Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM

I just finished my extensive shopping for a new one, I feel like I covered every base, crossed every bridge and dotted every "i" over my near-two month shopping adventure. I ended up with a new Ford, I've has two Dodges in the past, both JUNK, absolutely TERRIBLE on fuel and drove like lumber wagons. Its clear to see why the Dodge is the cheapest truck, you get what you pay for. I was very torn between a Silverado and an F150, but both are MILES ahead of the Rams....my .02c of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Been following those for awhile, but the buggers still haven't offered an extended (king) cab. Just those goofy 4-door taxi crew cabs. And the available paint is either black or white. What, are we still back in 1928?
What about the gunmetal metallic, red and blue ones??
Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM

If for some reason I couldn’t buy GM I’d likely go for a Ford base V6. I tend to keep vehicles a long time so no turbos for me.

That said I’d never buy new. Let someone else take the massive loss in the first couple years.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
[...]

What about the gunmetal metallic, red and blue ones??
Not on the website I'm looking at. More to the point, no king-cabs with cummins yet either.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
They all have their issues. Take one for a spin and see which one suits you.
Winner winner post. Get out and rent one of each for the weekend. Then you will know which one you fancy best.

I'm a true blue ford guy so buy FORD but like the looks of the dodge. Cousins & friends drive them. They have no big complaints.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post
I just finished my extensive shopping for a new one, I feel like I covered every base, crossed every bridge and dotted every "i" over my near-two month shopping adventure. I ended up with a new Ford, I've has two Dodges in the past, both JUNK, absolutely TERRIBLE on fuel and drove like lumber wagons. Its clear to see why the Dodge is the cheapest truck, you get what you pay for. I was very torn between a Silverado and an F150, but both are MILES ahead of the Rams....my .02c of course.
Probably the best call. Gotta think Dodge current halfton body style came out in 09, so it's pretty much a 10 year old design at this point, so bang for your buck right off the bat is limited. New Fords are nice if the aluminium bodies last.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 PM

Default trucks

Neither, get a Tundra or a Titan & skip the status quo junk|
Old 04-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Neither, get a Tundra or a Titan & skip the status quo junk|

If you don’t mind a half ton that drinks like a 3/4 ton.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
If you don’t mind a half ton that drinks like a 3/4 ton.
Gas is a lot cheaper than in the shop getting fixed all the time , Plus putting gas in the lemons ain't much cheaper. Reliability is king. Tundra & Titan win in that department.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:09 AM

Dodge/Cummins ...... Ram
Dodge/Hemi ...... Lamb
Old 04-14-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Probably the best call. Gotta think Dodge current halfton body style came out in 09, so it's pretty much a 10 year old design at this point, .

Wonder if that's why the other two keep copying it? Flair top on the tailgate? Large grill? GM or Ford incorporated storage compartments in their boxes yet?

Ford keeps changing their headlight styling tho so there's that I guess.

Driven all three over the past few years and on the Dodge now. Only complaint so far? coil springs. Very soft back end.

Truth be known any of the domestics are disposable and redundant crap. That's all they've ever been able to design. I'm waiting for one of them to come up with the catch phrase, "easily recyclable" as their claim to fame.

Anything over $30k for something North American designed and manufactured is to be sneered at with great derision.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
GM or Ford incorporated storage compartments in their boxes yet.
Not needed for a Ford or Gm, You always need tools to fix the dodge on the road , that's why they have those tool storage boxes build in for easy an quick access to get the crescent wrench out. Nissan had the tool storage box behind the rear wheel well, since you have to crawl underneath it all the time it was quick access to a hammer.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Gas is a lot cheaper than in the shop getting fixed all the time , Plus putting gas in the lemons ain't much cheaper. Reliability is king. Tundra & Titan win in that department.

I suppose this makes sense if you drink the koolaid. I’ve owned pretty well all makes over the years and they all had problems. Toyota and Nissan aren’t magical.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:41 PM

My money, neither. Both are garbage. Give me a JDM turbo-diesel 70 series Landcruiser Ute over either of these junkers and bank the $40,000 difference. The Ram will be recycled into nails and the Ford into beer cans before the Landcruiser is even broken in.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Not needed for a Ford or Gm, You always need tools to fix the dodge on the road , that's why they have those tool storage boxes build in for easy an quick access to get the crescent wrench out.

