Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM

Default Stained concrete floor

I stained my garage floor with a water based stain. Eco-stain from hard rock developments in calgary. As per instructions i was to clean and profile [ etch or rough up the surface] with a liquid product SCR. From what i gather a smooth surface will not let the stain penetrate. That is why SCR is used.
After all was done the stain just sits on the surface, it did not soak in. I can wipe it off with a rag easily. Not sure if i have to sand the surface or ? Has anyone used this product? It is a very user friendly product compared to an acid stain, if it works? Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Concrete stain

I used that stain and I'm not that happy with it. The real acid stain works much better but it's full of nasty stuff so not used in Canada anymore. Talk to Bryan down at the store and see what he has to say. I'm under the impression that the top sealer you use will adhere the stain to the floor.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:53 AM

There is a chance that some acrylic sealer was applied to the concrete prior to you attempting to stain. If so the stain cannot penetrate the sealer thus the stain won't reach the concrete it self. The sealer could have been applied several years ago or perhaps when the concrete was poured. I have done many stain jobs over the years. Acid stain is a better product but not as easy to work with. Yes you can still obtain acid stain but it won't help unless the sealer is removed.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Default Concrete stain

Thanks for the replys. The shop floor is 3 years old and yes i sealed it, with northlands cure and seal. I questioned byron about the sealer. That is why i used the scr [super concrete renovator] , I dont feel the scr worked that well. However the concrete has a polished finish. Nice but slippery.
And even without the sealer any stain would not penetrate well .
Old 03-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Default Stain

There you go, if it's sealed you're pooched.