Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2018, 01:57 PM

Default 5th Wheel towing in tandem

I'm asking for people that have had, or are towing tandem trailers (5th wheel ahead of bumper pull) advice on pro's/cons, and what 5th wheel unit has the strongest hitch attachment. I'm looking at purchasing a 28'-30' 5th wheel holiday trailer, but I would like to be able to pull my sxs in an enclosed, or possibly flat deck trailer. who knows, maybe a boat in the future as well. I have enough truck to handle it (1 ton with a Cummins), just looking for suggestions and advice. A couple I have looked at rate the rear hitch on the 5th wheel at 300lb tongue weight only. Seems light to me with an 1600lb SXS.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Default 5th wheel

May need to check with the DOT to see what length you can go
Old 09-27-2018, 02:30 PM

• The length from the front of the towing vehicle to the rear of the last trailer can not exceed 20 metres
• The hitch fastening the second trailer to the first trailer must be fastened to the frame of the first trailer

Have a look at previous post on same topic
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29495
Old 09-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Default 5th Wheel

Do it all the time.
Make sure that the second trailer doesn't have too much weight towards the back of it. It will tow like the second trailer isn't even there.
I paid good money to have a custom hitch made (Hitch House) for the rear of my 5th wheel. It is part of the frame and is rated (certified) for 10,000 lbs.

Tim

TRUCK.jpg
Old 09-27-2018, 03:06 PM

The 300 tounge weight is a verticle limit . Should be good for 3000 pull rating.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtimetim View Post
Do it all the time.
Make sure that the second trailer doesn't have too much weight towards the back of it. It will tow like the second trailer isn't even there.
I paid good money to have a custom hitch made (Hitch House) for the rear of my 5th wheel. It is part of the frame and is rated (certified) for 10,000 lbs.

Tim

Attachment 149204
Nice rig, that's exactly what I'm shooting for. right now I load my JD Gator 825 on a flat deck I had put on my truck, and pull a 26' bumper hitch trailer. What is the length of your 5th wheel and flat deck, respectively?

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
The 300 tounge weight is a verticle limit . Should be good for 3000 pull rating.
Yes, you are correct. Saying that, with a 1600lb SXS slightly ahead of center the tongue weight of it and the trailer is over 300lbs and that doesn't take into effect bouncing on some of Alberta's lovely highways. I like the suggestion of a custom hitch.

Thanks,
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 PM

With the trailer you see in the picture I am 67',over by 1.25' (14' utility trailer) Now have 12' version.
If you get a 12' trailer with a short tongue you will be fine. Otherwise a 10' is max for legal if you want a 5th wheel over 25'

Tim
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Yes, you are correct. Saying that, with a 1600lb SXS slightly ahead of center the tongue weight of it and the trailer is over 300lbs and that doesn't take into effect bouncing on some of Alberta's lovely highways. I like the suggestion of a custom hitch.

Thanks,
Bounce is most certainly taken into account.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Been doing it for years, I also got my hitch from the hitch house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160608_202443_resized_3(1).jpg (69.4 KB, 171 views)
Old 09-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Look into the “Swift hitch” camera system. It’s a wireless camera that sticks to the bumper of the fifth wheel. I can’t remeber how much they are, I want to say around 2-250? Anyways, it allows you to keep an eye on the back trailer, like tires, tarps, tie downs and traffic that’s following or about to pass. You can also temporarily position it for hooking up to the second trailer if your by yourself.
I have a 28.5 foot fifth wheel that measures 33 feet pin to bumper, so with a crew cab and my old 18’ boat I was probably 8-10’ feet over. I’ve heard “rumours” that they actually check people for this in certain areas, Kinuso corner to be exact, and they have some tolerance but I don’t think for that much lol. I’ve upgraded the truck and boat since then so it’s no longer a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Banned

A guy may need to service the axle and brakes a little more often on the trailer also Good tires at the proper load rating is often overlooked.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:12 PM

Did it for 3 years with a 30 foot fiver and 14 foot tilt deck behind for the quad and my boys bikes. Had a hitch fabricated from a family friend and welded to the frame. Beefy.
The tilt deck was nice but only single axle so a lot of bounce if not loaded properly!!!
Only went up to the Livingston for fishing and some OHV so we didn't go far.

Now a 40 foot toyhauler with all enclosed.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Been doing it for years, I also got my hitch from the hitch house.
Looks nice , hows it to back into a tight spot ?
Old 09-28-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Looks nice , hows it to back into a tight spot ?
I dont like to get into tight spots, when i go to the lake i drop the boat at the launch, park the trailer then pick up the boat. I did have to back it out of the sani dump at Calling Lake, I did not bad. The double pivot deffiently takes some practice.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
Look into the “Swift hitch” camera system. It’s a wireless camera that sticks to the bumper of the fifth wheel. I can’t remeber how much they are, I want to say around 2-250? Anyways, it allows you to keep an eye on the back trailer, like tires, tarps, tie downs and traffic that’s following or about to pass. You can also temporarily position it for hooking up to the second trailer if your by yourself.
I have a 28.5 foot fifth wheel that measures 33 feet pin to bumper, so with a crew cab and my old 18’ boat I was probably 8-10’ feet over. I’ve heard “rumours” that they actually check people for this in certain areas, Kinuso corner to be exact, and they have some tolerance but I don’t think for that much lol. I’ve upgraded the truck and boat since then so it’s no longer a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worse than getting pulled over and ticketed would be insurance would be Void if one were to ever get in an accident.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Worse than getting pulled over and ticketed would be insurance would be Void if one were to ever get in an accident.
I asked my insurance agent about that and he said that they could not deny you insurance.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I asked my insurance agent about that and he said that they could not deny you insurance.
You may want to contact the manufacturer of your fifth wheel and inquire if there is a factory option for the auxiliary hitch. I personally have never seen a factory bumper pull hitch on any fifth wheel.. There is a reason and I am sure if there was a serious accident, well there's a lot of wiggle room for your insurance company to deny you claim.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I wasn’t overlength....in Saskatchewan, which has different allowable dimensions. I know insurance will look for any way out of a claim, but I think that’s kinda a long stretch, pun intended.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
You may want to contact the manufacturer of your fifth wheel and inquire if there is a factory option for the auxiliary hitch. I personally have never seen a factory bumper pull hitch on any fifth wheel.. There is a reason and I am sure if there was a serious accident, well there's a lot of wiggle room for your insurance company to deny you claim.
My Rockwood has a bolt on hitch option. I also added a wireless camera so I could see my boat.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
My Rockwood has a bolt on hitch option. I also added a wireless camera so I could see my boat.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
If I am not mistaken, that option is for the rear bike rack option, rated for 350 lbs max. If your is indeed for an actual hitch option, the manufacture's nameplate should have a rating for towing.. Like I said I have never seen one that is rated to tow.