On Ford's they would blow off at highway speeds where, being made of "military grade aluminum", (har), they would half life away in the ditch for the next 10,000 years.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Keep this in mind, not every bodyshop is "authorized" to work on this magical military grade aluminum. With living in Cold Lake, a co-worker has to go to a different city altogether to get a slight crinkle fixed from a bambi strike. When you do drive both trucks, make sure you include some washboard travel; you'll see what 700#'s lighter will do for your shorts. I'm not into brand loyalty, and I do like the older steel Fords but I won't touch the aluminum stuff or one that shuts off at lights.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:11 AM

Ford F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0L best vehicle I have owned, trouble free and its 5 years old.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 PM

My son is a red seal body man who works on both and told me never buy a dodge truck. They are not put together well. Get a ford!
Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM

I have had a 2002 5.4 2 years. 2007 5.4 3 years. 2013 5.0 3 years and a 2016 3.5 for 18 months. All ford trucks. I love the newest one, eco boost is awesome. Was suspect of the ten speed and engine shut offs, but it seems good so far. Zero service in 18 months. However I have a nice but not loaded truck. Brothers limited also 18 months old has been in 5 times. All luxury option issues! Dodge is nice for the money, and independent suspension is awesome for comfort! 1 more vote for the Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Banned

dodge

i have a little over 100k on a 2014 1500 4x4 with the 3.6 pentastar and 8-speed auto and 121 liter fuel tank, 3:55 axle ratio, 7200 lb tow rating

anyone else see 1000k on a tank highway? Fuel light came on, Oh and i only put 100 liters in it when i filled up, exactly 10.0 l/100 on that tank hand calculated, all empty, all highway from calgary to osoyoos and several runs from vernon to penticton while there, fill up was eventually in penticton

my city tanks run in the 13's in the winter, i drive fast, 4x4 lots when snow on the ground and still don't look for gas stations till about 600 kms on tank in town and 1/4 full, in the summer city tanks run in the 12's

most of my highway tanks in the 11's but as i mentioned i drive fast, usually around 130 on highway, and fyi with this 8 spd and axle ration is exactly 2000 rpm...you get killer mileage if you do near the speed limits

my tank coming back from okanogen to revelstoke was about 8.9 l/100, but was super chill, no speeding and a lot of it just under 100 km/h, by the time i got home and let her buck through the mountains that tank averaged 10.1 hand calculated

besides range this has been my fav truck to date, that pentastar 8spd combo is the shizzle, much quicker than the 13 suburban ltz 5.3v8 6spd i hated that thing and it cost twice as much

simple vehicle, no turbo's, no dpf fluid exhaust systems, should have this one for 20 years...still a love affair at year 4

best riding and handling half ton also, the one most voted to be in for a cross country trip by the mags, and nearly as good a front seat comfort as my 08 tundra (most comfy long distance truck i've had so far, the gm was terrible and i rented a ford for a weekend just to see...no comparison)

i'd get another in a heartbeat

downside...they little bit cheesy white oakley tap out shirt looks but if you can get past that it's the 1/2 ton to have, really liking the additional class they added to the brand new ones just rolling out now
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Banned

Well it goes like this.

Go out in your yard and find a frozen dog turd. Stamp ford,chev,dodge or whatever you can on it. You’ll find that no matter what name is on it, someone will eat it. There’s brand loyal people out there that no matter what their brand is it is the best.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
dodge

i have a little over 100k on a 2014 1500 4x4 with the 3.6 pentastar and 8-speed auto and 121 liter fuel tank, 3:55 axle ratio, 7200 lb tow rating

anyone else see 1000k on a tank highway? Fuel light came on, Oh and i only put 100 liters in it when i filled up, exactly 10.0 l/100 on that tank hand calculated, all empty, all highway from calgary to osoyoos and several runs from vernon to penticton while there, fill up was eventually in penticton

my city tanks run in the 13's in the winter, i drive fast, 4x4 lots when snow on the ground and still don't look for gas stations till about 600 kms on tank in town and 1/4 full, in the summer city tanks run in the 12's

