Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Ruger American - good

Savage Axis- not so good
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Thanks for everyone’s feed back, next weekend I’m going to buy something I’ll share a few pics of what I end up with!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

Friends dont let friends buy a 783, bought one, took it back, get the savage if your going with a kit gun, got nothing about the ruger, never owned one.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM

Buy a quality used rifle and used scope that fits your budget. Buying a cheap piece of junk because it’s inexpensive is never a good idea. You’ll have to get an idea of what you want then keep your eyes open. Lucky for you you’ll probably be happy with almost anything. In the past I’ve bought and sold mid 70’s to late 80’s built Remington 700’s in the $500-650 range. Ruger m77’s in the $500-550 range, kimbers in the $800 range, CRF Winchester 70’s for $650-700 and just today I saw a Sako A7 with a leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 for $1200 obo.

If you find a rifle and need a scope just look around for a quality scope that fits your budget. Don’t go spend good money on something that won’t last and will need to be upgraded as soon as you can afford it. For example, tonight I picked up a vx3 2.5-8x36 for $400, quality scope at a good price.

The vanguard keeps coming up in these discussions. About 15 years ago we were moving my rig past Bonnyville and I stopped at the gun store for a look. A new vanguard with a scope in rings was $535 (going price back in the day) and I passed. It was a piece of junk. Savage, Ruger American, 770 or 783 or any budget rifle are all the same. Junk.
You couldn’t give me a tikka but that’s not because they’re no good, I just don’t have any love for them. I would certainly agree with the suggestion to find a tikka if you can stomach the plastic.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Buy a quality used rifle and used scope that fits your budget. Buying a cheap piece of junk because it’s inexpensive is never a good idea. You’ll have to get an idea of what you want then keep your eyes open. Lucky for you you’ll probably be happy with almost anything. In the past I’ve bought and sold mid 70’s to late 80’s built Remington 700’s in the $500-650 range. Ruger m77’s in the $500-550 range, kimbers in the $800 range, CRF Winchester 70’s for $650-700 and just today I saw a Sako A7 with a leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 for $1200 obo.

If you find a rifle and need a scope just look around for a quality scope that fits your budget. Don’t go spend good money on something that won’t last and will need to be upgraded as soon as you can afford it. For example, tonight I picked up a vx3 2.5-8x36 for $400, quality scope at a good price.

The vanguard keeps coming up in these discussions. About 15 years ago we were moving my rig past Bonnyville and I stopped at the gun store for a look. A new vanguard with a scope in rings was $535 (going price back in the day) and I passed. It was a piece of junk. Savage, Ruger American, 770 or 783 or any budget rifle are all the same. Junk.
You couldn’t give me a tikka but that’s not because they’re no good, I just don’t have any love for them. I would certainly agree with the suggestion to find a tikka if you can stomach the plastic.
Are you saying that the Vangaurd S2, that is the model everyone is talking about with the Howa action, is not comparable to the bottom of the line Tikka T3? If so, why?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Are you saying that the Vangaurd S2, that is the model everyone is talking about with the Howa action, is not comparable to the bottom of the line Tikka T3? If so, why?
No I’m not. I haven’t shouldered a tikka since about 2001 or 2002 and it wasn’t a t3 nor was it a synthetic stock. It was a nice “enough” rifle but built before the t3 line. I have no idea the quality of the new t3 as I know I don’t like them and wouldn’t let the thing ride in the front of my truck if I won it by accident in a raffle. The vanguard I played with back in about 2003/4 might not of been an S2 as i don’t keep up with their models. I decided then and there the vanguard was junk and I haven’t held one since. If the t3x and s2 vanguard are comparable I would say they’re both junk and yet a lot of people love the tikka. Now a weatherby mark v is another story...

