Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Default Selling a Motorcycle.. test drive?

I'm selling my motorcycle, it's a cruiser type Suzuki Boulevard 2009. The question is when people come to look at it do I let them test drive it? What happens if they hit the ditch or do some other type of damage? Looking for some advice on this.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:37 PM

I just sold my bike, no way would I let someone I don't know ride it, and if I was buying I wouldn't expect a test ride either. Just not worth it to me.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 PM

If I was trying to sell it I would let them look at it and if they think they want it based on a test ride then have cash in hand before they test drive.

It all depends on the person also. New rider just got licence= cash in hand before.

If the person seems like they know their way around a bike, I'd probably let them take it for a spin. After taking a picture of their licence.

If a person is serious about buying the bike I don't think cash in hand would be that big of a deal or maybe half?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 PM

This just made me remember the feeling I had when i bought a crf50f for my son.....do you test ride a little bike like that before buying it?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Handwritten note ? Saying he damages it he pays ??? Or it's on him ? Isn't that why there's insurance ?

I'm very trusting though so would be like here ya go give her a rip ,

prolly why all my scumbag friends have taken advantage of me through the years since age 14 ...... different thread though , lol.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 PM

I'm sure glad I got to test ride one used bike I was looking at. Thing pulled hard to one side like crazy, I think front was out of alignment, bent frame, etc.

I'd want to test ride in most cases. Or a week money back guarantee.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 PM

It's simple. Prospective buyer provides bank draft for agreed to value of bike before being allowed a test drive under the condition that the draft is returned when the bike is returned undamaged. If he/she expects you to trust him/her with the bike then it is reasonable that they trust you with their bank draft.

If they return with a damaged/dropped bike then hand over a bill of sale and close the door.

The only exception I would consider is if the bike was a dirt bike.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 PM

I let someone I knew well test drive a 500 Suzuki I had for sale in late 60's or early 70's. He hit some gravel and wiped out about 40' of picket fence. The next time I seen the bike was at the police station, write off. Can't remember what i got out of it except the guy gave me a Bruno 30-06 and I think about $400.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM

I can tell you for sure I would never by a used vehicle or a used motorcycle without test driving it and if it passes the test drive then having it run through a detailed mechanical review. If you think I am going to lay cash in your hand prior to the test drive I would just walk. You are welcome to the back seat or to follow in a car if you are that worried.

No different than letting someone test drive a car, it is why you have insurance. The exception to this is if the driver is under 25, then the insurance issues get a little more ticklish. You will want to check with your insurance to see if that situation is covered by your insurance.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 PM

Default Motorcycles

Test drives in parking lots are how i have handled both buying and selling. Get to run through gears and get a feel for the bike or give the buyer a taste of how it handles.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:36 PM

Bought and sold numerous bikes.

Never test drove them nor allowed someone to test drive mine
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Not sure why a bike would be any different than selling/buying a used car. I know I wouldn't buy a used vehicle without driving it first and there is no way I'd give the seller a cheque prior to driving it. Just switch the situation around, would you buy a used bike without a test drive?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 AM

I sold a bike one time with a condition. The buyer had a warrenty of 15 minutes. If for any reason he wasn't happy i would refund his money if he was back in 15 minutes. He was happy with that and i trusted the bike so t got sold
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 AM

Your comfort level and gut feeling. I’ve had guys look really uncomfortable sitting on my bikes (a little wobbly and just not sure what to touch. It’s kind of hard to explain now that I’m typing lol) Then ask to test drive and I’ve said no. Pretty much all understood. Only one I remember gave me the snarky well I won’t buy a bike I can’t ride. Sale didn’t happen.
I’ve also sold bikes that I let buyers take around the block.
Trust your gut. You can’t compare it to a car. It’s pretty hard to drop a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Most will,tire kick, sit I. It and check it out etc, when they think they want to come on by and take it for a test ride to buy I say yup, cash in my hand, test ride, come back and I will sign her over...don't come back, smash it up, well I got your cash....has worked for me over 40 years of buying and selling.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:35 AM

Fire it up. Lift off ground with a stand. Function through the gears. Shut er down. Sell!! Cash only. Help load it up. Go inside house. Drink cold beer.........
Old 03-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Cash in your hand of the amount asking. If they lay it down, you sold it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:40 AM

What Ive always done when I sold a vehicle was, cash in hand as a deposit and completion of bill of sale upon return. Dated photos were taken before the test drive to prove any damage was caused by them. If they don't agree then no test drive unless I go with them. Ive never sold a bike though.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."

