Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 PM

Post Thinking about a Cam Am quad.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how these machines are and about their reliability.
thanks
Robert
Old 03-20-2016, 12:12 AM

I've personally put 5000 km on my 400 max XT in the snow and mountains. Only one breakdown at my fault...freaky circumstances... I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. The max XT is truly remarkable in steep terrain!

Just remember, quad opinions are like belly buttons...everyone has one!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:28 AM

Stompers right. It's like asking what's a better truck? Ford chev dodge. Everyone has their favs and good reasons as to why.
I like the can ams. Never had them but good buddies have.inliked riding theirs. Lots of power, cool features. But it seems when they needed work that warranty didn't cover or warranty ran out, they were pretty pricey to fix. Compared to the cost of parts for my Hondas and kawi's anyways.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Banned

Best machine on the market.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 AM

I've got an 08 800 renegade, and it's been flawless other than a small antifreeze leak that is an easy fix. 3500 km. 2008 was the last year they were made in canada. If I was in the market for another quad, I'd wait for a low km 500 max 2007 or 2008. The new ones are insanely expensive.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 PM

I'm forced, through taxes, to give Quebec enough money. I sure as heck am not going to give them more by choice. IMO Any Albertan, in this economic climate, should give it some thought.

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 03-20-2016, 01:17 PM

Great sport bike but if you need reliable and must get out of bush ride or you hunt alone etc, get a Honda. If you always ride with others Can Am is fine. Expensive to fix and a bug er to work on, which is true of the Kawasaki too, but they cover ground like crazy.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 PM

Love the canam.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Banned

Can am can send a bad one out the factory door just like all the rest, each make has its own unique characteristics, Polaris has a fantastic ride only average power, can am has great power and only an average ride unless you get the adjustable suspension, which potentially is another item to go wrong. I have a xtr 1000 can am,, love it, also had two Polaris machines, loved them, had a Yamaha that was good as well. Had a Honda, worked great and everyone else got rest time waiting for me to catch up but I always got there, then had to rest my back all day the next day. The nicer the quad,means a premium price usually. My xtr with tracks is crowding 18 grand, that's three nice used quads that get lots of the places I go but certainly not everywhere, it's all a give and take, don't mater which one you get.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 PM

I have a 2014 800 outlander. Power is great, it handles like it's on rails and is the best riding quad I have rode. Having said that it is the worse POS I have had to work on. It is not built as tough as a Honda or even a Polaris. In order to get at the drain plug on the gearbox you need to remove the right running board. It only needs about 20 bolts and screws to come out just to get the running board off. Bottom line if you don't mind doing some wrenching they are fine. If you just wanna turn the key and go buy a Honda.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:12 PM

I've had my 06 outlander 800 since 2007, beat the snot out of it, nothing but mudding and abuse, and the only fixes I've had to do were self inflicted. I don't think a guy can go wrong with can am, but the price tag wasn't quite as hefty back then either
Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 PM

If you spend a lot of trail time alone....get a Honda. We have 2 at the cottage, a 1992 250 2 wheel drive and a 1994 350 4 wheel drive. I would love to get a new one, but just can't justify it. They never break. The only fixes required are oil changes, break jobs (worn out), tires (worn out), and the occasional spark plug change....
Old 03-20-2016, 08:22 PM

I've got a XMR 1000, my opinion is lots of power, cool gadgets, tons of grease nipples (18 to tend to every time out is recommended), have to keep them clean (my airlines (plastic) had some debris in and around them, melted a hole in the line back in the bush) lost air/shocks bent both stabilizer bars, way too much plastic, looks great through! I just haven't had the best luck with mine.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:43 PM

Default Can-AM

Have had a 2014 Outlander 1000 for 3 years. No complaints or breakdowns so far.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM

I'm not sure when they took the the adjustable Air shocks, and adjustable power steering out. Fixed is the way to go, Lots of $$ to switch it over! Mine is the 13, should have known not to buy it the first year on the market!