Are you suggesting budget rifles are as well built as the mid to upper end rifles in a company’s production line? There’s a reason they’re inexpensive. Buying cheap, new and inexpensive doesn’t work for me. I prefer finding used quality at a reasonable price.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Isn’t Sako a tikka pretty well the same rifle, I thought sako makes tikka or am I wrong ?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
No I’m not. I haven’t shouldered a tikka since about 2001 or 2002 and it wasn’t a t3 nor was it a synthetic stock. It was a nice “enough” rifle but built before the t3 line. I have no idea the quality of the new t3 as I know I don’t like them and wouldn’t let the thing ride in the front of my truck if I won it by accident in a raffle. The vanguard I played with back in about 2003/4 might not of been an S2 as i don’t keep up with their models. I decided then and there the vanguard was junk and I haven’t held one since. If the t3x and s2 vanguard are comparable I would say they’re both junk and yet a lot of people love the tikka. Now a weatherby mark v is another story...

Are you suggesting budget rifles are as well built as the mid to upper end rifles in a company’s production line? There’s a reason they’re inexpensive. Buying cheap, new and inexpensive doesn’t work for me. I prefer finding used quality at a reasonable price.
I have owned two Vanguards, two Mark 5s and four T-3s. My Mark V rifles were the least accurate of them all, and the T-3s were the most accurate. Although the Mark V rifles normally cost twice as much, I would have felt just as comfortable carrying the Vanguards or the T-3s while hunting big game.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:

I generaly agree with everything you said, just that I read into what you wrote that you considered the Vangaurd at a lower price point and quality level from low end Tikkas and I think that they are more or less comparable. I just suspected you were not talking about the current S2 model and wanted to clarify. I consider the S2 the upper end of budget guns and lower end of mid range - but I guess those terms are relative.

I love the feel of an A7 and would totally have considered one used if I could have found a good deal when I was ready to buy.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have owned two Vanguards, two Mark 5s and four T-3s. My Mark V rifles were the least accurate of them all, and the T-3s were the most accurate. Although the Mark V rifles normally cost twice as much, I would have felt just as comfortable carrying the Vanguards or the T-3s while hunting big game.
I’ve been on here long enough to know you’ve got nothing against the tikka.

I’ve never owned and will probably never own a weatherby. They don’t do it for me with the expedition of the older MXll .22 but unfortunately they’re not known for their accuracy and I’ve already got the most accurate .22 I’ve seen. The point of me bringing the mark V up was they’re far more refined then the howa built vanguard. Most companies have a budget line and their flagship line and the two are not the same quality. Accuracy, well that’s hit or miss with any rifle but usually the more you spend the more you expect. There is a lot more to owning a rifle then accuracy alone (I know without accuracy I won’t be owning any specific rifle) and I expect a lot more refinement in what I’m willing to pack in the bush then anything a budget line will offer.

Panties are knotted and guys are feeling insecure, I get it. Moral of my story (opinion?). Buy quality the first time. If you have a budget you’ll get more for your money on the used market then you will new. Get an idea of what you want and wait for the right deal.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM

I agree with those who don't like the entry level priced rifles. A few years back, I borrowed a savage axis in 7mm08 for a moose hunt as I gave my rifle away and my new one on order was taking it's time. In the end, my new rifle arrived in time but the experience of sitting I the savage left me with a bad impression even though it was very accurate. Cycling the bolt was rough.
There are higher quality rifles at a good price. Tradex has Zastava's that have a good reputation. Marstar has Sabatti for 30% off. I have bought from both of these places and have been treated well. I do agree with the advice to stay away from the magnums, a 308 win does most everything you need in Alberta.
Good luck and post what you get.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohemmaway View Post
Isn’t Sako a tikka pretty well the same rifle, I thought sako makes tikka or am I wrong ?
Sure. The same way Honda and Acura are the same, Toyota and Lexus are the same and chev and Cadillac are the same. Same same only different.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I’ve been on here long enough to know you’ve got nothing against the tikka.

