated steering wheel, you'll never go back.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Car for hunting/fishing

I am really sorry, that I interrupted this discussion.
But still like to get your opinion about acceptable 4x4 car for hunting /fishing.

just for my opinion F150 or RAM looks a little bit too big.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysi View Post
But still like to get your opinion about acceptable 4x4 car for hunting /fishing.

For hunting you are far better off with a truck. Fitting a moose or an elk in a car would not be easy, and it could be messy.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysi View Post

What are you hunting for?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
Almost forgot, our fleet mangers had a serious discussion about not buying any more Fords due to the aluminum body panels. It's not that they don't work, it's the fact that there won't be many qualified body shops to work on them for a while. You may be OK in major centres but for the rest of us we're screwed if we get in an accident. I had a salesman tell me they just unbolt the damaged part and bolt a new one on. Really, that much cost for a dented cab corner from a fith wheel oops as an example?
There are 100+ vehicle currently using aluminum body panels in one form or another. Pretty sure most medium to large shops know how to fix aluminum by now....
Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
What are you hunting for?
Mostly in 300 th WMU.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 PM

I bought my wife a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4 about 3 months ago. It has the larger cab and a 5.5' box.

My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab dually. Cummins diesel obviously.

My dad bought a 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost 4x4 about 6 months ago.

Every one of us likes our trucks for different reasons.

I like mine because it will do ANYTHING I ask of it. Cons are negligible fuel economy, a rough ride and its comparable to parking a grain truck.

My dads ford is a good all round pickup - tows his 25' 5th wheel good in the summer, gets decent fuel economy on the highway (12-14 l/100km), handles "more like a truck" compared to the ram, however is probably built a bit heavier than the ram. Questionable points to ME are longevity of the engine over time (I've known 2 family members that have had their ecoboost "make oil", aka head gasket problems. PM for more details). At the end of the day it is a stressed 3.5L V6 engine vs a NA 5.7L V8. I say V8 is always more reliable over time - how long are you planning on keeping the vehicle ??

My wifes Ram 1500 rides great, has good fuel economy on the highway (10-12 l/100km, Hemi, 8 speed auto, 3.21 gears (wish they were 3.92's)). It pulls our 19' boat fine on the weekends (however I know it wouldn't handle say my dads 25' 5th wheel the same). Great everyday driver with the occasional "pickup use".

Decide what you need your for, how much you need it for that particular reason, go for it and don't look back.

Enjoy!