Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Travel Reccomendations

I just found out that the clients I’ve been looking after dont’t sound they’ll be doing anymore drilling till June. So I unexpectedly have a few months off. Been pretty crazy busy with work for the last couple years so not worried about $$ right now. It’s just me and the wife so we’re thinking we may go be beach bums for a few weeks.

Do you guys have any recommendations for somewhere that is relatively cheap when you get there (ie Food/VRBO)? We’ve done Mexico a bunch but would like to try something different. Hawaii has cheap flights (and we’ve been to Maui a few times) but with the exchange, a multi week holiday will add up. Beach and sun are the only real requirements.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:56 PM

I know a couple that went to the Fiji Islands and from there they hopped around the islands. Besides the 3K airfare for two, it cost the couple about 4.5K while there for a 6 week stay. They said they could have done it cheaper if they had used the hostels instead of hotels.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-13-2019, 06:04 PM

My brother swears by Costa Rica. Ecuador and Panama are both worth checking out too.

Last edited by Okotok; 01-13-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:11 PM

My wife and I enjoyed Aruba. Prices weren't bad.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:43 PM

For me its a no-brainer. Vietnam. Amazing food and culture, crazy nice beaches. Cheap cheap cheap
Old 01-13-2019, 06:53 PM

Try Cuba - some cayos (Islands?) are secluded and really relaxing. We did Cayo Santa Maria awhile back, really enjoyed it.

Would like to have seen Havana though. Try that?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:07 PM

So far Cayo Santa Marie for me is by far the nicest beaches and water I've seen. We stayed at the sanctuary last year, its adults only and top notch as far as cuba goes.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM

We couldn’t get enough of Kauai. Super chill, small island, amazing beaches. Costa Rica was great as well.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I know a couple that went to the Fiji Islands and from there they hopped around the islands. Besides the 3K airfare for two, it cost the couple about 4.5K while there for a 6 week stay. They said they could have done it cheaper if they had used the hostels instead of hotels.
We’re both in our early 40’s so the hostel days are behind us. Will definitely have to be a hotel. Didn’t think Fiji was affordable but will have to look into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
My brother swears by Costa Rica. Ecuador and Panama are both worth checking out too.
Costa Rica is on the radar as well as Ecuador, Panama, Hondouras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
My wife and I enjoyed Aruba. Prices weren't bad.
We did Curaçao this spring for 2 weeks. The most beautiful water/beaches we’ve seen.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
For me its a no-brainer. Vietnam. Amazing food and culture, crazy nice beaches. Cheap cheap cheap
The wife isn’t super adventurous but I’m pushing for something like this.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Would like to go to Roatan sometime in the future.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM

Antigua.
You'll have to fly to Toronto or somewhere first, and that's the only downside, but if you're going for a couple weeks shouldn't be a problem.
Before we went we inquired about shots. They said we didn't need any, as they are a first world country.
Our Fishing boat captain showed us where Mick Jagger moors his yacht when he comes.
I often felt it was too nice a place for the likes of me.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
The wife isn’t super adventurous but I’m pushing for something like this.
I just got back from 3 weeks in Vietnam last week. It’s an incredible country. It’s quite well traveled these days so it’s not the crazy exotic destination it once was. Most people in any sort of hospitality role speak English.

The prices are simply unbelievable for what you get. We were paying $40-50/night for a nice hotel with a pool. Budget hotels are $20-30/ night. Hostels are even less but we are too old to find them appealing. Lots of new family run hotels are popping up and they are generally better run and better value than the chains.

The food is great, but I loved Viet food long before I went there so I’m biased. Beer is good and cheap. We gained some weight because when food is so cheap, it’s hard not to try an order of spring rolls at every little bar you stop into.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Gonna add that to my list. Found a good deal for China, but that's not till September.

Grizz
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM

Egypt! Red Sea is phenomenal. And if you dive it'll be even better
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I just got back from 3 weeks in Vietnam last week. It’s an incredible country. It’s quite well traveled these days so it’s not the crazy exotic destination it once was. Most people in any sort of hospitality role speak English.

The prices are simply unbelievable for what you get. We were paying $40-50/night for a nice hotel with a pool. Budget hotels are $20-30/ night. Hostels are even less but we are too old to find them appealing. Lots of new family run hotels are popping up and they are generally better run and better value than the chains.

The food is great, but I loved Viet food long before I went there so I’m biased. Beer is good and cheap. We gained some weight because when food is so cheap, it’s hard not to try an order of spring rolls at every little bar you stop into.
What would be a 2 week itinerary be like? Where would you suggest starting?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Vietnam

Vietnam is very affordable.
Especially accommodations
Can get A/C hotel rooms with a pool for $10-20
Meals in a restaurant start around $3
Street food can be had for $1

Just be aware that everywhere you go people will try to scam you.
Don’t expect to be given change, if you pay with more than the item costs (price just suddenly doubles or triples) but there are occasional honest vendors.
police are corrupt and will extort you if the opportunity arises
The cities and touristy areas are the worst.

I personally will spend my time elsewhere in the future.
Thailand is only slightly more expensive and the people are very friendly.
Cambodia is also quite cheap (although less developed) with very friendly locals.

I’ve been to over 20 countries and have never run into so many nasty locals
You are viewed as a walking wallet that owes them something.

If you can get past that then it is a neat country to explore and has Beautiful natural areas.

And some of the best coffee I’ve ever had.

