Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Banned

Default Pet bereavement

Seems companies are more widely offering this. Good on em.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/trending...ment-1.3495533

"Dr. Lianna Titcombe, director for the Pet Loss Support Group of Ottawa, says it's important for companies to introduce standing policies for bereavement time off for the death of a pet. "Many people who come through the door of the support group see the loss of their pet as significant as the loss of a spouse and many relate it to like losing a child, especially the ones who do not have human children," she says.

While employers are not expected to, it's not uncommon for many to quietly grant bereaved pet owners time off on a case-by-case basis under other paid-time or sick leave policies.

"In many cases, an employee can't perform their best after a loss of a pet. They're not focused. They're just not fully there and need the time to grieve in order to be their best self again," says Victoria-based counsellor and therapist Corrinne Allyson. "
Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM

I can't say that I get too upset when we lose a cat around here. We don't even name all of them. Dogs are a different story though. It won't be long before we have to make the unpleasant decision about my old Lab. Our vet actually has an area for clients to get their composure before they have to leave the clinic.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:11 AM

So i have lost 3 GSP's, 2 to old age one suddenly at 6 yrs old from a heart murmur that we knew about. Been there for 2 others(parents dog and one of mine) when they got the final needle. Yes we were super sad but not once did i see the need for time off. Yet i know a couple girls who's dogs died of old age and it was like their best human friend died. Messed them up. My first thought is this is going a bit far for business owners to have to give time off. I am on the fence about getting time off if a pet dies.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:21 AM

The same people who need bereavement leave when a pet dies are probably the same people who let their pets kiss them on the mouth....pathetic
Old 03-19-2016, 11:25 AM

Our dogs are family, but I wouldn't expect an employer to grant compassionate leave if one of them passed on. That being said, a former employee asked for compassionate leave with pay when his horse died. The same person had asked for compassionate leave three times when his grandmother died. Apparently his memory wasn't all that great, as he only had two grandmothers.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Could be a safety move, a distracted employee could fall into the machinery or something.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Could be a safety move, a distracted employee could fall into the machinery or something.
Lol
Old 03-19-2016, 01:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Sounds to me like yet more paid vacation for a certain segment of the work force
Old 03-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Sounds to me like yet more paid vacation for a certain segment of the work force
Dear Lord, PLEASE make it STOP!!
What's next, my daughter's boy friends's hamster died??
Cat
Old 03-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The same people who need bereavement leave when a pet dies are probably the same people who let their pets kiss them on the mouth....pathetic
I think bereavement leave for a pet is a bit much, but at the same time I would never call someone 'pathetic' for being torn up about losing a pet. I know when I had to put my dog down last year when he got a liver disease, it was tough time for me, as you can get very attached. I'm pretty sure I like my dogs a lot more than I'd like you, with that attitude. And no, I don't let my dogs kiss me on the mouth. They are dogs, not humans, but that's a good thing as most dogs are a lot more decent than some pathetic humans.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Sorry for your loss....
Old 03-19-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
What's next you ask,

My fern died I need a day off, calls in the next day and asks for another day off because the cat died coughing up what was left of the fern...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-19-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
What's next you ask,

My fern died I need a day off, calls in the next day and asks for another day off because the cat died coughing up what was left of the fern...
HEY!! Ferns have feelings too -according to some nut bars ,anyway!
Cat
Old 03-19-2016, 01:20 PM

Honest boss I must be cursed, I know 7 goldfish in one month seems like a lot but I'm really shaken up.
Reminds of a Scaffolder I knew once
Old 03-19-2016, 01:27 PM

