Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Family Day Glitch

So family day weekend some of us regulars planned to take the wives and kids fishing to pigeon. Two of the wives had walleye draws. However come to find out that the relm site won't allow an adult to purchase the walleye tags without first purchasing the sport fishing licence. So end result wives didn't purchase anything, so didn't go. So because they didn't go their kids didn't go either so end result is latest trends are wait 5 years for class A tags at Pigeon and forfeit 2 class A tags, 9 class Bs. Now the kids still could have gone for their walleye but point is its family day weekend and its suppose to be free. Meanwhile kids, seniors, and treaties are free 365 but even though family day weekend is advertised as free its not really free. If they really want people involved then they need to get on the ball and fix this.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 PM

That whole walleye draw thing is a bunch of crap. Totally corrupt system and money grab. It’s ridiculous
Old 03-19-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
So family day weekend some of us regulars planned to take the wives and kids fishing to pigeon. Two of the wives had walleye draws. However come to find out that the relm site won't allow an adult to purchase the walleye tags without first purchasing the sport fishing licence. So end result wives didn't purchase anything, so didn't go. So because they didn't go their kids didn't go either so end result is latest trends are wait 5 years for class A tags at Pigeon and forfeit 2 class A tags, 9 class Bs. Now the kids still could have gone for their walleye but point is its family day weekend and its suppose to be free. Meanwhile kids, seniors, and treaties are free 365 but even though family day weekend is advertised as free its not really free. If they really want people involved then they need to get on the ball and fix this.
1 why did the wives not go?
2 why would tbe wives put in for draw if no license
3it is a family day and fishing is free?????

mack
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Fishing regs still apply on family fishing day. It's not a free-for-all. You still need tags to fish for walleye on water where tags are required. You can't buy drawn tags without a license and kids/seniors can't keep walleye on water where tags are required. It's a waste to apply for tags and not go through with buying a license in order to use them. I don't see this as an honest gripe, more like better planning is needed.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
That whole walleye draw thing is a bunch of crap. Totally corrupt system and money grab. It’s ridiculous
I agree with you. This province does not promote fishing. Was out yesterday at long lake and there was 1 other person. You could drive up to Calling lake and it would be the same. Not worth it for 1 fish. It’s just a matter of time before the province ruins slave lake and starts that tag program.
I know a few people that don’t bother fishing anymore. I’m sure a lot of members have seen that
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Outdoor fanatic, Last year I had a similar thought and was a little annoyed that I couldn’t buy my wife’s tags b/c she didn’t have a licence as it was a free fishing weekend. But that’s the rules so we got her a licence and had a great weekend. Was totally worth the money and to most of us the cost of the license is the smallest expensive in the grand scheme of fishing related cost. I mean unless you live on the lake, inherited your father boat, catch your own bait, and steal your Neibours gas, the $30 fee Isn’t much. Now that I think about it, that sounds like a pretty good life.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Really confused, you need a licence to fish for walleye that is a draw system regardless if it s fish for free wk-end...so why can't you use the fish for free and fill the tags....there is no free for all going on as you are still restricted to the walleye you have tags for....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2018, 07:37 AM
Banned

I don't see the problem. Almost sounds likes you are trying to game the system by pulling tags for the woman and kids who aren't actually interested in fishing so that you can take home more fish. If the wives were interested in fishing they would hold a licence. If the kids were into it they would have went regardless.

Sounds like you're whining because you didn't get to pile a dozen walleye in the freezer without having to buy a licence and support the fisheries.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Really confused, you need a licence to fish for walleye that is a draw system regardless if it s fish for free wk-end...so why can't you use the fish for free and fill the tags....there is no free for all going on as you are still restricted to the walleye you have tags for....
on the free weekend you dont need a license to fish for walleye..

mack
Old 03-20-2018, 08:57 AM

I dont like how the draw system is set up really that you are specifically paying for fish - i would rather it averaged out over all licenses and people who want it could apply. But with the number of fisherman we have compared to lakes there isnt a lot of options.

Thing i dont agree with inital post is that i can understand wanting to take fish home for sure, however the fishing experience isnt 100% about keeping fish. Lots of other amazing times/experiences/stories to be had, and it sounds like a couple of downers took the whole event down, not really the systems fault. Reminds me a little of the old timers having stories of taking home buckets and buckets of fish and then complaining that fishing sucks now, and they wont go because they cant catch or eat anything.

