Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
It works both ways. I live outside of Edmonton and the only time I go into the city is when I have to spend money.

I drove on their streets - thats about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Bingo.... The real one. The only time people hit the city is to depart from their pay cheques. Seems like a good system for everyone. I have NEVER drove into the city and departed without a flatter wallet.
Quote:
I am happy the city is there. You were the one who started complaining.
I live in Camrose. We are very happy and encourage other surrounding communities and farmers to shop and use out amenities. Win win.
Could you please show me where I comained about the city.....?
You seem to be complaining about leaving the city with a flatter wallet. But I'm sure you also left with something for that cash....?

Mack
Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Amazing how these smaller communities don't want the issues of bigger cities but are very happy they only have to drive a very short distance to use all the amenities of it.

Mack
Is that not a gripe of yours?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:01 PM

Yours was an observation. And fair. Post #8 was the one that was inaccurate.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
But I'm sure you also left with something for that cash....?

Mack
Hangovers and the odd rash.....
Old 11-15-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Hangovers and the odd rash.....
What more could you ask for ..😉

Mack
Old 11-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
What do we have to do to stop the annexation of Leduc by Edmonton? Our streets are fully cleared of snow at least twice a year. All of our services are top notch, no pot holes and our city managers are professional and spend money wisely. Our crime rate is low and we are policed by a professional force the RCMP.
Edmonton to wants to take us over, grab our tax money to pay off their wasteful expenditures, drop our services to meet their minimal standards, and we get absolutely nothing worthwhile in return.
What can we do? Looking for ideas.
1. They're not proposing annexing Leduc. They want Leduc County and the airport.

2. I don't know what part of Leduc you live in, but the snow removal in my area is a joke (Corinthia btw). They blade once a year if I'm lucky. By end of winter the road is higher than my driveway. The wife and I joke about if I'm gonna get stuck in winter, it's gonna be in front of my our house.
On the same topic, I work in the city and will say for the most part the city streets are cleared in winter better on every level.

3. Edmonton pot-holes do suck. But there road system is better. This year is the first year I've seen improvements in Leduc in the five years I've been here.

I don't agree with the annexation due to the generational family farmland involved. But I don't really know enough to argue to much with it.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
So apparently you can't get what you need or want from your little hamlets so be happy the city is there. I'm sure in the long run you get more from the city then the city gets from you.
I had always lived in small communities until moving here and know how a city at a close distance was a great benefit.

Mack
I can get everything I need and have it sent right to my house - and much of it at a lower cost.
I prefer to do business in Alberta with Albertans.
I am not complaining about the city just stating a fact. The city gets way more benefit from my presence than I ever have from it.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
How many oil and gas wells are there in Edmonton and Calgary combined? How many acres of ranchland do you have? How many acres of grain does Edmonton and Calgary seed every year? Got a rough guess how much timber is harvested in Edmonton and Calgary every year?
True enough, but who purchases most of these items you speak of ? Me thinks city folks. How much grain or gas or lumber would you produce if no one purchased it ! C,mon man ! That's weak !!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM

This is one of the most pointless threads I've read here in awhile. 2 Pages of nothing relevant to speak of. Really - 2 pages of city vs rural arguments?? Must be a slow Sunday evening.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:18 PM

I believe Edmonton wants to annex south west as far as Calmar. Calmar, Devon and Leduc are on the Edmonton water system already so I suspect this annexation plan has been in the works for a few decades.

The sad part is that the part of that county has some of the best agricultural soil in Western Canada and I'm not sure the city knows much about agricultural land management.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I can get everything I need and have it sent right to my house - and much of it at a lower cost.
I prefer to do business in Alberta with Albertans.
I am not complaining about the city just stating a fact. The city gets way more benefit from my presence than I ever have from it.
I have a feeling the city would not notice if you where not there but I'm sure you would notice if it was not. But you are allowed to believe what you want.

Mack
Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM

I think you should look at the St Albert model.

I am not sure how they have remained separate but they seem to be doing it.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
This is one of the most pointless threads I've read here in awhile. 2 Pages of nothing relevant to speak of. Really - 2 pages of city vs rural arguments?? Must be a slow Sunday evening.
Glad to see you had some insight to add..or are you upset because redder is next ..☺

Mack
Old 11-15-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I think you should look at the St Albert model.

I am not sure how they have remained separate but they seem to be doing it.

The difference is that St.Albert is a city unto itself.
Not a county, village or hamlet.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 AM

I'm born and raised country boy then moved to the city for work. 18 years later I still hate it! Taxes are higher, property expensive, and burn a tank of fuel every time I wanna go fishing or scouting or whatever. It's always 1 1/2 -2 hrs out one way. I know only moving to a small town on the outskirts is no different unless I just wanna cut my drive time to the bush.
My commute to work usually sucks even in the city cause I'm all over the place. Living in airdrie and doing the same would just be more time and more fuel and still basically living in the city!
If I had a job that allowed me to be in the country on my own land and didn't have to drive 100 miles everyday I'd be loving it! Going from country living to city living is a hard pill, to this day.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
True enough, but who purchases most of these items you speak of ? Me thinks city folks. How much grain or gas or lumber would you produce if no one purchased it ! C,mon man ! That's weak !!
Most of the grain, beef, timber and energy is exported out of the province.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Most of the grain, beef, timber and energy is exported out of the province.
To be used by city folks
Old 11-16-2015, 12:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
To be used by city folks
Outside of Alberta
Old 11-16-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Outside of Alberta
The grain yes, the beef yes (because we raise more beef than we could possibly eat).
The lumber? no. We import a lot of lumber.

