Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Info Wanted: High Angle Rescue Tech Job

Hi all,
I am exploring a new career option for myself as a High Angle Rescue Technician. I've done a bit of reading on the good ol' google lately. I wondering if there is anybody here on AO that does this?

I would like to hear how you like the job and what pros and cons there are? Would also like to know what pay to expect (seen a huge range on the internet of pay).

I graduated from University almost 2 years ago with a geology degree. But as we all know oil & gas related jobs are in the toilet. This recession likely affects High Angle Rescue Techs as well.

Cheers
Rusty
Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 AM

I did it for a few years after I git out of the Army, It was pretty boring for the most part and didn't pay very well compared to the tradesmen on site. The only saving grace was that I did rack up a lot of overtime to compensate for the rate. All of the guys that we employ are 1001 firefighters, minimum EMR and 1006 Rope rescue technicians. Expect rated in the range of 22-25hr.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 AM

You will make more pursuing that geology career. Once you get into a mine, look at getting a mine rescue ticket and learning some rope rescue stuff. Fun to practice, but not so much fun if you need to put those skills to the test.