Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Monocular?

Wife wants to get a Monocular for travel and when watching hockey games. I have done a little research and have came up with a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10X42 or a Vortex Solo 10X36. Anyone used these 2 models? Is there something else I should be looking at? Where in Calgary would have these in stock so a person can have a look at and threw them?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM

I have the solo. It was fantastic for 8 years then started to get cloudy. Vortex replaced them last summer. New ones are good so far
Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Banned

Have one of these https://www.amazon.ca/Minox-Minoscop...inox+monocular
Very good optics but mainly like the fact that it is a roof prism design, making it very compact.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM

I would be skeptical about how good it would be for watching hockey. The field of view would be very narrow so you wouldn't get the whole picture. If you wanted it for the opera for example it would be good because you could get a closeup of the fat lady but in a sports game you normally want the activity around the subject as well as the subject.

I would suggest even a cheap pair of small binoculars with a lower magnification and wider field of view.
Mind you... if you are up in the nose bleeds then maybe you do need the higher mag ;o)

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM

I bought my wife the Vortex SOLO 10x36 for viewing outdoors. She thought I bought them for myself lol. She uses time (I don't) and thinks they are great (they are). As for a hockey game or any sport on a field/arena, it would be hard to actually "see the game" with blinders on. It would be difficult to focus in on a singular play and while doing that missing out on stuff happening outside the field of view of binos or monos. Suggestion...………….get better seats at the game lol. But having the Vortex SOLO in her bag when travelling is a bonus...…………...not being heavy and large as binos.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 PM

Not that any of you know my wife is legally blind hence the monocular. Lots of better options out there for watching hockey I know that. I also know that you better value your eye sight while you still have it.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Default scopes

So...I took a broken 8X50 binocular and cut it in half. It works.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 PM

Used the vortex monocular awhile ago of a firends who said he was looking at an elk. Through my vortex binos i was sure they were deer. I was wrong. Binos going back to vortex after season is over. gonna look into these more myself.