I’ve never owned and will probably never own a weatherby. They don’t do it for me with the expedition of the older MXll .22 but unfortunately they’re not known for their accuracy and I’ve already got the most accurate .22 I’ve seen. The point of me bringing the mark V up was they’re far more refined then the howa built vanguard. Most companies have a budget line and their flagship line and the two are not the same quality. Accuracy, well that’s hit or miss with any rifle but usually the more you spend the more you expect. There is a lot more to owning a rifle then accuracy alone (I know without accuracy I won’t be owning any specific rifle) and I expect a lot more refinement in what I’m willing to pack in the bush then anything a budget line will offer.

Panties are knotted and guys are feeling insecure, I get it. Moral of my story (opinion?). Buy quality the first time. If you have a budget you’ll get more for your money on the used market then you will new. Get an idea of what you want and wait for the right deal.
More money does not always mean more quality, it can also mean more expensive to produce, or it can mean paying a huge surcharge for a certain model that supposedly brings more prestige. Yes used rifles can be a much better value, but a person that has never owned a rifle likely doesn't know what to look out for in used rifles. He could get a great deal, but he could just as easily end up with someone else's problem.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
More money does not always mean more quality, it can also mean more expensive to produce, or it can mean paying a huge surcharge for a certain model that supposedly brings more prestige. Yes used rifles can be a much better value, but a person that has never owned a rifle likely doesn't know what to look out for in used rifles. He could get a great deal, but he could just as easily end up with someone else's problem.
Are you talking in circles because you can’t formulate an opinionated rebuttal or for some other reason? The hurt feelings comment had nothing to do with you so don’t feel obligated to respond to that part of the post. Most of what you said I’m not willing to engage the way you laid it out but I will comment on the bit about buying someone else’s problem.
Always a possibility but pretty unlikely. Especially if it’s bought off someone on here or gunnutz from someone who’s got enough feedback to prove they don’t screw people over. I would suggest a newbie could happily buy a new build model 70 and have a better rifle then a budget level savage. The last model 70 I got was one of the baco built CRF rifles. All up with a set of dies and about 200 pieces of once fired brass cost me less then $500 and it was a beautiful rifle. Just to heavy for me to want to pack around so it got sold. There are plenty of good deals going around if a guy looks.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 PM

The WBY Vanguards are very nice rifles. Nothing wrong with them at all. Aftermarket stocks and triggers are readily available. They're one of the best deals out there, IMO.

I handled a Tikka lite probably ten years ago, and found it to be a horrible fit for me. Guys seem to love them though.

Anyway, this thread went off the rails as usual. Many guys started out with an inexpensive rifle and the inexpensive rifles today all shoot.

Like I said, I bought a 22-250 Axis years ago for a couple hundred bucks, just because. It sat unused for many years until I put it in a Boyds stock and put a Rifle Basix trigger in it. The thing's a laser beam.

