Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Default Left Hand X bolt?

Does anybody know if Browning makes a left handed X bolt? Or if they plan to in the future? Thx PN
Old 11-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Not that I've heard, or read.
Same with the Sako A7

There are no absolutes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Lots of lefty choices but the X-bolt isn't on of them.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Sucks being left eye dominant.....
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
Not as bad a 20 yrs ago.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantnut View Post
I'm left eye dominant but I just trained myself to shoot right-handed. It actually feels weird to shoulder a rifle on my left shoulder now. I still can't look through a spotting scope or camera with my right eye though....lol
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 AM

Well Sheep if you saw how thick my glasses are you'd know that my right eye isn't an option....not if I actually wanted to hit something that is
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM

I had one of the guys at Russell's tell me (after doing some checking) that the lefty x-bolts won't be out until near the end of 2010.

LA
Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM

so here is the deal with me....and i am wondering how many of you lefties agree..or have the same experiences i am having. (also sorry to hijack a thread)...but...other than off hand shooting...i find that being a lefty with a right handed gun is beneficial.....here is what i mean...if i am shooting off a bipod or orr a rest my right hand is there to pretty much steady the gun while my left does all the real "work"....after the shot i find it far easier to work the bolt on a right handed gun with my right hand...all the while keeping the butt of the rifle against my shoulder and my left hand on the pistol grip and finger on the trigger guard. but if i had a left handed rifle in the same position i woul dhave to let go of the left hand...rifle stock could drop or need to be repositioned...work the bolt..then find my grip again, reposition the rifle on my shoulder etc....am i crazy in thinking this??

of course i still get shells ejected by my face......that i do not like.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
so here is the deal with me....and i am wondering how many of you lefties agree..or have the same experiences i am having. (also sorry to hijack a thread)...but...other than off hand shooting...i find that being a lefty with a right handed gun is beneficial.....here is what i mean...if i am shooting off a bipod or orr a rest my right hand is there to pretty much steady the gun while my left does all the real "work"....after the shot i find it far easier to work the bolt on a right handed gun with my right hand...all the while keeping the butt of the rifle against my shoulder and my left hand on the pistol grip and finger on the trigger guard. but if i had a left handed rifle in the same position i woul dhave to let go of the left hand...rifle stock could drop or need to be repositioned...work the bolt..then find my grip again, reposition the rifle on my shoulder etc....am i crazy in thinking this??

of course i still get shells ejected by my face......that i do not like.
Are you crazy? In a word yes.

With practice you should be able to reload a left handed bolt action rifle with your left hand, sitting, prone, standing, eating or sleeping, without losing sight picture much faster and with much greater efficiency than you can a right handed bolt. To watch someone who knows what they are doing with a bolt gun causes you to wonder what all the fuss is about over semi autos, levers, and pumps.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-09-2009, 05:40 PM

I agree with ya Clash. The only reason I shoot LH's is for that one in a million shot that decides to go bad. My understanding that the failure point is going to be through the breach so that puts it right in front of your face. Just a thought.

tm
Old 11-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I agree with ya Clash. The only reason I shoot LH's is for that one in a million shot that decides to go bad. My understanding that the failure point is going to be through the breach so that puts it right in front of your face. Just a thought.

tm
yup i agree and my next rifle will be a LH rifle...but i can work my rifle as fast and as smooth as my rh friends....
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I'm left handed and I will never shoot a right handed bolt if I have the option for a left handed bolt.

If your thoughts are the norm - hell all the righty shooters would be shooting lefty guns so I conclude that yes, you are crazy !! ! ! !

BTW the A bolt is a VERY nice gun, at least I think so

Last edited by Jerry D; 11-09-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Get an Abolt!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'm left eye dominant but I just trained myself to shoot right-handed.
Hey Sheep....are you naturally a left handed? If you are....man you're messed up

tm
Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

I still shoot both left and right bolt guns, just because some of the calibers I want don't come in left hand and I don't want to fool with getting a lefty re-barreled. When I started shooting there were no left hand bolts available in Canada, except custom modified mausers, which were way out of my price range. Savage brought out the first production ones in the 70s and my first lefty was a Savage 110 in 300 Win Mag. You have not idea how great it was to get a gun that worked from the proper side.

Now, all my serious hunting rifles are leftys, levers or falling block single shots. I reserve the right handed ones for paper, and varmits where the wrong sided bolt isn't a problem.