Default do tbe paperwork first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
I can't say that I get too upset when we lose a cat around here. We don't even name all of them. Dogs are a different story though. It won't be long before we have to make the unpleasant decision about my old Lab. Our vet actually has an area for clients to get their composure before they have to leave the clinic.
If you can, go into the vet day/days prior to the last visit to get the paperwork and payments done with. Then you dont need to focus on that when all you want to do is go hide in your truck.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Bang on!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Society is turning into a bunch of over sensitive, whining crybabies who look for any excuse to feel sorry for themselves and force others to pick up their slack. There are thousands of people who have loved ones dying, loseing their houses or children in divorces or any number of terrible things happening in their lives. They can't afford to take a day off no matter what and then they have to go to work and pick up the slack for some bliss ninny who is traumatized because Fluffy their half blind arthritic cat finally died. Rediculous.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:27 PM

Where do you draw the line? Some pets last months. Could you claim that someone hasn't become emotionally attached to a goldfish, but has to a dog? That seems like a discrimination case in the making. Unless someone comes up with a list of "significant pets", lol.

This whole thing is ridiculous. It's completely subjective, and just begging to be abused.

Take a vacation day if you really need time off, but "compassionate" paid time off is ridiculous.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think bereavement leave for a pet is a bit much, but at the same time I would never call someone 'pathetic' for being torn up about losing a pet. I know when I had to put my dog down last year when he got a liver disease, it was tough time for me, as you can get very attached. I'm pretty sure I like my dogs a lot more than I'd like you, with that attitude. And no, I don't let my dogs kiss me on the mouth. They are dogs, not humans, but that's a good thing as most dogs are a lot more decent than some pathetic humans.
x2
Yup, our dog, cat and cockatiel are NOT on the same level as my spouse/children.
I would however likely put them on a level higher than Drake, or some others here.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:46 PM

I would never tell someone they shouldn't be broke up loosing a pet, I know how hard it is to loose them after years of companionship. Never needed time off when they passed but I have taken time off to take care of a dog that was too sick to be on its own. (In 40 years of working I never took a day off for personal sick leave.)

That said, you already have sick leave, holidays and some have banked overtime. If you want time off because you are grieving take what is available already. Additional leave doesn't seem warranted. That said, if an employer wants to provde it, who am I to tell them they shouldn't. It is their money and their staff. Whatever they want to put in place to retain and attract staff is their business.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:13 PM

I agree that time off is a little much. We've canned a few horses and I've helped a vet put one down that hurt herself. Not pleasant but they aren't human beings.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:24 PM

If the employer wants to offer it I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't become some sort of law which requires them to do so. Most places offer sick days, you should probably just use that, or vacation time if you have it. If I were an employer and an employee wanted time off without using their sick days or holidays, I would not be inclined to grant it. If they didn't have any time off to use, I can see a day off being reasonable,although definitely not paid.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Society is turning into a bunch of over sensitive, whining crybabies who look for any excuse to feel sorry for themselves and force others to pick up their slack. There are thousands of people who have loved ones dying, loseing their houses or children in divorces or any number of terrible things happening in their lives. They can't afford to take a day off no matter what and then they have to go to work and pick up the slack for some bliss ninny who is traumatized because Fluffy their half blind arthritic cat finally died. Rediculous.
Took the words out of my mouth. Some people really need to get a Life.

Grizz
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
what he said !
Old 03-19-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Most places offer sick days.
No. It's just the ones who have it and take it for granted that think that. Only the lucky few get to work for places that have sick days, medical, dental, short and long term disability plans, pensions and other benefits. Your average worker will be fired if he gets sick for longer than whatever vacation days he is legally entitled to.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
lol. Don't hold back tell us how you really feel. I am still laughing.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 PM

Oh my friggin God. That's pathetic
Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Right on.. My dog does not lick my face let alone lick my mouth. When he goes a piece of my dies forever. Sorry if you have never felt the unconditional love a dog gives
Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 PM

Having a house full of pets I can see both sides. Would I personally miss a day of work... Not likely as my work does not stop for my personal life. I have my own way of dealing with loss, as does everyone. If someone needs a day would I Judge them, nope... If it was a week absence.. Then it's up to management to decide what to do. Some people, all they have is their pet... Really who are we to judge how someone feels about death?!