Last edited by ghostguy6; 03-21-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 AM

I never sold a bike but as a buyer I've test drove a few bikes. I would never buy a bike without test driving it. Last bike I looked at was immaculate, good start up, gears etc. Was almost sold until i drove it around the neighbourhood and it had a nasty wiggle when accelerating.

Typically helps as a buyer if you show up on a bike. The seller usually has no problem letting you test drive his...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 AM

No to the test drive. A friend had a new bike and had an experienced bike driving friend ask him to try out the bike. He agreed and his friend took the bike for a drive. 10 minutes later he wiped out getting killed and destroying the bike.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-21-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Bought and sold numerous bikes.

Never test drove them nor allowed someone to test drive mine
Ditto
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM

Pretty simple to me if you can't afford to have something happen to it then no test rides if you can feel free to let them ride your choice
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM

So for all you guys that won't allow test drives, how do you work the mechanical inspection. I have eliminated a lot of vehicles from the mechanical inspection phase because they didn't drive right. I would not have wanted to spend a couple of hundred having each of those inspected to find out what a ten minute test drive told me.

So no test drive, you take the Bike to my mechanic for inspection, it fails based on something the test drive would have revealed, are you willing to pay the inspection cost? If your Bike has defects found in the inspection are you willing to pay for the repairs to put it tight, or take the cost off the sale price?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
So for all you guys that won't allow test drives, how do you work the mechanical inspection. I have eliminated a lot of vehicles from the mechanical inspection phase because they didn't drive right. I would not have wanted to spend a couple of hundred having each of those inspected to find out what a ten minute test drive told me.

So no test drive, you take the Bike to my mechanic for inspection, it fails based on something the test drive would have revealed, are you willing to pay the inspection cost? If your Bike has defects found in the inspection are you willing to pay for the repairs to put it tight, or take the cost off the sale price?
Boggles my mind that people would expect a competent buyer to lay out thousands for an item, but not let them try it first if so desired. Heck, I sold a $15 air ratchet the other day and hooked it up to the compressor to show it worked. Saying no test drives would be a major red flag for me and I'd walk away.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Unless it's an obvious tire kicker, scammer, or 16 year old kid my procedure has been cash in hand for the insurance deductible (serious), hold onto their driver's license, and follow behind at a fair distance with my dash-cam running. Same as how I sell any other vehicle. Have sold a few bikes this way and will only scare away the tire kickers anyways which is for the best.

No way I would ever personally buy a vehicle I didn't test out first.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Sketchyy.
Good way to lose out on a few G's
Old 03-21-2018, 03:45 PM

Go to just about any bike dealership in Alberta.
No test rides.
Buy the bike then you can ride it
Or come to there demo day once a year and ride one then.
But you almost never ever get to test ride them.,
Old 03-21-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
Go to just about any bike dealership in Alberta.
No test rides.
Buy the bike then you can ride it
I arranged a test drive for the one I bought last year.
Also new bikes come with a warranty and you know it's never been crashed or abused.

Last edited by Gerald_G; 03-21-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Cash in hand for asking price before they get on and if they break it they bought it.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:16 PM

I have sold at least 10 bikes, never a test ride.
Bought 10 bikes, never test road.
How about a boat? do you get to take it to the lake before you buy?
Not often.
Cars are about the only thing you get to buy with a test drive.
Why would you let someone ride your bike unless you have cash in your hands??
He blows it up, or lays it down and brings it back and what? Said sorry that bike is screwed I don't want it! Or rides away never to be seen again.
Buddy had it happen to him and the cops told him to bad, he lent the bike technically to the guy.