Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 04:46 PM

Grayling populations are threatened in Alberta because of fish handling? Seriously...
Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Looks like the Pembina is following Falls Creek. Closed to all fishing - logging, land distruction and quadding continues.
Is there anything untrue in this? No, there isn't; so how about we stick to the topic and stop bashing Don.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Funny how poaching or poor fish-handling habits are never blamed for decline of fish stocks, considering how many fishermen there are in this province compared to how many water bodies there are.
Darn right they are blamed, that's why we have numbers to call and rewards for turning poachers in. Lots of idiots out there, sad part is those idiots will probably keep right on fishing the closed upper Pembina.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:10 PM

Well I don't find it funny at all. Fish populations are indisputably in decline in this province and all factions are to blame. Industry destroying habitat, poachers, quadders, poor handling by inexperienced or non-caring anglers, large angler populations vs available waters, 1-in-200 year floods, dams, over harvest, and who knows what the heck else all contribute to the stress. Bashing someone who brings up a legitamite concern benefits no one. As concerned outdoorsmen we should be banding together to try and make change real and rewarding. It kind of sickens me to read this crap. Why don't we instead direct our collective energies to repairing the damage and ensuring that not only we have great fishing opertunities in the future but that also our grandkids can catch a few as well!!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingRainbows View Post
Do you have any links to info about this?
I wrote a piece in the Mag about this last year. And they tried to sneak it through with a full blown environmental impact hearing.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
I thought I explained this pretty well but for the slower folk I'll try again. Don Anderson has a long history of attacking fellow outdoorsmen on this forum for enjoying outdoor pursuits that he doesn't feel fit his model of conservation. ATV use in particular. Constantly screaming that they be banned because he doesn't approve. Have a look at his threads started and you'll quickly see what I mean.

Now here we are with a ban alright, but this one wipes out a form of recreation that he partakes in. To post it here is a public statement that he disapproves and is looking for support. No doubt he will find some. In fact if you read close you'll see I stated that I disagree with the decision to close that section of the river.
Typically I don't visit or comment in the fly fishing section, nor do I fish "quality lakes", because everyone needs their special place to hang out with like minded people and I respect that. I don't know what lead to ishootbambi's suspension but I don't see anything untruthful in his comments.

I find it highly hypocritical that anyone who has been very vocal advocating against the outdoor pursuits of others would now complain about a closure that effects them personally. Let's not talk about the closures that certain individuals personally advocated for to create C&R fisheries at the expense of other anglers or advocating for banning ATV's, let's just talk about a closure that effects the individual who actively advocates against the activities of other outdoorsmen. People the do that kind of thing won't get any sympathy from me, I feel schadenfreude.....or as we say in the Army, it looks good on them!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Banned

Personally I think they should ban Quads from most places in the west country.
I can honestly tell you that after watching one quadding video shot in alberta that those guys do more environmental damage in 10 seconds than I have in 45 years of fly fishing.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Banned

Whew!!! I thought he was talking about me for a second there! Carry on
Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Typically I don't visit or comment in the fly fishing section, nor do I fish "quality lakes", because everyone needs their special place to hang out with like minded people and I respect that. I don't know what lead to ishootbambi's suspension but I don't see anything untruthful in his comments.

I find it highly hypocritical that anyone who has been very vocal advocating against the outdoor pursuits of others would now complain about a closure that effects them personally. Let's not talk about the closures that certain individuals personally advocated for to create C&R fisheries at the expense of other anglers or advocating for banning ATV's, let's just talk about a closure that effects the individual who actively advocates against the activities of other outdoorsmen. People the do that kind of thing won't get any sympathy from me, I feel schadenfreude.....or as we say in the Army, it looks good on them!
X2 Very true. I think ISM has better things to do and won't miss the site. Sometimes things are better not said though even if they are true.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Great entrance back into the fly fishing forum. ISB is suspended and for the right reasons. Are you vying for 2nd place? I don't get the personal attacks but I guess you and lannie "have issues". My advice is to take them elsewhere.