most of my highway tanks in the 11's but as i mentioned i drive fast, usually around 130 on highway, and fyi with this 8 spd and axle ration is exactly 2000 rpm...you get killer mileage if you do near the speed limits

my tank coming back from okanogen to revelstoke was about 8.9 l/100, but was super chill, no speeding and a lot of it just under 100 km/h, by the time i got home and let her buck through the mountains that tank averaged 10.1 hand calculated

besides range this has been my fav truck to date, that pentastar 8spd combo is the shizzle, much quicker than the 13 suburban ltz 5.3v8 6spd i hated that thing and it cost twice as much

simple vehicle, no turbo's, no dpf fluid exhaust systems, should have this one for 20 years...still a love affair at year 4

best riding and handling half ton also, the one most voted to be in for a cross country trip by the mags, and nearly as good a front seat comfort as my 08 tundra (most comfy long distance truck i've had so far, the gm was terrible and i rented a ford for a weekend just to see...no comparison)

i'd get another in a heartbeat

downside...they little bit cheesy white oakley tap out shirt looks but if you can get past that it's the 1/2 ton to have, really liking the additional class they added to the brand new ones just rolling out now

This is the truck I would buy right now if I had to. Except with the 3.21 rear end. No need for turbos or diesel to get a good efficient truck.

Out of curiosity did you happen to test the base v6 models from ford or GM? How did they compare?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Buy the Ford 5.0L. Way better truck then the Dodge at this point, and will be reliable for a long time. Also has a ton of interior room if your getting the crew cab. And if you ever want to haul something you can.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Buy the Ford 5.0L. Way better truck then the Dodge at this point, and will be reliable for a long time. Also has a ton of interior room if your getting the crew cab. And if you ever want to haul something you can.
Did they finally fix the weak cylinder problem? My son's 12 let go at 121,000 #5. A member on this board is selling a 13 with #4 gone. It is well documented on all the forums but may be fixed now on the new ones?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Looove my Ford, best truck out of all the ones I have had
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180417_162916.jpg (56.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Did they finally fix the weak cylinder problem? My son's 12 let go at 121,000 #5. A member on this board is selling a 13 with #4 gone. It is well documented on all the forums but may be fixed now on the new ones?
I haven't heard of the issues with the 5L. And I'd imagine any kinks in the engine have been dealt with as it's getting fairly old now.

If you look at the issues with the 3.5 EB, the 5L looks like a better bet if youre planning to keep the truck long term.

The most reliable engine you can buy is the 5.3L GM, it's been around for right around 20 years now and is still going strong. The Chev's are a great truck, but dont have as much room in the back. Which would be the reason I'd look at the Ford truck. The other reason would be the dealership. Have been treated well by the local Ford dealership. Dont have to many good things to say about the GM dealers Ive dealt with.

As for the the Dodge, they just seem to be built cheap, which I dont like when your putting down that much money for a truck. I'd consider the diesels, but I'd imagine the OP is looking at half tons. For me Ford and GM are the clear winners in that segment.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 04-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
This is the truck I would buy right now if I had to. Except with the 3.21 rear end. No need for turbos or diesel to get a good efficient truck.

Out of curiosity did you happen to test the base v6 models from ford or GM? How did they compare?
The 3:21 rear end dropped tow rating to 4000 lbs.

Not necessary with 8 gears. I know the logic for improved mileage, lower the rpm's of cruise on highway but in this case with the 8 spd and especially in the heavier crew cab 4x4 version i would worry the 3:21 would almost be too low on rpm at highway speeds and the transmission would hunt more!

Seriously, my rpm at 130 km/h is 2000. There's just enough power there to hold it on moderate up downs, either way all the extra gears of the 8 speed are nice on the downshifting for hills one at a time (not like gm, don't get me started with their pathetic ability to program throttle to gearing etc.).

Think of the 8 speed like a 6 speed with a way deeper first gear (for stout accelleration off the line) then regular 6 speed gearing in the middle and a way longer overdrive gear at the top for really low rpm on the highway.