This has gone way off topic.

The fact is, If your little community relies on a city to provide you with services then they have a vested interest in your community and its revenue.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Banned

http://www.conserve-energy-future.co...ban-sprawl.php

Urban sprawl has to be stopped. It is killing the environment! I can't believe the city of edmonton is trying to kill the environment.

Effects of Urban Sprawl

Now, we will take a look at the effects of urban sprawl, now that we have taken a closer look at the causes of it. Some of the effects include:
•Increase in Public Expenditure: They can actually play a part in the increases of public costs, because these changes in infrastructures and building must actually be paid for by someone- and it is usually the tax payers money that pays for it.
•Increased Traffic: Populations will begin to use their cars more often, which means that there is more traffic on the roads, and there is also more air pollution and more auto accidents that you have to worry with.
Health Issues: When people use their vehicles, even to go to a very short distance, people are going to be more overweight and are also going to have to deal with ailments such as high blood pressure and other diseases that come about with obesity.
•Environmental Issues: Sprawls can also cause certain environmental issues that you may want to be aware of. In fact, when you think about going out to develop these lands you will have to worry about the wildlife that lives in these lands. You will be displacing them, and it can really cause a ripple in the environment.
•Impact on Social Lives: When people move further out, they also have an impact on their social lives. They don’t have neighbors that live as close, which means that they won’t really stay as social as they should. This isn’t always the case, but it is something that should be taken note of.

As you can see, urban sprawl is something that will continue to occur as long as we live here on earth. It isn’t something that is going to change, but over time the more rural areas are going to become more populated because of development and change. This can be considered a good thing at times, but others view it as a bad thing. You also have to consider the fact that it will actually play a part in having to cut down more trees and tear up the environment, and in this aspect it is not a good thing.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Is Edmonton actually trying to annex Leduc?? That seems a long ways out distance-wise to me. Sure they aren't just trying to get Nisku for the taxes?

Strikes me St. Albert would be the first place to be annexed. it's awfully close to Edmonton in some parts... I mean you can see one community from the other in places.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
http://www.conserve-energy-future.co...ban-sprawl.php

Urban sprawl has to be stopped. It is killing the environment! I can't believe the city of edmonton is trying to kill the environment.

Effects of Urban Sprawl

Now, we will take a look at the effects of urban sprawl, now that we have taken a closer look at the causes of it. Some of the effects include:
•Increase in Public Expenditure: They can actually play a part in the increases of public costs, because these changes in infrastructures and building must actually be paid for by someone- and it is usually the tax payers money that pays for it.
•Increased Traffic: Populations will begin to use their cars more often, which means that there is more traffic on the roads, and there is also more air pollution and more auto accidents that you have to worry with.
Health Issues: When people use their vehicles, even to go to a very short distance, people are going to be more overweight and are also going to have to deal with ailments such as high blood pressure and other diseases that come about with obesity.
•Environmental Issues: Sprawls can also cause certain environmental issues that you may want to be aware of. In fact, when you think about going out to develop these lands you will have to worry about the wildlife that lives in these lands. You will be displacing them, and it can really cause a ripple in the environment.
•Impact on Social Lives: When people move further out, they also have an impact on their social lives. They don’t have neighbors that live as close, which means that they won’t really stay as social as they should. This isn’t always the case, but it is something that should be taken note of.

As you can see, urban sprawl is something that will continue to occur as long as we live here on earth. It isn’t something that is going to change, but over time the more rural areas are going to become more populated because of development and change. This can be considered a good thing at times, but others view it as a bad thing. You also have to consider the fact that it will actually play a part in having to cut down more trees and tear up the environment, and in this aspect it is not a good thing.
LOL OMG I thought you were serious for a moment there Ruga. Did your kid write that for his or her Grade 8 Social Studies class?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Get a grass roots movement going and enlist other likeminded people to help get a signature from every resident of Leduc then give it to the town council.

I am wondering how many years it is till Calgary grows to the point that annexing Airdrie comes into play.When it does happen the residents and business's in Airdrie will mighty angry about it.A lot of business has moved from Calgary to Airdrie because of the cost of doing business.Best example I can think of is Ropak which moved it's operation there 10+ years ago.Ropak started with 1 building and grew from there to what it is now and it is a pretty big operation.

FTH
Actually it is Propak and they have been in Airdrie since the early 80 s by far the largest employer in Airdrie. I did not think a city could annex another city without majority approval
Old 11-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL OMG I thought you were serious for a moment there Ruga. Did your kid write that for his or her Grade 8 Social Studies class?
I find you're becoming quite acerbic lately. Everything OK?

To answer your other question, Edmonton is not trying to annex Leduc, just a large portion of Leduc county between Leduc and Edmonton including the airport (fair enough on the airport and even a corridor from Edm to airport) and between Edmonton and Beaumont...which are almost joined already.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
The difference is that St.Albert is a city unto itself.
Not a county, village or hamlet.
Yes but the OP seems to be referring to Leduc the town vs the county? He talks about streets being plowed etc.

If he is referring to the county then the town needs to annex county land if possible. Again, St Albert just keeps annexing Sturgeon county lands to the North.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM

I was referring to an article, in Saturdays Edm sun. where the City of Leduc was included. The article may have been wrong. But it shook me up pretty good. Oh, And Leduc is a City, for those unaware.
Thanks everyone for you input.
I hope my E-mail to Our Mayor doesn't shake him up too badly.