Regarding the Pembina I hope there really is a plan that unfolds for "restoration". I've tried several contacts at so far to volunteer but nothing back yet. Hopefully they are just slow to respond and actually do have a plan... time will tell.

Neil, interesting post on the fishing for brookies. I have never fishing the Pembina in the upper sections and I found that interesting.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Question

What sticks in the quadders craw is court proceedings I posted from our local newspaper regarding fines given out to quadders.
The postings were an attempt to inform the quadders that some of their actions were illegal. This was done as the quad organizations/ govt were not keeping the quadders abreast a what was illegal.
From these postings, quadders somehow felt that I was picking on them. The reverse was obviously true. I wanted them not to be in court news.

As far as closures, years ago I read that an African country who hosted hunts for exotic animals were going to ban hunting rather than dealing with poaching, land destruction, habitat loss and the like. What this country failed to recognize, it was only the legal hunters who funded natural areas, enforcement activities and the like. Once the hunters were gone, the herds disappeared rapidly.

Guess we are joining African Game management.

And comments about contracts etc are bang on. Only On a go forward basis will we get better at protecting our land base.

Some years ago an ACA grant recieprant undertook an examination on the stream crossings in the Swan Hills area and found 700 of 900 did not meet the standards for fish passage. They were illegal. When I approach both ESRD and the DFO about the issue, neither of the managers cared. What is scary, grayling migrate a long way to spawn. No passage, no spawn, no grayling.

And Neil - don't know ya' that Brook Trout are now evil fish and should be eradicated at every opportunity. Preserve a Brooky stream. Heresy!!!!!

Don
Old 04-19-2016, 08:27 AM

Default Land Use

A number of years ago I helped a friend install signage on a number of Grazing Reserves all the way from Rocky Mountain House area up to High Prairie. The basic message to OHV users, hunters and fisherman was "use respect" along with other common sense phrases like "keep gates closed" etc, etc.

I just spoke to that same friend the other day and it sounds like it's in the works for the Province to potentially want 30-40 signs replaced. The signs were 4' X 8' or 5' X 10' signs on 4" X 4" p.t. or metal posts. Many of the signs have been damaged beyond recognition along with fences and property.

The new basic message will be "OHV USERS- STAY OUT."

Apparently, a number of quadders either didn't read the signs or couldn't play by the rules. TOTAL BAN.

I'm personally very pleased to hear that they may totally ban OHVs on the reserves and not the least bit surprised after seeing some of the damage for myself. Now, (one can dream) it will only be a matter of time for the rest of the Province to follow suit.

Stan
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

So it was only the quadders that damages things? Funny how we always hear about signs shot up by shooters, but all this damage is only quadders? Bull****.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
What sticks in the quadders craw is court proceedings I posted from our local newspaper regarding fines given out to quadders.
The postings were an attempt to inform the quadders that some of their actions were illegal. This was done as the quad organizations/ govt were not keeping the quadders abreast a what was illegal.
From these postings, quadders somehow felt that I was picking on them. The reverse was obviously true. I wanted them not to be in court news.

As far as closures, years ago I read that an African country who hosted hunts for exotic animals were going to ban hunting rather than dealing with poaching, land destruction, habitat loss and the like. What this country failed to recognize, it was only the legal hunters who funded natural areas, enforcement activities and the like. Once the hunters were gone, the herds disappeared rapidly.

Guess we are joining African Game management.

And comments about contracts etc are bang on. Only On a go forward basis will we get better at protecting our land base.

Some years ago an ACA grant recieprant undertook an examination on the stream crossings in the Swan Hills area and found 700 of 900 did not meet the standards for fish passage. They were illegal. When I approach both ESRD and the DFO about the issue, neither of the managers cared. What is scary, grayling migrate a long way to spawn. No passage, no spawn, no grayling.

And Neil - don't know ya' that Brook Trout are now evil fish and should be eradicated at every opportunity. Preserve a Brooky stream. Heresy!!!!!

