Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 09:35 PM

Default ATV Battery

Any recommendations on a good battery brand for my Polaris Sportsman 850 ATV? I need one with some high cold cranking amps thats going to start my machine in the dead of winter!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 PM

Yuasa. Check Sask battery.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Yuasa. Check Sask battery.
Thanks! I will check them out.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:12 PM

Odyssey Deep Cycle, keep it on a tender & it will never let you down.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/

Worth every penny.

Bought a few now from Battery World on 156 St.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=amosfella;3847247]Yuasa.

The best
Old 09-27-2018, 10:46 PM

A battery tender to give a trickle charge and 0-30 or a good synthetic oil is the key to starting at -30.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:50 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
A battery tender to give a trickle charge and 0-30 or a good synthetic oil is the key to starting at -30.
A battery tender is a big plus 👍😊 my at batteries last way longer and make cold winter starts a lot easier since the battery is always at peak charge. Synthetic oil is also the best for cold starts as well.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:14 AM

I've had no luck with the Yuasa batteries in my quad. I bought a Eliminator from Canadian Tire for my side x side and it's been great even in the winter, so I just bought one for my quad the other day. It was $130, I think the last time I bought a Yuasa it was close to $200.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Yuasa is my Choice Too!

curtz, you're the first I've heard of in 34 years of ATV'ing that had an issue with Yuasa batteries, interesting. That is the only brand I buy for my ATV's.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Banned

i bought two battery tenders for my quads..........and they boiled both batteries dry. guy at the battery store couldn't figure out why, as they were only supposed to trickle charge the batteries when they needed it, but....he gave me two new batteries and two different brand tenders and away i went!

shout out to All-tra battery in lethbridge. with treatment like that, it's pretty hard to go elsewhere.

now, out of an abundance of caution, i only plug them in overnight once a week or so. no further problems.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM

The first Yuasa battery lasted over 10 years in the quad according to the date stamp. I bought another Yuasa battery from Saskbattery for about $5 more shipped than a motomaster. And it came ready to go. The fluid was put in, and it was fully charged. I got it 3 days after ordering. The motomaster had a lot of complaints on the website about only lasting about a year.

Due to the difficulty for getting a charger onto mine, I got a noco plug in charger connector from Cambodian Tire.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
The first Yuasa battery lasted over 10 years in the quad according to the date stamp. I bought another Yuasa battery from Saskbattery for about $5 more shipped than a motomaster. And it came ready to go. The fluid was put in, and it was fully charged. I got it 3 days after ordering. The motomaster had a lot of complaints on the website about only lasting about a year.

Due to the difficulty for getting a charger onto mine, I got a noco plug in charger connector from Cambodian Tire.
x2 all the way round except I found the cheapest batteries at Recreationa Power Sports West Edmoton 14820 123 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5L 2Y3.

Have been using Yuasa for 30 years. Tried others, the Yuasa way outlast them. The CT Noco (about $35 a pop) .750 amp smart charger with direct connect is what I have on all my ATV batteries as well as the car I park over winter. No way it will boil over a battery but it will keep it nicely topped up. If you want to save some bucks you can get the leads that attach permanently to the batteries and just switch the charger around between them every 10 days or so but I find it far more convenient to just leave one on each battery.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Best thing you can do is build a new battery box and use a car battery, much cheaper and twice the cranking, especially for your winch.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best thing you can do is build a new battery box and use a car battery, much cheaper and twice the cranking, especially for your winch.
I could see that on a sxs but not very feasible on most quads
Old 09-28-2018, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill have switch to a synthetic oil to help keep things flowing. I see the current battery is only 180 Cold Cranking amps and most of the ones im looking at are 300-380. Should help out I think. I do have a battery tender on the current battery that is wired into my truck. My quad sits on my sled deck on the truck a lot during outfitting season and im sure the extreme cold and windchill while driving around is not easy on the electrical system.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
curtz, you're the first I've heard of in 34 years of ATV'ing that had an issue with Yuasa batteries, interesting. That is the only brand I buy for my ATV's.
Probably just my ****ty luck.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:07 PM

Default battery

Check out ANTIGRAVITY LITHUM batteries. Not cheap but nothing beats them.
880 cranking amps in a atv battery.

Last edited by pgavey; 09-28-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:19 PM

I use an AGM car battery on the rack behind the seat on my 2-up Sportsman with extended battery cables. No more diddling with those small mickey mouse batteries. Easy to remove and tap off power for other uses.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Check out ANTIGRAVITY LITHUM batteries. Not cheap but nothing beats them.
880 cranking amps in a atv battery.
The local battery shop sells them. The manager there told me that they didn't have much power at -30. Said they were great for those who only use the quad in the summer, but not so good in winter.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you want to save some bucks you can get the leads that attach permanently to the batteries and just switch the charger around between them every 10 days or so but I find it far more convenient to just leave one on each battery.
Those leads are what I'm talking about. I have to tear apart a bunch of the quad to get to the battery due to a rad relocate and snorkel kit. Makes it easy to get the charger attached while I have trickle on it. I should put one in my grandma's car...
Old 09-28-2018, 09:45 PM

I got one for my 700 EFI Polaris Sportsman from I believe Battery World on the south side of Edmonton in 2015. By far the best price and I have never put a battery charger on it and my quad sits in an unheated shed and has never failed to start in the dead of winter.

I do use synthetic 5w-40 oil.