Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-28-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Historic Agreement

https://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?x...C2E17A849DAE87
Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

What area is this? Can someone provide a reference point on the map below?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:53 PM

Found this on treaty commissioner’s website
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 144C31E3-F0E4-48E6-9457-98F6313E8F21.jpg (16.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What area is this? Can someone provide a reference point on the map below?

The lake bottom left is Lesser slave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
The lake bottom left is Lesser slave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that is but a small portion of treaty 8
Old 04-28-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

WRT the map that I posted above......

Posted by Elder Ronald Beaver on another site, “FYI - As appointed representative for Bigstone Cree nation Treaty traplines in Treaty 8 territory here is a map, the red is the boundary of all traplines we will be managing.”

Last edited by HunterDave; 04-28-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:05 PM

That almost covers all of the green zone rfma's north of highway 16, definitely not a small area.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:53 PM

These things can get complicated.

I talked to a trapper in Ontario a couple of years back who told me he wanted to purchase a line from another trapper. They had a deal and when they went to the Ministry were told that a native had made a claim on the line. This prevented the Ministry from transferring the line. They said if it was to be transferred it would be to the native.

Nobody was aware of this situation except the Ministry. It prevented the sale of the line.

That's all I know about the situation but if the facts are as presented they are troubling.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:02 PM

Anymore clarity on this? “If a line becomes vacant” is transferring a line considered becoming vacant?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Anymore clarity on this? “If a line becomes vacant” is transferring a line considered becoming vacant?
“The memorandum ensures that the association has first right of refusal should an association member’s trapline become vacant. Additionally, Alberta will notify the association when non-member traplines become vacant within the territory of Treaty 8.”

First sentence sounds to me like the association can refuse the (transfer) sale of a Native Trapline to a non-Native.

Second sentence sounds like AEP will advise the association of all non-native (transfers) sales. Then what?

Is this the first that Alberta Trappers are hearing about this?
Old 04-28-2018, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods_walker View Post
That almost covers all of the green zone rfma's north of highway 16, definitely not a small area.
I think that the map that I posted is just the Bigstone Cree Nation's area to manage. Here's the entire Treaty 8 territory that'll have similar areas of responsibility managed by other Nations.....in Alberta anyway (pretty sure on that):

Old 04-29-2018, 10:37 AM

Default treaty 8

Wow, sounds like First Nations are now getting good part of Canada back, who would have thought!!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Banned

Well We will see wont we?Could be a smashing success like Wetaskiwin truck stop and the Sturgeon lake lumber endeavor! I cant wait to see the wildlife flourish again! But again perhaps there is a greater purpose ?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM

I just read my Saturday paper this morning.
The way I read it is the Treaty 8 Assn. has first opportunity to purchase any line in that territory, makes no difference who the previous senior was.
The NDP are continuing their tradition of disappointing large segments of the population, farmers, Christians, ohv enthusiasts, small business owners, anglers, hunters, trappers, anyone that heats or ACs their home, any one that once considered investing here.................the list goes on.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 AM

Guys, this looks real serious for trappers, appears All RFMA's north of the Athabasca River will now be offered to non Canadians first, rest of us can go to back of the line.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:59 AM

This could be real bad. Unless I'm reading it wrong or not understanding it. We will lose our lines over time.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

TRAPPING

With a focus on Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and Gathering, we held a few sessions with the Trappers to discuss the impacts on our Treaty right to trapping. We met with the interim board of the Treaty 8 Trappers Association.

At the Treaty 8 Elders Advisory Council meeting held in December 2013, they met with provincial Minister Robin Campbell to mitigate some impacts. The Elders passed a resolution regarding Environmental Monitoring and that an effort is to commence immediately for a joint monitoring strategy to be developed so that Treaty 8 land users be part of the process. The Minister committed to fund a Treaty 8 Trappers Conference, which was held in Wabasca (Bigstone Cree Nation) on March 20-21, 2014.

At the Treaty 8 Trappers Conference held in Wabasca the Trappers passed a resolution to re-affirm the establishment of a Treaty 8 Trappers Association.

http://treaty8.ca/wp-content/uploads...12/2013-14.pdf
Old 04-30-2018, 01:02 PM

Kudos to the Treaty 8 Assn. for scoring that kind of cash $275,000.00. I wonder how much that is per member?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM

Just a couple seasons ago I had a conversation with Fish & Wildlife (specifically) about non-operating traplines in Alberta and transfers between Treaty-Indian Trappers and non-indian trappers. It was mentioned that (some/previous) transactions and agreements had been made between parties at different times, and then followed up by the Crown with demands to reverse the agreements, funding be returned to the purchaser(s) and the lines never allowed to transfer. Not because either party involved decided otherwise after, but because the Crown did not want such transactions/line transfers happening... so, some traplines (including those particular ones where these voided agreements took place) had since been left vacant & non-operating. Great management on the Crowns part.

It was commented too in this conversation we were having that there was (at that time) talks on-going to change that "block" specifically because so many Treaty-Trapped lines were going unused with zero fur-management within them, yet significant interest was being shown by non-treaty trappers (wanting) to bring them back to use..

Since then all went quiet and now I don't find it surprising (two years later +/-) that those possibilities and discussions have been scrapped and instead the announcement of this new Treaty 8 business be released. For the (few) Treaty guys that are active and actually operating lines, great, but it sure doesn't help anything related to those lines in that big zone that have fallen into non-use and stuck out of hands of [someone else] who actually wants to operate but can't... and now likely never will be able to

Damn shame is what it is. Very poor, mis-management of resources [by the Crown] As usual.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:41 PM

“The memorandum ensures that the association has first right of refusal should an association member’s trapline become vacant. Additionally, Alberta will notify the association when non-member traplines become vacant within the territory of Treaty 8.”

this states that the treaty 8 has first right of refusal if a "ASSOCIATIONS MEMBERS" trapline becomes vacant

but if you are not a associations member, then there should be no first right of refusal on your trapline if you pass away

they are just informed it is vacant, but i would assume anyone can buy it from the estate of the previous owner, as long as the estate does not surrender it

or am i reading this incorrectly

Last edited by D4l3k; 04-30-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:30 PM

I got clarification from the ATA president today. Nothing to worry about transfers go about as they were.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Treaty 8

Very simple question, if a first nations trapper and one of a dozen different ancestries both apply for a vacant line north of Athabasca river. Both have equal trapping experience, similar trapping equipment, taken equal number of courses etc. Who will get the trapline ?? in the greater wisdom of our Biologists being directed by GOA.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Wont the Band council issue their own trapping license? They do in other provinces. They have their own association no?