Sucks your get together got ruined, but it is free to fish, and if you went to a lake without tags(which granted is getting rare) you could have followed through with maximum fish harvest, and also try to get a limit for a couple of dogs on the boat as well.... haha

Rattling the cage a little i guess, but we need the long term sustainability. Why should you not fish all year and purchase a license like 99 percent of the people on this board and be able to take home fish equally the same?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:56 PM

I like the comment that it is free for the fishing license but not a free-for-all.

Sounds like the Op needs some edumacation.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Fishing regs still apply on family fishing day. It's not a free-for-all. You still need tags to fish for walleye on water where tags are required. You can't buy drawn tags without a license and kids/seniors can't keep walleye on water where tags are required. It's a waste to apply for tags and not go through with buying a license in order to use them. I don't see this as an honest gripe, more like better planning is needed.
You only need tags to keep walleye on tag lakes.

Kids and Seniors can indeed apply for and get tags with out a fishing licence. They just need a WIN card to apply for and purchase tags.

For some reason though if you are 16-64 you also need a fishing licence as well as a WIN card to purchase tags. This might not be so bad if the licence was pro-rated or would last a year from the date of purchase. But family day comes very close to the end of the useful licence.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
on the free weekend you dont need a license to fish for walleye..

mack
So you got your tags and on the wk-end you can fish for the walleye which makes sense.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Error

As usual these threads go side ways and quickly miss the original point. Simple question why are we ok with having a free weekend at all? Its not like people without a licence are required to catch and release only. They too are allow a limit of fish on free weekends. So if we're all ok with that then why are we suddenly not ok with someone who fishes on a free weekend and takes a tagged walleye? Sure be nice if the trolls would understand the facts before pilling on. Sounds like to me that there's a lot of selfish anglers on here that would prefer to run new anglers off permanently. Certainly not very encouraging to new folks.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
They won’t sell you the tags without a angling lisence being purchased first.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
I don't see the problem. Almost sounds likes you are trying to game the system by pulling tags for the woman and kids who aren't actually interested in fishing so that you can take home more fish. If the wives were interested in fishing they would hold a licence. If the kids were into it they would have went regardless.

Sounds like you're whining because you didn't get to pile a dozen walleye in the freezer without having to buy a licence and support the fisheries.

Exactly my thought. Sounds like they applied for draws specifically to redeem them on a free weekend just so they wouldn't have to buy licenses. If they were actually interested in fishing and wanted to spend time together they would have just gone and fished anyway and thrown them all back. Sounds like spending time with the family wasn't actually as important as filling the freezer. You have to pay to play!

Last edited by Wes_G; 03-20-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
As usual these threads go side ways and quickly miss the original point. Simple question why are we ok with having a free weekend at all? Its not like people without a licence are required to catch and release only. They too are allow a limit of fish on free weekends. So if we're all ok with that then why are we suddenly not ok with someone who fishes on a free weekend and takes a tagged walleye? Sure be nice if the trolls would understand the facts before pilling on. Sounds like to me that there's a lot of selfish anglers on here that would prefer to run new anglers off permanently. Certainly not very encouraging to new folks.
I don't believe what your saying is happening on this thread. If it weren't for walleye tags this whole thread doesn't happen. Fish for any other species, abide the regulations, and all is good.

Since it is the walleye tags that are creating the problem lets look at that and only that. On specific waters you cannot keep walleye without tags. How do you get tags? You apply for them and you may be drawn. Being drawn does not get you the tags, you must to have a license to purchase them (lets not discuss red herrings like kids/seniors/FN). Why would a person go through the draw system and not buy a license? It doesn't make much sense to be drawn tags and then wait for the free weekend to use them. If a person was given the tags, sans a license, then those tags would only be good for the free weekend. Does that make sense? No. That is why you cannot get your tags without buying a license.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Default Why the free???

CNP you miss understood completely. The question here is do we support or not the program of the free family weekends? My intent was only to point out that the purpose as I understand it is to encourage new people to get involved without the cost that the rest of us regulars have i.e. annual lic cost. But come to find out that the program defeats itself by forcing people to buy that lic when dealing with a tagged walleye. So tell me why can a new person go to slave lake on the free weekend and catch and keep 2 walleye with no lic and no tags, but they can't buy tags that they legally drew for unless they first buy a lic??? That's no "red hearing" that's the issue, its call hypocrisy. And it discourages the very ones we say we're trying to encourage. So if the walleye is the issue as many here want to say then why are the walleye throughout the province not treated the same??? Read the question before you spout off.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
CNP you miss understood completely.
The only spouting I'm seeing on this thread is you. So cool it.

