Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Fixing old cars- I swore I was never going to do that again!!! Question for the wrenches in the forum

I bought a Chrysler LHS new in 1999, 2nd best vehicle I have ever owned right after my 2000 F350 Lariat LE. I have 275,000km on the old girl, and other than a transmission at ~200,000 and rear struts at about ~220,000 it has been just great. A couple years ago it decided it didn't want to start when warm anymore. It would drive just fine, but if you touch the gas at all when it was cranking you had to sit for 20 minutes. If you tried it would not fire and there was almost a 'old kerosene smell'. After 20 you touch the gas and just 'feather' the gas while it was coming to life, and you could bring it right back to working fine. Just don't shut it off. I did several scans, changed plugs and boots, no codes but problem persisted. The damn thing still was getting over 35mpg through this.
One day coming home it decided to lose power on the road, and I had to go get a trailer. I bought a truck that day.
Now with gas prices the way they are, I thought I would go back to driving the old LHS, so I dropped the tank to change the fuel pump and filters. Actually I literally dropped the tank, when I had it on the lift it was held up with tie straps and I was slowly letting it down, something caught the gas shifted and then it hit the floor. Ripped the wiring right out of the car
Luckily I knew that the access to the tank wiring is under the back seat, easy fix but still annoying.

SO here is my question. The 'kit' I got was just the pump itself, no assembly. I can not for the life of me get the pump out of the bottom half of the assembly. When they assemble them, do they glue the 2 pieces in? Seems strange that you can buy a pump for a pickup that doesn't come apart but I have seen stupider things.
Is there any way to change just the pump?

I have already ordered another assembly and a camshaft sensor, they are a couple weeks out. From what I have read the pump and sensor are the 2 things most common in this type of failure.

It's a shame, the old car is a very good looking fully loaded leather creampuff, rides wonderful and has brand new shoes under her. I think I even did the brakes a year before I parked it. If these don't fix it though, it may be the scrapyard for my last ever Mopar.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 04-27-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Are there some clips that you're missing spreading?? I've done that a few times...

Also, sometimes a bit of heat is needed. I've had success getting old parts out of plastic housings by boiling them in water. Up to you if you want to do it in this case...

Or should I say, up to the misses...
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Are there some clips that you're missing spreading?? I've done that a few times...

Also, sometimes a bit of heat is needed. I've had success getting old parts out of plastic housings by boiling them in water. Up to you if you want to do it in this case...

Or should I say, up to the misses...
I put a real bright light up to the housing and there are no clips or screws, and the top and bottom are not screwed together. Heat gun or boiling may just do it though! Thank you!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-27-2018, 08:25 PM

do a U tube search. Someone somewhere will have a vid about it.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
do a U tube search. Someone somewhere will have a vid about it.
Already tried Youtube, bing, google, wiki (shudder) nada anywhere so far

Old 04-27-2018, 09:21 PM

I called Chrysler here and talked to a couple mechanics here, all said they have tried with limited or no success. Something always breaks.

If and when the new parts get here and I get it fixed, I am going to unleash hell on the old part.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:50 PM

I'd get a printout of the parts diagram(s) of that particular area, and a list of parts available for it. Not only from the on-line parts dept lists and diagrams, printed out by an empathetic partsman, but also from the official shop manual for that make, model, and year. Often whatever is in the shop manual is a different part number than the partsman gets on his screen. But one or the other of those can occasionally be successfully searched or even cross-referenced through enthusiast's forums and general google searches.

In order to build the vehicle, parts have to be engineered, drawn up, and manufactured by the millions so specs for some component assembly size have to exist somewhere. Even if it ends up being the whole tank and pump assembly. They might be 'no longer in production', but have to be specified at least.

Then you can pull them off of a wrecked vehicle or even have something milled from aluminum stock. In this case it looks like a straightforward housing of some sort which is a lot more simple than, say, an ECU.

There's a lot you can do with plastics and adhesives too, for example to fix a heater mixer door which is no longer available, but I'd shy away from those if it will end up sitting in gasoline.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I put a real bright light up to the housing and there are no clips or screws, and the top and bottom are not screwed together. Heat gun or boiling may just do it though! Thank you!
I should warn you... Boiled parts can be hot. Use waterproof BBQ gloves.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:13 AM

Universal wrench, it will come right apart.....
AKA 8lb hammer lol.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:47 AM

I've had a lawnmower fail to start after it got warm that was nothing more than a source of aggravation. Turns out it was the coil that I figured out that needed replacing. There was nothing more gratifying than hitting the old coil with a .308 round at a 100 yards. I would have shot it more but couldn't find any of it left other than the plug lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I called Chrysler here and talked to a couple mechanics here, all said they have tried with limited or no success. Something always breaks.

If and when the new parts get here and I get it fixed, I am going to unleash hell on the old part.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Just got the mustang back on the road a couple days ago,
Dead ground=fried fuel pump!

Be sure and check your ground points for the pump, it almost always goes hand in hand, very seldom than a submerged pump will die if it's got a good ground.
Guy I worked for when I was a kid had a pickup that kept frying fuel pumps every couple months, he ended up cutting a hole in the truck bed so he could access it without dropping the tank, all he needed was a new ground wire and it quit cooking pumps.