Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 10:54 AM

Default 5.1 Stereo Receiver Issues

Noticed my front left tower speaker not working. Very faint sound. Switched the speaker to a different channel and works fine. So it's not the speaker. So i'm guessing it has something to do with that channel in my receiver. Any tech guys/gals out there that have any advice on how to fix?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Open the back and blow all the dust out with air canister this works on my old harmon kardon amp
Old 04-04-2018, 11:18 AM

Hate to ask the obvious but did you check the connections on the back of the receiver? Also inspect the cable for any damage?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Flux capacitor could be loose...
Old 04-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Hate to ask the obvious but did you check the connections on the back of the receiver? Also inspect the cable for any damage?
This is good advice... also remember connections at the speakers. Lightly wiggle connections, cables, and speaker wire while something is playing.

Edit: Dont do this at high volume as you can blow your amp... also what does 5.1 mean?

Last edited by drhu22; 04-04-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
This is good advice... also remember connections at the speakers. Lightly wiggle connections, cables, and speaker wire while something is playing.

Edit: Dont do this at high volume as you can blow your amp... also what does 5.1 mean?
5 speakers and a sub.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
5 speakers and a sub.
I see...
What is the source... computer?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I see...
What is the source... computer?
The stereo amplifier.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
The stereo amplifier.
The reason I asked was that lots of people (myself included) play audio from their computer through their stereo amplifier which would bring up other possibilities to consider. If not, I'm out of ideas... maybe amp is blown.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:43 PM

If the problem speaker works by just changing its wires over to another channel, ex, "A" channel to "B" channel and if the same problem comes back after changing back to A channel you have then eliminated connections as the problem. The problem is quite likely with the output stage amplifier transistors for that channel. Time then to take it to the stereo repair shop.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Ranger View Post
If the problem speaker works by just changing its wires over to another channel, ex, "A" channel to "B" channel and if the same problem comes back after changing back to A channel you have then eliminated connections as the problem. The problem is quite likely with the output stage amplifier transistors for that channel. Time then to take it to the stereo repair shop.
That would depend on if he switched just at the speaker (amp connection could still be bad) no? Anyways I dont think thats his problem as he hasnt responded regarding those issues.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked was that lots of people (myself included) play audio from their computer through their stereo amplifier which would bring up other possibilities to consider. If not, I'm out of ideas... maybe amp is blown.
While this is true, that shouldn't change the speaker output.

The speakers will still output through the speaker ports on the amp. when attaching a computer, unless you're running an advanced audio card, will likely lose the true surround sound, however, if the computer was the issue, it wouldn't affect 1 speaker, it would affect them all (since the source feeding the amplifier is single)

As already mentioned, first check the connections - often a loose wire on the back of the speaker or amp.

Second, check wire for anything wrong (recently found a cat bite mark in a wire to my rear speakers)

Thirdly would be the speaker port itself.

Beyond that, likely looking at major costs to repair like the motherboard for the amp type thing.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
While this is true, that shouldn't change the speaker output.

The speakers will still output through the speaker ports on the amp. when attaching a computer, unless you're running an advanced audio card, will likely lose the true surround sound, however, if the computer was the issue, it wouldn't affect 1 speaker, it would affect them all (since the source feeding the amplifier is single)
As already mentioned, first check the connections - often a loose wire on the back of the speaker or amp.
Second, check wire for anything wrong (recently found a cat bite mark in a wire to my rear speakers)
Thirdly would be the speaker port itself.
Beyond that, likely looking at major costs to repair like the motherboard for the amp type thing.
Thats a large assumption... if you add a computer to the mix you can add possibility of driver issues, Windows (I'm assuming) issues, soundcard settings, system sound settings and issues, soundcard seating and connections, and probably some others that Im forgetting. If the signal from you comp is corrupted theres no telling what the result might be at the speaker end.

Iv even heard of windows update issues causing problems

Last edited by drhu22; 04-04-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks for advice. My receiver is an old Harmon Kardon that is about 16 years old.

I checked all the connections and everything seems good. Not running it from my computer just using it movie sound etc. from my tv. Receiver turns on and everything runs normal except for 1 speaker is very quiet. Plugged that speaker into another port and it worked fine. So it seems like the front left "port or channel" is messed up. I'll try blowing the dust out of the receiver tonight. Any other suggestions?

Would rather not buy a new receiver if it is an easy fix.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Thats a large assumption... if you add a computer to the mix you can add possibility of driver issues, Windows (I'm assuming) issues, soundcard settings, system sound settings and issues, soundcard seating and connections, and probably some others that Im forgetting. If the signal from you comp is corrupted theres no telling what the result might be at the speaker end.
ok
Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM

To rule out the amp as the source, swap speakers first. Then proceed as others mentioned. Eliminate as many possibilities as you can.
I would start swaping speakers, then channels, then speaker wires.
Do you have a cat by chance? they like speaker wires! Mine does, I think he gets a kick out of it when it squeaks against his teeth. Sound like a mouse behind the sofa occasionally!
Old 04-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhonky View Post
Thanks for advice. My receiver is an old Harmon Kardon that is about 16 years old.

I checked all the connections and everything seems good. Not running it from my computer just using it movie sound etc. from my tv. Receiver turns on and everything runs normal except for 1 speaker is very quiet. Plugged that speaker into another port and it worked fine. So it seems like the front left "port or channel" is messed up. I'll try blowing the dust out of the receiver tonight. Any other suggestions?

Would rather not buy a new receiver if it is an easy fix.
Important to check the source input wires. If you have a TV box connected to the receiver how is it connected? HDMI or Optical cable, Digital Coax cable? Do you have a DVD player connected and how is it connected? The input from your source connections could have come loose too or you have a bad cable from the source to the receiver. Try playing in straight stereo mode not 5.1 mode. See if that makes a difference.

It could be the output channel too like you mentioned above and then if that is the case after checking all your input connections and it still doesn't work then the receiver is a boat anchor.

PM me if you like I can trouble shoot for you off line.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:33 PM

Also does your receiver have a setup where you can output test tone and I know you said you are not using a computer but what is it doing on and is it on HDMI cable ,I have seen some really weird things caused by HDMI cables.Other than that check all of the above and don't forget to ask goggle with your make and model number other than that I would say boat anchor.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:07 PM

Like I said..."Plugged that speaker into another port and it worked fine." I have had this problem with an amp/receiver several times over the last 45 yrs. I am betting it is an output amp transistor on that channel. Transistors don't last forever and the HK is a good unit especially early/mid seventies. Get it checked out by a tech, should be less than a C note.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 AM

Check your speaker level settings,

If they are even with the others and output is still low then that channel is blown.

V