If walleye was the only reason your "family" wanted to fish then go to a lake like Slave where you can keep them. Sorry but no one on here sets the regulations but we do abide by them. It is not just tags that the regs still follow on a free fishing weekend it is clearly communicated that regulations apply. Do you expect to keep pike any size as well and forget that regulation too?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
CNP you miss understood completely. The question here is do we support or not the program of the free family weekends? My intent was only to point out that the purpose as I understand it is to encourage new people to get involved without the cost that the rest of us regulars have i.e. annual lic cost. But come to find out that the program defeats itself by forcing people to buy that lic when dealing with a tagged walleye. So tell me why can a new person go to slave lake on the free weekend and catch and keep 2 walleye with no lic and no tags, but they can't buy tags that they legally drew for unless they first buy a lic??? That's no "red hearing" that's the issue, its call hypocrisy. And it discourages the very ones we say we're trying to encourage. So if the walleye is the issue as many here want to say then why are the walleye throughout the province not treated the same??? Read the question before you spout off.
So...let me get this straight. You say that you, your wife and your kids had to apply for 5 years straight before you got drawn for walleye tags (?). So, suddenly last spring you end up with 11 walleye tags. Then you decide to wait for 7-8 months to use them so you can avoid buying a license for your wife and your buddy can do the same, just pile the wife, kids , dogs etc in the vehicle and head out on the free fishing weekend to fill a couple buckets with walleye. Then your wife finds out that she has to buy a license to be able to buy "her" tags and she decides she doesn't want to do that...so everybody cancels the family day festivities? Sorry...your tale sounds like sour grapes over your plan that didn't go as you had hoped. The whole idea behind the free fishing weekend is to get people involved in the sport...most newbies don't really care what species of fish they catch, it's more about the overall experience....for most people.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
They won’t sell you the tags without a angling lisence being purchased first.
Didn't know that thanks for the info....so why didn't the OP and his wife etc just go slam the eyes?
Licence and tags in hand?
Sounds like a great possible shore lunch

Old 03-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So...let me get this straight. You say that you, your wife and your kids had to apply for 5 years straight before you got drawn for walleye tags (?). So, suddenly last spring you end up with 11 walleye tags. Then you decide to wait for 7-8 months to use them so you can avoid buying a license for your wife and your buddy can do the same, just pile the wife, kids , dogs etc in the vehicle and head out on the free fishing weekend to fill a couple buckets with walleye. Then your wife finds out that she has to buy a license to be able to buy "her" tags and she decides she doesn't want to do that...so everybody cancels the family day festivities? Sorry...your tale sounds like sour grapes over your plan that didn't go as you had hoped. The whole idea behind the free fishing weekend is to get people involved in the sport...most newbies don't really care what species of fish they catch, it's more about the overall experience....for most people.
Yup, makes about as much sense as putting in for a moose draw for 5 years, finally getting drawn, waiting until the last week for 'free hunting day' so you don't have to buy a license. Don't make much sense to me.

Also only your wife can keep the walleye, the person with a draw is the only one who can keep a walleye. If you or the kids caught and kept a walleye and put the wife's tag on it you could get charged. More than a few people have been charged on Pigeon lake for doing that. I know a fella who took his daughter fishing there last summer, she had the tags, he trolled around for a couple hours, caught the fish, while she read a book. When he went to take the boat out the wardens who had been watching with binoculars were waiting to check their licences and tags and he got charged with illegal possession of walleye. It's no different in the eyes of the law than shooting a game animal and putting someone else's tag on it, it's a big no no. Your kids wouldn't legally have been able to keep any walleye they might have caught on 'free fishing day' anyway.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Default walleye fishing

there is no reason why you and your family could not have gone fishing on pigeon ,and enjoyed a day of fishing for walleye without a licence .You would just have to release all the fish you are not entitled to keep. Just like the rest of of us.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yup, makes about as much sense as putting in for a moose draw for 5 years, finally getting drawn, waiting until the last week for 'free hunting day' so you don't have to buy a license. Don't make much sense to me.

Also only your wife can keep the walleye, the person with a draw is the only one who can keep a walleye. If you or the kids caught and kept a walleye and put the wife's tag on it you could get charged. More than a few people have been charged on Pigeon lake for doing that. I know a fella who took his daughter fishing there last summer, she had the tags, he trolled around for a couple hours, caught the fish, while she read a book. When he went to take the boat out the wardens who had been watching with binoculars were waiting to check their licences and tags and he got charged with illegal possession of walleye. It's no different in the eyes of the law than shooting a game animal and putting someone else's tag on it, it's a big no no. Your kids wouldn't legally have been able to keep any walleye they might have caught on 'free fishing day' anyway.
If the kids caught them of course they would have been able to put their tags on and keep them.