*Hell, I started out many years ago with an old Enfield .303 with a Weaver K4, and I probably killed more game with that rifle than all the rifles I have now combined.*
Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Are you talking in circles because you can’t formulate an opinionated rebuttal or for some other reason? The hurt feelings comment had nothing to do with you so don’t feel obligated to respond to that part of the post. Most of what you said I’m not willing to engage the way you laid it out but I will comment on the bit about buying someone else’s problem.
Always a possibility but pretty unlikely. Especially if it’s bought off someone on here or gunnutz from someone who’s got enough feedback to prove they don’t screw people over. I would suggest a newbie could happily buy a new build model 70 and have a better rifle then a budget level savage. The last model 70 I got was one of the baco built CRF rifles. All up with a set of dies and about 200 pieces of once fired brass cost me less then $500 and it was a beautiful rifle. Just to heavy for me to want to pack around so it got sold. There are plenty of good deals going around if a guy looks.
I am not talking in circles, look at how a Mark V is constructed, and how many are produced and it's not hard to understand why it costs more to produce. As well, since some people consider it to be a prestigious model, they can charge more for it. As for used rifles being someone else's problem, often when a particular rifle produces sub standard accuracy, the owner simply sells it . It doesn't mean that the rifle isn't safe to use, but it may simply be a lemon accuracy wise. Or the crown gets dinged, and accuracy is gone. Or the barrel gets badly fouled, and the owner can't get it clean with Hoppes #9, so they sell it. And then there are rifles that people tried to bed or adjust the trigger, and things didn't go so well, so they sold the rifle. I have come across several used rifles with issues , some that were easily fixed, some weren't, but most issues are easy to see of a person knows what to look for. But a new shooter isn't likely going to know what to look for.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I am not talking in circles, look at how a Mark V is constructed, and how many are produced and it's not hard to understand why it costs more to produce. As well, since some people consider it to be a prestigious model, they can charge more for it. As for used rifles being someone else's problem, often when a particular rifle produces sub standard accuracy, the owner simply sells it . It doesn't mean that the rifle isn't safe to use, but it may simply be a lemon accuracy wise. Or the crown gets dinged, and accuracy is gone. Or the barrel gets badly fouled, and the owner can't get it clean with Hoppes #9, so they sell it. And then there are rifles that people tried to bed or adjust the trigger, and things didn't go so well, so they sold the rifle. I have come across several used rifles with issues , some that were easily fixed, some weren't, but most issues are easy to see of a person knows what to look for. But a new shooter isn't likely going to know what to look for.
Exactly right. A new shooter came here to ask about his first rifle and this thread flies off the rails. Not helpful to the young fella at all.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
How about you offer to take this young fellow under your wing and help him find a good used gun, and scope, and mounts, for what he wants to spend?

Last edited by score; 02-18-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by score View Post
Exactly right. A new shooter came here to ask about his first rifle and this thread flies off the rails. Not helpful to the young fella at all.
That's life you gotta filter through the crap to find a turd you like......he/she will figure it out.....myself I wouldn't buy cheap brand new I would settle for well cared for older rifle, scope combination.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That's life you gotta filter through the crap to find a turd you like......he/she will figure it out.....myself I wouldn't buy cheap brand new I would settle for well cared for older rifle, scope combination.
Maybe you or I feel confident enough to buy and sell used guns. I suspect this guy doesn't or he wouldn't have started this thread. You and the other guy here don't seem to get how hard that would be for a person who knows nothing about rifles.
When a guy asks which caliber to buy, you know he's starting from scratch.
Scopes too would be very complicated for that person. Bases and rings....

Sure he'll learn and figure it out over time, but for now he wants to buy a gun and go hunting with some buddies.
He may find something good or not used, but he doesn't need that hassle.

There's nothing wrong with buying a new inexpensive factory rifle today. With today's technology and production methods they all shoot good. He can get into the game with a brand new shiny set up for well under a grand and be proud of his first gun.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
How about you offer to take this young fellow under your wing and help him find a good used gun, and scope, and mounts, for what he wants to spend?
I’ll assume I touched a “personal” nerve because it’s the only logical explanation for your illogical reaction to my perspective. We had a thread with 30+ replies all regurgitating the same opinion. It was a love affair for every entry level rifle built where each participant “recommended” their favorite budget model. That’s one version of “helpful” for a new guy. I’ll give him the other side of the coin because it needs to be presented as the other “viable” option. What he chooses to do with it is up to him.
It’s far from a thread derailment when all options are tabled, it becomes a healthy discussion. Maybe the terminology was harsh when I refer to them as “junk” because that’s dependent on how we are defining “junk” and what it is about an entry level rifle that’s less desirable then any other rifle. Imo (this is the part you had to filter) I’ve got zero love for unrefined, poorly made items in my life. From hunting gear to vehicles to the house I’m sitting in I prefer high end quality in everything I buy. Not always the most expensive but an amalgamation of contributing attributes that I weigh and determine an overall value. I’m very opinionated over what I’ll spend my money on and it flows into my discussion of items on here. I’m also aware lots of people couldn’t tell or wouldn’t care about the difference in quality between a Kia and a Lexus or a savage and a Holland & Holland.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:09 AM

I most definitely don’t feel comfortable buying used as I’m just learning and all that fun stuff, I have a idea on what I want just not sure on caliber, leaning more towards a .30-06 but then a lot of guys say for deer and elk hunting in Alberta .308.. I’m sure I’ll tackle a moose one day aswell!