I think the rpm at 100 km/h is about 1400 and 110 at 1600 and 120 at 1800...it's close to those figures...i forget but i checked all that out when new and curious. I never really drive that slow so i never forget the 2000 rpm at 130 km/h my truck does. I also chose the 17" wheels, bit shorter than the 20's so there may be a slight difference to those figures on the 20" models but not enough to matter much.

The magazines at the time tested all the v6 models, no comparison to the pentastar 8spd. It performs more like a v8 6 spd.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
The 3:21 rear end dropped tow rating to 4000 lbs.

Not necessary with 8 gears. I know the logic for improved mileage, lower the rpm's of cruise on highway but in this case with the 8 spd and especially in the heavier crew cab 4x4 version i would worry the 3:21 would almost be too low on rpm at highway speeds and the transmission would hunt more!

Seriously, my rpm at 130 km/h is 2000. There's just enough power there to hold it on moderate up downs, either way all the extra gears of the 8 speed are nice on the downshifting for hills one at a time (not like gm, don't get me started with their pathetic ability to program throttle to gearing etc.).

Think of the 8 speed like a 6 speed with a way deeper first gear (for stout accelleration off the line) then regular 6 speed gearing in the middle and a way longer overdrive gear at the top for really low rpm on the highway.

I think the rpm at 100 km/h is about 1400 and 110 at 1600 and 120 at 1800...it's close to those figures...i forget but i checked all that out when new and curious. I never really drive that slow so i never forget the 2000 rpm at 130 km/h my truck does. I also chose the 17" wheels, bit shorter than the 20's so there may be a slight difference to those figures on the 20" models but not enough to matter much.

The magazines at the time tested all the v6 models, no comparison to the pentastar 8spd. It performs more like a v8 6 spd.

I see what you’re saying but I’m one of those people that drives 100 or less if I’m not pressed for time. I never pull more than a couple thousand pounds so to be honest a small truck like a Colorado would do fine for me but I like to have a half ton in case I wanna help someone move or something. I think either rear end would be fine and I wouldn’t turn down a good deal on a 3.55.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Banned

I would think resale on the 3:55 would be the bigger factor to consider as for what your needs are neither axle will make a difference to mileage worth noticing. Get up and go off the line will be a little less snappy with the 3:21, that's about it.

I raced my uncles hemi ram 1500 pre-8speed from a dig, whooped him with my little v6 8spd. He was surprised. I tree'd him but it wouldn't have mattered. If you haven't experienced that combo you don't realize how effective it is.

If you try and stomp the v8 8spd from a dig you just spin. If my little 6 has wet on the roads i still spin from a dig if i stomp it. I can only hammer it on the dry and no one you race will ever know you only have a v6, it's quick!

I constantly pole position and hole shot at lights, did i mention i drive fast? Like always in a hurry. This truck doesn't suffer at all for my driving style, it's actually perfect. I rented a hemi and it just lights em up everywhere, i'd likely get tired of that or have to get my foot retrained to a touch i guess.

The pentastar 8spd combo has proven very versatile combo, well sorted and a perfect match for each other imo.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-18-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM

What is military grade. Last I looked they drive specific conditions and blow the crap out of it. So longevity does not factor into military grade. Are not the ska with corrosive bullets an example of military grade
Old 04-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Thinking of a new truck. If you had to choose, which one would get the nod? Ford or Dodge. Going to be used for hunting, fishing, etc... Thanks for your input.
I did have longhorn loved all the storage in that truck guns in one rambox fly fishing in the other, storage under the rear floor mats, under the rear seat, but I can’t say enough about the rambox, perfect for guns and rods, drive ford all the time at work, and chev/gmc and toys, there all pretty equal, except when it comes to storage, then the dodge blows em out of the water. Toyota seems to be years behind the rest and makes a hemi look like an econo car, very thirsty! Ford you can beat the crap out of and she’ll take it like she knows how. Chevy is the pretty princess truck that rarely sees dirt (if ever) for guys who wear white frame sunglasses, need I say more (I bought two new chevys over the years so don’t start cryin there white frame)Took the longhorn through the creek crossing during the reunion after a big rain, 3’ of raging water, no problems! I’d feel less guilt beating the crap out of a ford than the rest though!