This article sums it up nicely for anyone interested.
http://thehungrysuitcase.com/25-thin...ng-in-vietnam/

I’d suggest packing light, carrying hidden money (with not much in your actual wallet)
Be wary of anyone that approches you
Research common scams extensively
Get 2-3 prices on any big purchases before buying
Don’t be afraid to haggle
Ask prices on everything before buying and make sure its clear what is included.
and be aware of local beliefs
Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 PM

Make sure you check out VRBO (vacation rental by owner) before you book. It has save us thousands on hotel/condo stays.
For example, we always stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset, regular room rate is about $285 USD plus fees plus cleaning plus $25/day parking plus taxes, VRBO was $150 CAD all in. One Condo owner I have rented from lives in Edmonton.

Turned a 8 day break into a 3 week holiday.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Check that. Wife isn’t too interested in the adventure. More of a find a VRBO, pit in for a couple weeks and day trip around.

Back to the research....
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Most international flights land in Ho Chi Minh city (aka Saigon). That’s in the south of the country and very hot. We were advised to travel from north to south so you can acclimate to the hot weather better. I’m glad we did so. You can hop intra country flights for cheap, like $25 per person cheap. We did this instead of taking trains just to save time.

We flew from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi immediately after we landed in Vietnam. Hanoi is too crazy for me, crazy traffic and no beach, but it’s worth seeing for a couple days. We went from Hanoi to Ha Long bay. Most people take cruises here to see the bay. We did a 2 day 1 night deal but it’s really only 24hrs on the boat, I wish we did 2 nights.

We then flew to Hue, which is an awesome town. Lots to see there, probably 3 days worth. Caught a cab to Hoi An, nice beach there and a historic old town, stay there 2-3 days.

Flew to Nha Trang for 2 days after that. It’s one of the nicest beaches I’ve seen anywhere in my travels. Reminds me of Rio’s Copacabana beach except it’s clean. It’s a big destination for Russians looking for a beach vacation. If you are looking to be a beach bum this is probably where you want to be.

then we went to Da Lat up in the mountains. It’s a mild climate and it’s refreshing compared to other places. Probably worth 2-3 days. Then fly back to Ho Chi Minh and hang out there for a few days and head home from there.

For places that are close together, you can rent a private car & driver for about $10/hr Canadian. Plus the driver will take you to a bunch of roadside stops and such. Beats the hell out of being crammed on a bus fully of smelly 21 year old backpackers.

Last edited by Etownpaul; 01-13-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Lol too late I’m a slow typist
Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 AM

Check out Pacific Grove in Monterey California. We stay for $1600 Can. Per week based on 2 people. We can fly here to Phoenix then to Monterey Regional airport, accommodations and rental car for 8 days. Cheaper per day if we stay longer. Wife and I have travelled all over except Mexico and now do not go any where else. Lots to do or not, warm without being hot. Miles of different beaches and coastlines with tons of access. Safe, easy to get to, many airport options like San Francisco, San Jose and others that are direct flights. Dogfish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1547352331253.jpg (14.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 1545462287452.jpg (26.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1545462286696.jpg (26.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Lethbridge can be windy but nice, maybe nisku or slave lake. Wainwright, westlock and bashaw all worth a look.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Lethbridge can be windy but nice, maybe nisku or slave lake. Wainwright, westlock and bashaw all worth a look.
Nisku all the way.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 AM

I will agree with Costa Rica, a great place.

Curacao has beautiful beaches and is safe and quiet.

Roatan for good snorkeling and a more cultural experience.

Definately make use of Airbnb or vrbo. You will almost always get much better accomodations and a greater experience that way.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaw View Post
I will agree with Costa Rica, a great place.

Curacao has beautiful beaches and is safe and quiet.

Roatan for good snorkeling and a more cultural experience.

Definately make use of Airbnb or vrbo. You will almost always get much better accomodations and a greater experience that way.
We’re not big fans of all inclusive resorts. Did one last year and doing one with a group in March. If we’re doing a week, we’ll look at a resort but any longer a VRBO is much better. Looking into Roatan to see what it’s all about.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Cuba. Varadero, golf club's ponds are good places for fishing barracuda.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:13 AM

Spain, Portugal, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Hungary are all cheap, friendly and safe. Lots of inexpensive flights. Lots of VRBO options for places to stay. If you want heat and beaches this time of year, Spain, Greece and Portugal would be the choices.

If you want a real short flight, Arizona or Texas. VRBO is cheap, really cheap flights, nice and warm, Arizona no beaches. Texas has lots of beaches, same cheap flights and accommodation, even with the exchange.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Spain, Portugal, Greece, Czechoslovakia and Hungary are all cheap, friendly and safe. Lots of inexpensive flights. Lots of VRBO options for places to stay. If you want heat and beaches this time of year, Spain, Greece and Portugal would be the choices.

If you want a real short flight, Arizona or Texas. VRBO is cheap, really cheap flights, nice and warm, Arizona no beaches. Texas has lots of beaches, same cheap flights and accommodation, even with the exchange.
The Mediterranean beaches are a little cool this time of year. Say 15C daytime temps.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM

#1 BE SAFE

you said $ not an issue so why not just go somewhere that everyone speaks your lingo they take your cards and most of all no bad guys who want to rob or just blow something up.

I have traveled over the years to most all the places mentioned here and a few more in my job and for a nice safe warm beach it is Maui, Florida Aussiland
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
#1 BE SAFE

you said $ not an issue so why not just go somewhere that everyone speaks your lingo they take your cards and most of all no bad guys who want to rob or just blow something up.

I have traveled over the years to most all the places mentioned here and a few more in my job and for a nice safe warm beach it is Maui, Florida Aussiland
Being safe is #1 but going outside the comfort zone is part of the adventure. Money is somewhat of an issue. Don’t want to blow a whole ton of dough when I’m not working but I’ve had around 2 weeks off since last June. The time off is appreciated. Accommodations and food being the majority of a 2-3 week holiday budget we’d like to be somewhat thrifty.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We’ll keep doing some research