Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 05:24 AM

Default Cabin Cruisers, floating cottages...

Cold mornings like this makes me dream of summer.

I grew up water skiining and spending time on the water. My grandparents have a cottage back in Ontario and I spent time there as a kid, as well as my cousins cottage on lake Muskoka.
I love to fish and just enjoy being on the water.
Bought a 17’ runabout a couple years ago, have enjoyed lots of fishing and some water sports. I’m finding though that as we close in on 40, the friends don’t want to water ski and that kind of thing as much now.
I also live in SK now with close proximity to Lake Diefenbaker and really enjoy the body of water. I have toyed with the idea of getting a fifth wheel or something to stay at the lake while I boat and fish but now I’m considering buying an older cabin cruiser and spend my free time and evenings aboard.
I’d love to hear some pros and cons and experience with this lifestyle.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 AM

Talking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O0nzkESTI
Old 01-30-2019, 05:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Was hunting the south Saskatchewan river breaks, one fall I heard an out board motor putting along the river and watch it pull into an area that was sandy so I went down to chat....the ol'fellas and his girt were on the third month of cruising around etc...older pontoon boat completely refurbished hillbilly style but very practical....fish, sleep, eat pull up and hang out, go for a dip etc I laughed at it then but now I see the practicality to this and how they evolved into this stage.
Just an idea as there are lots of pontoon boats sitting in yards that would go for a cheap price or free for you to build a fine vessel!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Check out "Pacific Boat Brokers" for some pretty cool live aboards .
Old 01-30-2019, 10:48 AM

The problem with Lake Diefenbaker is the wind and waves, a long vessel catches powerful waves that can throw a large boat on the rocks very quickly . The storms that come up at night on the prairies can be swift and powerful I've seen a few houseboats destroyed on the beach along the lake.
When I was working 5 days a week I only used my boat 2 weekends one summer 16 foot boat in 3-4 ft. waves is no fun.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Diefenbaker definitely can get rough, and it can change very very quickly. We had an awfully rough ride from Coteau bay down to Riverhurst this summer. 5’ whitecaps soaking you over the windshield of a 17’ ski boat is not much fun. My lady friend was losing her nerve and was crying and very upset, I ended up beaching it in a bay on the Lee side and took refuge on a houseboat doing the same thing.
Thankful for the kindness of strangers.

If I was to go with a boat like this I would be looking for a seasonal slip in one of the marinas and would likely stay in the marina most nights.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Check out "Pacific Boat Brokers" for some pretty cool live aboards .
Those are some neat boats for sure but I'm thinking something more like 25'-30' maximum in a sport cruiser type boat.

I'd also rather something that hasn't seen salt water. Years ago my parents bought a boat originally from Florida and we constantly fought manifold and water jacket issues from the corrosion salt water had caused.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM

I'd say, if the plan is to park the fifth wheel on dry land and use the boat for fishing and being on the water, it's the way to go. In rough weather a smaller vessel is easier to beach and secure (or put up on a lift) and you can enjoy camping on dry land with all the comforts of home, along with a nice camp fire. A little cabin is better yet.

If you plan on moving around (from lake to lake) a fifth wheel AND a boat in tow doesn't work well and it's not legal in many jurisdictions I think. It's also not very practical if you have to use 2 tow vehicles, or make 2 trips either.

The idea of a larger vessel is great, but you need to consider weather, the constant pitching 24/7 and the winterising/storage/dry docking situation. Also shore power, fuel costs, and accessibility to shallower parts of the lake.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:30 PM

I've always liked the idea of having a smaller tow-able houseboat. Can use it like a trailer in a campground or float it on a lake for a few days. All supplies and valuables are always with you.I have seen some advertised stateside but are expensive and rare in Canada. Was going to build one but have too many competing hobbies. Could have made use of one on the Arrow and Shushwap lakes many times.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Have one. Wife and I LOVE it!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Banned

After spending a week on the ocean on a 32’ bayliner cabin cruiser I’m convinced I’ll buy one of those before another travel trailer.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:59 PM

About 30 years ago it was popular at Last mountain lake to use apple juice barrels for flotation on barges, the deck was 8x20 with 4' flip down sides for a 16x20' deck and retractable wheels for towing they were pushed by 20 hp outboard. Sometimes they would put two or three together and float down to the stone barn, some had a cabin in the middle for sleeping, eating and pooping legal for alcohol.

Barge parties good times!
Old 01-30-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post

What kind of a setup do you guys have Sheepcrazyguy?

How often do you use it? How long do you stay on board?

Do you keep it in a permanent slip or do you trailer to the lake?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 PM

We have a 26 ft. We always get a beach front spot and no reservations required.
Prairie thunder/lighting storms at night when at anchor take some getting used to.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
We have a 26 ft. We always get a beach front spot and no reservations required.
Prairie thunder/lighting storms at night when at anchor take some getting used to.

What lake are you typically on?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
What kind of a setup do you guys have Sheepcrazyguy?

How often do you use it? How long do you stay on board?

Do you keep it in a permanent slip or do you trailer to the lake?
1999 Bayliner Cierra. 26 ft with 8.5 beam. 30ft oal. 5.7 mercruiser with a Bravo 3 leg. Aft cabin with a queen size bed. Shower, toilet, hot water put a propane cooktop in did away with the alcohol stove. Camper top. We trailer it most places. We are members at the yacht club at Williston Lake near Hudson’s hope. Take it every year to QCI. If you go into BC with a wider boat you need to permit it. I pull mine with my old 2002 GMC 2500 6.0 litre If you want to talk pm me and I’ll send you my cell number. We quite often stay onboard 4 days without touching land. On the ocean you usually run out of fresh water by then with showering etc

Last edited by Sheepcrazyguy; 01-31-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Pic's

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM

Not many pictures of the boat itself and I’m away working right now
Sorry for the sideways pictures
Old 01-31-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
What lake are you typically on?
I've had our 24 ft on
Calling, Pigeon, Wab,
Our 26 ft so far only on Wab and the west coast. I'm sure I can launch any where a wake board boat can launch.
Did I mention tornado warnings at night while at anchor lol