Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM

Default Great article by Daniel Smith

Here is a cut and paste of it from Edmonton Journal.
I thought it is excellent!
Effective immediately, I have vowed to double my beef consumption and I’m doing it to save the planet.

It seems curious timing, doesn’t it, that the week that the British medical journal The Lancet came out with the recommendation to reduce our beef consumption by 90 per cent, that the new Canada Food Guide would mirror the recommendations by saying we need to reduce our consumption of red meat and sugar. Really? Are we to believe that eating meat is as bad for you as eating Halloween candy?

Having watched the environmental movement for a long time, I don’t believe in coincidences. Researcher Vivian Krause discovered a co-ordinated attack on our farmed fish industry funded by U.S. interests funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. She then exposed a co-ordinated attack on our Alberta oil industry funded by U.S. foundations funnelling money to Canadian environmental groups. I want to know who is funding this attack on our beef industry. Whoever it is, the industry needs to fight back.

Not only do I think these “expert” recommendations are dangerous to our health, I also think the loss of our cattle industry would be devastating to our environment.

First, I have a vegan brother so I know that getting the full complement of amino acids from plant proteins takes some work. There are nine amino acids that the body can’t produce itself. To be considered a complete protein, the food has to have all of them. Meat, eggs and dairy are all complete proteins. My brother eats a lot of hemp seeds, quinoa and soy which are also complete proteins. Beans and peas aren’t; they have to be combined with rice to get all you need. If people simply reduce their consumption of meat, without knowing how to get enough whole plant proteins, they aren’t going to be healthier. They are going to get sick.

Second, I also happened to be at a conference of grassland management experts for two days this week, moderating the annual conference of the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen. These are the folks who ensure Alberta remains rat free and noxious weed free. They know more than anyone about managing rangelands for biodiversity, wetlands and soil health.

One of the experts who spoke at the AAAF conference was Yamily Zavala, who is a crop and soil nutrient management expert with the Chinook Applied Research Association, which incidentally doesn’t get government funding. I suppose if she were working on computer models predicting catastrophe rather than doing applied research on carbon sequestration, it would probably be a different story.

In any case, her research has found a symbiotic relationship between planting a complementary variety of plant species, bacteria and fungi, which work together to sequester carbon in the soil through a number of complex biological and chemical processes. New research from the University of California also recently concluded that grasslands are an even better and more resilient carbon storage option than trees.

AAAF passed a resolution to request that Alberta Agriculture and Forestry develop a process to allow farmers and landowners to access carbon credits for land used for permanent pasture, perennial forage or land that is left forested. They presented research that these lands can sequester as much as nine tonnes of carbon per acre. If producers were paid the going rate of $30 a tonne for their sequestration efforts, that would be $270 an acre. On a 1,000-acre ranch, that would amount to $270,000.

Related

Tyler Dawson: Don’t shame me for eating alone, Canada Food Guide!
Food Guide out of touch with Canadians, 'unfairly vilifies' processed foods, industry groups say
Farm groups have mixed reaction to food guide that demotes milk, highlights plants
If our food producers are capturing and permanently storing this much carbon, then they darn well should be getting paid for it.

I shudder to think what would happen if, at the next UN meeting in Paris or Marrakech or Katowice, our federal government bends to the will of environmental zealots and signs a new protocol to reduce our cattle herds to 90 per cent below 2005 levels by 2050.

Imagine what would happen if we did that. What would become of those carefully managed grasslands? They would very quickly become an overgrown fire hazard, and we’d end up with out-of-control grassland fires burning all over the prairies, releasing carbon dioxide as they incinerated.

Let’s just stop this insanity right now. If you care about your health and the planet, you should eat more beef.

Danielle Smith can be reached at danielle@770chqr.com
Old 01-25-2019, 01:37 PM

I was watching one of the govt experts on the tube and she was saying one of the reason we have to change our eating habits is because we have so many new Canadians now living in Canada who do not have the same eating habits as us.
So guess what? We have to change not them.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I was watching one of the govt experts on the tube and she was saying one of the reason we have to change our eating habits is because we have so many new Canadians now living in Canada who do not have the same eating habits as us.
So guess what? We have to change not them.
I'm going to double my beef, pork,chicken intake to take up the slack of all the future vegans.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I'm going to double my beef, pork,chicken intake to take up the slack of all the future vegans.
I concur.

Dodger
Old 01-25-2019, 04:31 PM

Dannielle Smith, yesterdays'a woman, went from being no 1 candidate as next premier of the province, to a pathetic talk show host. If she hadn't Bugged Out, we might never have been stuck with Rachel and the gang. Sorry, no respect for that lady.

