Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Lady driven???

Why do people still think that when advertising something for sale, adding "lady driven" enhances the quality of the item and improves the chance of a sale?
Based on my all too many years of buying experience, (I only buy used vehicles) in all but a few rare cases, I've often found this to mean that the vehicle was never serviced, the clutch and brakes are toast, the belts have never been changed, the tires are bald, and all fluids and filters are original from the factory.
I will concede that there are some very well maintained "lady driven" vehicles out there and some very dedicated owners/operators but in my 40 years of buying experience, this is the exception rather than the norm.
Just my observations.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:28 AM

I like you observation and tend to agree ha ha ha
Old 03-19-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
Why do people still think that when advertising something for sale, adding "lady driven" enhances the quality of the item and improves the chance of a sale?
Based on my all too many years of buying experience, (I only buy used vehicles) in all but a few rare cases, I've often found this to mean that the vehicle was never serviced, the clutch and brakes are toast, the belts have never been changed, the tires are bald, and all fluids and filters are original from the factory.
I will concede that there are some very well maintained "lady driven" vehicles out there and some very dedicated owners/operators but in my 40 years of buying experience, this is the exception rather than the norm.
Just my observations.

I agree, if someone is foolish enough to stipulate "lady driven" on their ad, I take that as a warning.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Banned

I've also found this to be true.
In 40 years of driving I've only had two new vehicles. One, a 1974 Maverick was burning a quart of oil every 150 miles with only 30000 miles on the clock.
They are harder to find but 'executive driven' is usually good. Generally driven by someone older, they're too busy to drive it much and since they are writing everything off it is usually well maintained.
Now this usually leaves out muscle cars trucks, my last two SUVs have been 'executive drive'...they were both five years when I got them, looked and ran like new and were 1/3 of new price.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:45 AM

2x that- I would be less likely to even want to check out a "Lady driven" vehicle. Many years of interaction with ladies has shown me the majority definitely are less aware of almost anything about their car.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM

I was working in the parkade of a tower condo yesterday, the BMW that drove over one of the traffic pylons that I had set out to provide a safety barrier for my work area was lady driven. On this worksite more than one female has jammed my barricades under their rear tire by virtue of lazy steering input. Essentially it proves that my using the barricades is a good idea, I don't want drivers of such skill levels manouvering close to me when I'm up an 8' ladder.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

I wouldn't buy a car off my wife! I think she hits every pot hole,curb or debri on the highway.Don't ask her where the dip stick is either.Recently I noticed a rattle,she said oh its been there awhileI said that rattle could mean a wheel was going to fall off! A friends wife was driving and the oil light came on so she pulled over and the light went off so she kept driving,BOOOOM the engine went.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
Just my observations.
A licensed mechanic for 30 years , I can tell you without a doubt , most vehicles driven exclusively by a woman have the WORST basic maintenance history after warranty expiry than any other demographic of motor vehicle owners ,

Except maybe converted trucks like Toyota and Nissan ( armoured vehicles ) ISIS romps around the sand dunes on,,,,,
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 AM

" FOR SALE2005 on road/off road enduro bike .
Runs well starts great. lady driven - only rode it on Sundays"

You, only ridden Sundays- of course, Enduros are only RUN on Sundays the most part!!

The other one I love is the one for sleds and bikes that states " never raced"Soooo, that means it was bag driven and never serviced??"!
About the same as a gun that was "never hunted and only shot targets" doesn't man that didn't have 100 rounds fired through it in 1/2 our shooting at tin cans!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-19-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

Then you show up to have a look at it and Caitlin Jenner is standing there.... # confused lol
Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 AM

The women can manage car maintenance as good as any man, they just choose not to....

Last edited by Morbius131; 03-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Banned

In my experience most "lady drivers" interiors are disgusting.
They never clean their cars.

My truck on the other hand gets cleaned at least once a month.
If not every two weeks
Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
You all are MALE CHAUVINISTS!!!! The women can manage car maintenance as good as any man, they just choose not to....

Those would be the single ladies
No man in their life making sure the vehicle is looked after.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
You all are MALE CHAUVINISTS!!!! The women can manage car maintenance as good as any man, they just choose not to....
what oil and filter do you use? Do have a preference for brake pads eg: full metallic or semi?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehole View Post
what oil and filter do you use? Do have a preference for brake pads eg: full metallic or semi?
Oil- extra virgin oil for salads and canola or grape seed oil for cooking.... Filter? I don't use filter....brake pads? I know Maxi pads, wing pads but I don't know brake pads... Are those used in between breaks in your periods?
Buddy, I was sarcastic! Lol!!!! But thank you for playing along!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:19 AM

I just saw this ad in our local 'Buy & Sell' forum, and thought - gee, this lady must ride her bike hard!