Don

Don, since these guys have neither the manpower, the budget or the knowhow to eradicate brookies (no rotenone please, because this is supposed to be a grayling rescue mission) if the fishing was good before, imagine how great the evil Pembina will be for brook trout after a five year angling ban.
Bring it on.
Although to tell the truth, other than the three crossing points, there's huge inaccessible sections from the FTR to Paddy Creek that never gets fished.
Which makes this whole futile exercise even more stupid and surreal.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So it was only the quadders that damages things? Funny how we always hear about signs shot up by shooters, but all this damage is only quadders? Bull****.

It was only the quadders "that damages things"
"De Nile" is a grand river to travel on.

The signs aren't the issue. People have been plugging signs (the signs we installed are made of HDP, so bullet holes don't shatter on exit but leave a nice clean hole) for decades. They can be replaced for a cost.

Habitat can't be replaced.

It's the property damage done by careless OHV users that will set precedent and hopefully cause full closure to all public lands for OHV users.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
There are some actual quaders that are good people but they are not the majority. I've met maybe 5-6 in the area I'm at with another 1000 quading scumbags. It is that tilted. It is sad for sure.

By scumbag I mean someone who would tear down a no trespassing sign, ride over it and then actually saying "I didn't know this was private property?" Video evidence is so good. Or how about pulling onto the gravel road that everyone drives and spins out donuts galore. There are varying levels of scumbags but there are many of them, unfortunately for those that are actually respectful quaders and organizations that promote them.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Really? Who else would do this ...

When the sign is supposed to be like ...

I'm calling BS on your BS.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Ah yes. Those dastardly wading anglers. They're the issue. Lol.

Smitty
Especially the overweight ones...talk about ground disturbance.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Those signs are too knew to be effective, gotta have a hole or two in 'em so you know people have seen them!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Folks,

Looks like the Pembina is following Falls Creek. Closed to all fishing - logging, land distruction and quadding continues.

Looks like the Pembina is the next step on the road to fishing loss.

Always wondered what would happen to fishing after we got to zero limits.

Now I know.

Don
Just reading through this thread and the regs say parts of the Pembina are open within the given dates?

Just want to make sure I am not misreading something, thanks

Pembina River downstream of Hwy 43 (near Sangudo)

June 1 to Oct. 31 – Arctic Grayling limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Bait is allowed in river only.

Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED
Old 04-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post

You didn't see who did it though obviously, so just blame the user you don't like.

Pretty convenient.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Personally I think they should ban Quads from most places in the west country.
I can honestly tell you that after watching one quadding video shot in alberta that those guys do more environmental damage in 10 seconds than I have in 45 years of fly fishing.
can you post the link to this video. There are thousands of atv videos on youtube

thanks

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-23-2016, 12:05 PM

I really don't see the issue. They want to protect the river. There's no point in doing anything if it's just going to be everyone go catch all the fish you want. They mention many different factors not just fishing. Look at the fishing limits. I wouldn't have a problem with banning all fishing for one full calendar year. Imagine how good the fishing would be after that. Please don't embarrass yourself by saying fishing isn't detrimental to fish populations.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post

Who does that is the same mentality that will graffiti business owners washroom walls, willfully destroy private/ public property, or litter. Does it matter what mode of transportation they use be it a mountain bike, motocross, atv or snowmobile while doing whatever activity they are pursuing? No matter what these types do or where they are they will be destructive.

But dont let me interrupt you're regularly scheduled quad bashing with common sense

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Just reading through this thread and the regs say parts of the Pembina are open within the given dates?

Just want to make sure I am not misreading something, thanks

Pembina River downstream of Hwy 43 (near Sangudo)

June 1 to Oct. 31 – Arctic Grayling limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10; Bait is allowed in river only.

Nov. 1 to May 31 – CLOSED

Something is not right in the twine box. You say it is open but....
This says otherwise.

https://albertawilderness.ca/awa-nr-...overy-actions/

Parts of the Pembina are closed. The upper reaches. Appears
Ike the lower reaches are open.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Folks,

Quote:
Something is not right in the twine box. You say it is open but....
This says otherwise.

https://albertawilderness.ca/awa-nr-...overy-actions/

Parts of the Pembina are closed. The upper reaches. Appears
Ike the lower reaches are open.
Please re-read my post, I did not say it was open, I stated that parts of the Pembina appear open as per the provided quote from the regs.

The OP (I now see it was you) stated the Pembina was closed when in fact it is only parts of it. The AWA link provided confirms this:

the Alberta government will put in place a 5 year ‘recovery rest period’ in the upper Pembina River

I just wanted to confirm the regs had not been superseded or amended.

Not sure what the comment re twine box means - I'll assume it was not intended to be personally insulting or ignorant
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Hes been doing it his whole life. Evil quadders craossing the streambed he wades in, evil oil industry building roads to extract the resources that fed the gasplant he made his living in, evil forestry employing the guys buying his fishing rods. Evil roads except the ones he drives on to his fishing spots. It was totally OK with him when any area got quad restrictions to save fish...but when a low fish stock results in a restriction on fishing to save fish its the end of the world.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-24-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
A number of years ago I helped a friend install signage on a number of Grazing Reserves all the way from Rocky Mountain House area up to High Prairie. The basic message to OHV users, hunters and fisherman was "use respect" along with other common sense phrases like "keep gates closed" etc, etc.

I just spoke to that same friend the other day and it sounds like it's in the works for the Province to potentially want 30-40 signs replaced. The signs were 4' X 8' or 5' X 10' signs on 4" X 4" p.t. or metal posts. Many of the signs have been damaged beyond recognition along with fences and property.

The new basic message will be "OHV USERS- STAY OUT."

Apparently, a number of quadders either didn't read the signs or couldn't play by the rules. TOTAL BAN.

I'm personally very pleased to hear that they may totally ban OHVs on the reserves and not the least bit surprised after seeing some of the damage for myself. Now, (one can dream) it will only be a matter of time for the rest of the Province to follow suit.

Stan
Ya don't think that there might be a bear or two between RMH and GP that'd destroy one or two of those signs do you?
Nah, it had to have been quaders because.....well, just because.
Wow!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Ya don't think that there might be a bear or two between RMH and GP that'd destroy one or two of those signs do you?
Nah, it had to have been quaders because.....well, just because.
Wow!
LOL! The bears here that attack signs and have the smarts to take the "no" portion off. Unbelievable.
I see it every day and mostly the weekends on my property. I have plenty of pictures of scumbag quaders. Doing their "thing". As in ripping up the land, mud bogging the stream, ridding over torn down fences that the previous quader cut, taking down no trespassing signs and riding over them, and even, believe or not, changing wording on signs to mean something else - wow clever. I don't know what it is when you get some motorized ATV under some guys. Makes them more ignorant then before they got on.

Now the authorities have this footage along with license plates from their vehicles. Those that unloaded nearby anyways. It's going to be a good year here, bad one for quaders and that is what makes it good. Sorry, but I have no respect for anyone who has that much disrespect for the land I love. And all of this done on private property.

It takes zero stretch in thinking were else they go and do the exact same thing, and again, and again.

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-23-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
LOL! The bears here that attack signs and have the smarts to take the "no" portion off. Unbelievable.
I see it every day and mostly the weekends on my property. I have plenty of pictures of scumbag quaders. Doing their "thing". As in ripping up the land, mud bogging the stream, ridding over torn down fences that the previous quader cut, taking down no trespassing signs and riding over them, and even, believe or not, changing wording on signs to mean something else - wow clever. I don't know what it is when you get some motorized ATV under some guys. Makes them more ignorant then before they got on.

Now the authorities have this footage along with license plates from their vehicles. Those that unloaded nearby anyways. It's going to be a good year here, bad one for quaders and that is what makes it good. Sorry, but I have no respect for anyone who has that much disrespect for the land I love. And all of this done on private property.

It takes zero stretch in thinking were else they go and do the exact same thing, and again, and again.
Yea you might want to reread his post. Pay closer attention to the bold section of the quoted post. Maybe then you'll grasp the fact that he is referring to the large 4 by 8 or 5 by 10 as in feet signs while you're fixated on the yellow corrugated plastic ones in the pictures