An for rifles, I’ll be in that 600-1000 mark would rather as well spend the extra money an get a decent scope as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I most definitely don’t feel comfortable buying used as I’m just learning and all that fun stuff, I have a idea on what I want just not sure on caliber, leaning more towards a .30-06 but then a lot of guys say for deer and elk hunting in Alberta .308.. I’m sure I’ll tackle a moose one day aswell!

An for rifles, I’ll be in that 600-1000 mark would rather as well spend the extra money an get a decent scope as well.
Either a 308win, or a 30-06 will work fine for any legal big game animal in Alberta. So will most cartridges using bullets in the .264" to .308" range.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
All true. See how much easier it is to discuss when a person lays out their opinion clearly? Still nothing that would scare me into recommending a new starter to buy a entry level new.
I’ve bought and sold 150+ rifles and come across two issues. One was a rifle I didn’t shoot, I bought the package for the scope and sold the rifle. The new owner told me it didn’t shoot very well and he sent it in for warranty work, they fixed his problem. There were no obvious problems with the rifle when I had it and it looked new so one would assume Ruger had put out a dud.
The second problem was a bent firing pin, one call to Korth and I had a new firing pin within the month that took me about 15 min to replace. I got that rifle off of this site and the previous owner almost certainly knew it failed to fire occasionally but he didn’t say anything and I never spoke to him about it.
Sure, I know what to look for and can typically filter the problems before I spend money on them but I don’t see many rifles that have any obvious problems. I can’t remember the last time I looked at something I was interested in and thought it had a problem. I’m sure it’s happened to me but it’s a very infrequent occurrence. We both know a new rifle can have its own problems. Sure it’ll have warranty but they’re capable of having issues too. Not much in life isn’t a gamble.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I’ll assume I touched a “personal” nerve because it’s the only logical explanation for your illogical reaction to my perspective. We had a thread with 30+ replies all regurgitating the same opinion. It was a love affair for every entry level rifle built where each participant “recommended” their favorite budget model. That’s one version of “helpful” for a new guy. I’ll give him the other side of the coin because it needs to be presented as the other “viable” option. What he chooses to do with it is up to him.
It’s far from a thread derailment when all options are tabled, it becomes a healthy discussion. Maybe the terminology was harsh when I refer to them as “junk” because that’s dependent on how we are defining “junk” and what it is about an entry level rifle that’s less desirable then any other rifle. Imo (this is the part you had to filter) I’ve got zero love for unrefined, poorly made items in my life. From hunting gear to vehicles to the house I’m sitting in I prefer high end quality in everything I buy. Not always the most expensive but an amalgamation of contributing attributes that I weigh and determine an overall value. I’m very opinionated over what I’ll spend my money on and it flows into my discussion of items on here. I’m also aware lots of people couldn’t tell or wouldn’t care about the difference in quality between a Kia and a Lexus or a savage and a Holland & Holland.
No "personal nerve" here. And all the power to you how you decide to live in any and all aspects of your life. Seriously, I admire your ability to have put yourself into a position in your life to be able to afford "high end" things. No envy here. I have and value some nice things as well.

But whether your intent is to be condescending or not, it comes off that way. Seems like you'd rather tell the guy everything you know about guns instead of simply helping him get into his first hunting rifle.
Maybe it's just me and how I read your comments....