I agree with the OP that there does seem to be some hypocrisy here. I really can't see the problem with a person who has applied for and paid for their tags harvesting the fish on a licence free day. The Fish need to be taken out of the lake for it to be healthy (The Bio's say they want the tags filled). It's not like extra walleye beyond what the tags limits permit would be taken out, only those that the Bio's already said would be beneficial to the lake. The only real down side is for the US computer company loosing 8 bucks because they could not sell a licence on top of the 8 bucks they got for the tags.

I do not know what the OP's financial situation is but it sure sounds like the wife was looking for any excuse not to go ice fishing and that's unfortunate because I sure it would have been a great family outing with a nice fish fry after to top it all off. (This could have possibly lead to kids taking up fishing and the outdoors in the future which in turns gives fishermen more political clout so we may have all lost out a bit here as well)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
If the kids caught them of course they would have been able to put their tags on and keep them.

I agree with the OP that there does seem to be some hypocrisy here. I really can't see the problem with a person who has applied for and paid for their tags harvesting the fish on a licence free day. The Fish need to be taken out of the lake for it to be healthy (The Bio's say they want the tags filled). It's not like extra walleye beyond what the tags limits permit would be taken out, only those that the Bio's already said would be beneficial to the lake. The only real down side is for the US computer company loosing 8 bucks because they could not sell a licence on top of the 8 bucks they got for the tags.

I do not know what the OP's financial situation is but it sure sounds like the wife was looking for any excuse not to go ice fishing and that's unfortunate because I sure it would have been a great family outing with a nice fish fry after to top it all off. (This could have possibly lead to kids taking up fishing and the outdoors in the future which in turns gives fishermen more political clout so we may have all lost out a bit here as well)
This.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Whatever the OP's questionable motives were for waiting until a "free fishing day" to purchase walleye tags (which are not free btw),,,, the OP does have a point about connecting the tag purchase to a licence purchase, yet people can still apply for the tag with just a valid WIN card.

Similar "conflicts" arise in the hunting draws where tags are drawn and allotted but the licence is never purchased and the tag is never used.

Our current draw system for hunting and fishing tags encourages draw applications with reasonably inexpensive application fees, but does nothing to ensure that those tags / licences are actually purchased once the tag has been allocated.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 AM

The free fishing weekend is not intended for people who already enjoy sport fishing.

Straight from the regs.....
"FREE Fishing Weekends July 8-9, 2017 & February 17-19, 2018
To encourage folks to give fishing a try, any person may fish without an Alberta Sportfishing Licence on these dates but they must follow all other rules and regulations as outlined in this guide. "
Old 03-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
People on here are Pi$$*%@ me off. Op is making a valid point. I have a daughter who loves fishing but is only able to get out about once a year. She has drawn walleye tags every second year and hasn't been able to use them even when she was not required to buy a license. So she is now old enough to be required to buy a license for the first time and we figured we would go fishing on the family day weekend to enjoy some family time. Oh wait, just remembered you were drawn for walleye tags so let's buy them. Couldn't buy the tags without her buying the fishing license, so no tags and the principal of the matter upset her so she did not go. It wasn't about filling tags or making a haul but the opportunity of catching a fish and actually being able to keep it and feel the pride in providing that fish for a meal. No more tags for her until she finishes school and has some time to go and actually buy a fishing license.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:01 AM

Geez, a fishing licence is just under $30.00, about 8 cents a day. Pretty darn cheap entertainment! Not sure what a case of beer is these days, or a movie and trimmins. Even if going for one day its still cheaper than a round of golf.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
The free fishing weekend is not intended for people who already enjoy sport fishing.

Straight from the regs.....
"FREE Fishing Weekends July 8-9, 2017 & February 17-19, 2018
To encourage folks to give fishing a try, any person may fish without an Alberta Sportfishing Licence on these dates but they must follow all other rules and regulations as outlined in this guide. "
Thanks. Not much to argue when it is there in writing.

So back to the Op and to others like ABhunter, don't get upset at other members on here. The regs are the regs. If you don't like them, talk to those that make them. Posting on here and bitching at other members due to regulations you don't personally like is just stirring the pot in my humble opinion.