Grizz
Old 01-25-2019, 04:34 PM

I'm with Ted Nugent
"I love vegetarians, they make up a big part of my diet"

There was a time when one might pay attention to things like the Canada Food Guide in the knowledge that it was published with an eye to actual science and the welfare of the population.
Now it appears to have become just one more avenue for the prancing clown and the rest of his crowd to bleat and wring their hands.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:35 PM

Beef all week next week for me.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:24 PM

We probably have a few more people added to our population who don't eat beef,and we probably have a few more who worship cows, and of course the vegans,to each his own I guess. When I heard the new food guide I started wondering what the hell am I going to eat, what the hell is going to take the place of a good steak,tofu?
Good thread KGB,,,, bring on the beef.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Dannielle Smith, yesterdays'a woman, went from being no 1 candidate as next premier of the province, to a pathetic talk show host. If she hadn't Bugged Out, we might never have been stuck with Rachel and the gang. Sorry, no respect for that lady.

Grizz
Meh. The behind the scenes doorknobs drove her out. She's an intelligent, thoughtful and enjoyable talk show host. In my opinion of course.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Meh. The behind the scenes doorknobs drove her out. She's an intelligent, thoughtful and enjoyable talk show host. In my opinion of course.
X2 My opinion of her was not very high until I listened to her show for a half a year. She is a smart cookie. Well spoken as you say.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-25-2019, 06:17 PM

When she was running for politics I would never have voted for her.
Once she learned how the big boys operate including Preston I have gained respect for her.
She is very good as a talk show host and does her homework
I would now vote for her.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
When she was running for politics I would never have voted for her.
Once she learned how the big boys operate including Preston I have gained respect for her.
She is very good as a talk show host and does her homework
I would now vote for her.
Me to was never much of a fan when she was in politics, I really enjoy listening to her she is direct, tells it like it is and now at times I think “ man she should be our premier “
Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 PM

Well I’m glad to see you guys are still eating beef. Life ain’t worth living if I couldn’t have a big rare T bone or rib steak off the bbq.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Glad I read this thread, reminded me my freezer is getting low
on beef & Steaks, off to re stock up tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Luck is with us though. Prices for petri dish beef have come down to only a couple of thousand for a steak.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:47 PM

The only question I have is this- with the new government in power soon( I hope it will be the UCP), will they have BALLS big enough to actually withstand these foreign powers who constantly attacking our industries?
Or they are going to be again mumbling bunch of imbeciles bending over and asking to go deeper? Will we finally get a leader who will stand up for our country and people? Damn!....
Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I do love me some Steak!!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:49 PM

I remember them saying stay away from beef in the late 70's early 80's...then suddenly beef became healthy again...I will always demand my pound of flesh!!!! And yes, I come from a ranching family but I will still indulge in chicken, pork and fish! Can't imagine life without them....we are so lucky to live where we are!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:34 PM

She is an embarrassment to Alberta. If we had an ocean she should have been keel hauled along with Jim Prentiss
Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 PM

I've got a nice red Angus heifer hanging in the cooler now, splitting with a friend.

We didn't get the memo.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
^^^^^ THIS!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 AM

I read somewhere recently that our wonderful Liberal government is considering a "meat tax", aimed at reducing the number of cattle in Canada so cow farts would contribute less to greenhouse gases. Recent changes to the Canada Food Guide would be a logical place to start ingraining that kind of paranoia in the weak minded and the young.
Could be just another calculated attack on the Western Canadian economy...
Old 01-27-2019, 07:34 AM

One good thing about this, should be a over supply of beef so prices should drop. I love my steak and burgers.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
A very intelligent lady, I listen to her show when I can.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:31 AM

They should make another commercial like the one from the 80's Wendy's commercial when the little old lady said "WHERE'S THE BEEF".
Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Suspended User

Default The Lancet

Considering that The Lancet is behind publishing the fake report linking autism and immunization, why would anyone believe what they print.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
They should make another commercial like the one from the 80's Wendy's commercial when the little old lady said "WHERE'S THE BEEF".
We also need a national TV commercial that asks, "WHERE'S THE PIPELINE?"
Old 01-27-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
The only question I have is this- with the new government in power soon( I hope it will be the UCP), will they have BALLS big enough to actually withstand these foreign powers who constantly attacking our industries?
Or they are going to be again mumbling bunch of imbeciles bending over and asking to go deeper? Will we finally get a leader who will stand up for our country and people? Damn!....
Google CorpEthics International. They'll work for anyone. Check out their client list.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:53 PM

I wish we had more of her show on air up here instead of the guy we hear in the mornings. She is far more well rounded in her thinking.
I can really see why she was a rising star for the conservatives.
More people should listen to her with an open ear, especially those on the left.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I wish we had more of her show on air up here instead of the guy we hear in the mornings. She is far more well rounded in her thinking.
I can really see why she was a rising star for the conservatives.
More people should listen to her with an open ear, especially those on the left.
YUp can't stand Ryan up here in Edmonton so listen to 770 via TuneIn app. We really need more people like her in politics