Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Default MMMm Venison

I see lots of deer killed this year and by novice hunters. Congrats if you were successful.

We discuss rifles, calibres, optics etc. etc. but not a lot about taking care of the meat other than 'Anyone know a good butcher in Cowgry."

Here's an article with some tips. one thing I would add is use your rangefinder and practice more at the range.

http://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting...stes-like-hell

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Very good article. All new(er) hunters should read.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 PM

If you took a prime grade AAA beef, shot it in the guts, chased it through the swamp till dark, then came back in the morning, jumped it and shot it a couple more times and finally found it that afternoon a little bloated, gutted it and dragged it through the swamp water, sticks and weeds, threw it in the back of the truck in the hot sun with the hide still on, drove to town parked in front of the bar while you celebrated then dropped it of at the butcher the next afternoon when the hangover wore off it would taste just like a lot of the deer and moose people shoot and do the same thing to.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If you took a prime grade AAA beef, shot it in the guts, chased it through the swamp till dark, then came back in the morning, jumped it and shot it a couple more times and finally found it that afternoon a little bloated, gutted it and dragged it through the swamp water, sticks and weeds, threw it in the back of the truck in the hot sun with the hide still on, drove to town parked in front of the bar while you celebrated then dropped it of at the butcher the next afternoon when the hangover wore off it would taste just like a lot of the deer and moose people shoot and do the same thing to.
This is the best statement if have ever read on this forum.You nailed it exactly.I always have said this but you worded it to perfection.Thanks for posting.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Haha! Awesome. ^^^^

I am one of the first timers the OP spoke of. We tried our very best to keep the meat in tip top shape. Processed it ourselves from start to finish. Had my first meal last night. Venison Spaghetti! And it was awesome, kids gobbled it, wife gobbled it. Plan on making a big batch for a family gathering shortly.

Last edited by BobNewton; 11-16-2015 at 08:08 PM.