I highly doubt though, that he, and I'm assuming he's a young fella, is going to be getting himself into an H&H or drive over to pick it up in his Land Rover.

It's OK for him to buy an Axis or whatever, and be proud of his first gun. A beginner knows very little and this fella is "asking". What you offered isn't helpful, IMO. To me, your comments indicate that you can't put yourself in his shoes.
Not helpful. But maybe you could offer to help him out and share your knowledge with him, more so than a few paragraphs here.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Like I said before, you don't need the recoil of the 30.06. A .308 or a .270 is good and there is lots of ammo available which isn't expensive.

You can definitely get yourself a nice hunting rifle with a decent mounted scope for $1000, or even less.
There have been some good suggestions here.
Good luck.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Bashaw sports also has a stainless Savage 16 rifle with Bushnell elite scope package that looks like it would fit into your $1000 budget if it fits you well. My advice is to go into a place such as Bashaw sports, tell them your budget and shoulder every rifle they put in front of you to see what feels the best. Hard to you buy on brand name or price as we all aren’t built the same. They are all going to shoot well enough for hunting as long as you practice with it.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:

P and D Enterprises has a good deal on Nikon scopes right now. A Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 is a very good scope...$365.00. There are some Nikon Prostaffs which are plenty fine scopes for less.
Pick up a rifle there for $400-500.
Buy some scope mounting hardware and they will mount the scope so it fits you for free.
You'll be in business.
And if you need it, they will allow you to pay monthly for your set up.
Good luck.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No "personal nerve" here. And all the power to you how you decide to live in any and all aspects of your life. Seriously, I admire your ability to have put yourself into a position in your life to be able to afford "high end" things. No envy here. I have and value some nice things as well.

But whether your intent is to be condescending or not, it comes off that way. Seems like you'd rather tell the guy everything you know about guns instead of simply helping him get into his first hunting rifle.
Maybe it's just me and how I read your comments....

I highly doubt though, that he, and I'm assuming he's a young fella, is going to be getting himself into an H&H or drive over to pick it up in his Land Rover.

It's OK for him to buy an Axis or whatever, and be proud of his first gun. A beginner knows very little and this fella is "asking". What you offered isn't helpful, IMO. To me, your comments indicate that you can't put yourself in his shoes.
Not helpful. But maybe you could offer to help him out and share your knowledge with him, more so than a few paragraphs here.
Now I’m contributing to a derail but I’ll say it anyway.

Go back and read first two paragraphs of my original post on this subject. However you chose to interpret them is on you. What I said and then attempted to validate with my own personal experience is “buy something of quality that fits your budget”. If you can’t see any value in that opinion I don’t know what to say.
I never once said he shouldn’t buy whatever he wants and be proud of it. That is again your interpretation and misrepresentation of what I wrote. I’m not interested in a bit of back and forth with you on this because it’s not within the intention of the OP’s thread so I’ll leave it there. You can have the last word if you need it.
I’m 4 hours drive from the OP, why would I have any obligation to help him find his first rifle? Just because I gave him a condensed version of my experience and subsequent opinion? If he or someone else felt the urge to pm me and ask for some advice or help I would (and have before) but that’s got nothing to do with you.

OP,

You’ve stated your well on your way to choosing a rifle. As for caliber your on the right track. Anything between a 7mm-08 and 30-06 should serve you well. I would probably steer you toward the smaller end of that scale because we don’t know how you tolerate recoil and to much recoil is a sure way to impede your education/progression.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
P and D Enterprises has a good deal on Nikon scopes right now. A Monarch 3 2.5-10x42 is a very good scope...$365.00. There are some Nikon Prostaffs which are plenty fine scopes for less.
Pick up a rifle there for $400-500.
Buy some scope mounting hardware and they will mount the scope so it fits you for free.
You'll be in business.
And if you need it, they will allow you to pay monthly for your set up.
Good luck.
Thanks man greatly appreciate it!