2010 KTM 150 xc
$5,000 — Fairmont BC
2010 KTM 150 xc bought new in 2014 , lady ridden , 4 summers - around 150 hrs . Just spent a $1000 getting new piston , piston ring, cyclinder replated (have receipt) Bike come with revalved front and rear suspension by Rider's Edge , 9oz flywheel weight , new 52 Ironman sprocket & Torque Wing ( all for extra bottom end power ) new tires put on last fall , new brake pads , pipe protector, skid plate , hand guards , fork bleeder's , handle bar riser. Bike is in great shape - needs nothing !! Regular maintenance , oil change ever 20 hrs & clutch replaced last summer . $5000 .
Old 03-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

:s Ha_shakeshout::sHa _shakeshout::sHa_s hakeshout::sHa_sha keshout::sHa_shake shout::sHa_shakesh out:
Quote:
Oil- extra virgin oil for salads and canola or grape seed oil for cooking.... Filter? I don't use filter....brake pads? I know Maxi pads, wing pads but I don't know brake pads... Are those used in between breaks in your periods?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Banned

Lady driven = Please buy this thing, I've tried everything else to make this sale, but nothing's working.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I'm lady driven and well looked after.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Lol winner
Old 03-19-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

If not every two weeks
Isn't that the truth, the Mrs keeps a clean house, but her vehicle is a mess. And if I didn't check the fluid levels and air pressures, it would never get done.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:24 AM

When driving I see equal number of bad male and female drivers.

When it comes to servicing I find women service more on there vehicles because shops tend to try and take advantage of women patrons by trying to upsell.

Case and point.

My wife took a vehicle in. Service department said there was an oil leak that needs to be fixed. She talked to the mechanic who recommended it. Very expensive. She called me. I said hold off and I will pick the car up.

When I got there the car was on the hoist. I asked to see the leak. There was a tiny sheen. No dripping.

I said to the guy is the car any worse than others for its age. Said no.

If it was your money would you fix it...stared him in the eye and he hummed and hawd and said no.

We didn't repair. She is better now but my mother in law is being taken to the cleaners this weekend.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
When driving I see equal number of bad male and female drivers.

When it comes to servicing I find women service more on there vehicles because shops tend to try and take advantage of women patrons by trying to upsell.

Case and point.

My wife took a vehicle in. Service department said there was an oil leak that needs to be fixed. She talked to the mechanic who recommended it. Very expensive. She called me. I said hold off and I will pick the car up.

When I got there the car was on the hoist. I asked to see the leak. There was a tiny sheen. No dripping.

I said to the guy is the car any worse than others for its age. Said no.

If it was your money would you fix it...stared him in the eye and he hummed and hawd and said no.

We didn't repair. She is better now but my mother in law is being taken to the cleaners this weekend.
I find that the worst problem is getting a woman to take her vehicle for service in the first place.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 PM

"lady driven" " freshly painted " " selling for a friend " are all code for " buyer beware"
Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

If not every two weeks
Pffffft, cleaning! My truck gets cleaned twice a year, whether it needs it or not! 😃
Maintenance is always done, however, runs great and always has.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM

"Lady driven" is when I hop in my girlfriends car for the first time in a few weeks and say holy smoke how long has it been making that noise? " oh about 3 weeks. But if I turn the radio up you can barely notice!" Then spend an afternoon explaining the finer points of a wheel bearing and the consequences of not changing one In a timely manner
Old 03-19-2016, 07:12 PM

More than 1/2 of the 'women drivers' I see are men.

But you're right about dirty/cluttered cars. My wife can turn the dash of a brand new vehicle into a 10 year old Saskatchewan farm truck in about 10 days!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:59 PM

LOL. You guys overestimate the modern pansy man! Lady driven is still better on average!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehole View Post
I wouldn't buy a car off my wife! I think she hits every pot hole,curb or debri on the highway.Don't ask her where the dip stick is either.Recently I noticed a rattle,she said oh its been there awhileI said that rattle could mean a wheel was going to fall off! A friends wife was driving and the oil light came on so she pulled over and the light went off so she kept driving,BOOOOM the engine went.

if you didn't live in Spruce Grove and me in YYC, i'd swear we are married to the same woman

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-19-2016, 10:43 PM
Gone Hunting

The Parallel park feature on these vehicles never works.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand