Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Keep Your Head High

Right now many honest hard working Albertans are facing insolvency and bankruptcy. Especially in the building trades I hear it a lot these days. These are hardworking honest men who do not live a high life style. If anyone on this forum is contemplating ending it all as they are overwhelmed with the weight of the world, just wait. It's going to get better, it's not going to be all sunshine and roses but the good times aren't all over. Keep your head held high ,get through today,tomorrow is another day don't worry about the future just get through today. Let's all look out for our fellow Albertans today and if you have an extra couple $ buy the guy in the company truck behind you in the line at Tim Hortons drive through a coffee. Its the little things that can have a huge impact. We are Albertans and we will get through this together.

Last edited by ganderblaster; 03-18-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Right now many honest hard working Albertans are facing insolvency and bankruptcy. Especially in the building trades I hear it a lot these days. These are hardworking honest men who do not live a high life style. If anyone on this forum is contemplating ending it all as they are overwhelmed with the weight of the world, just wait. It's going to get better, it's not going to be all sunshine and roses but the good times aren't all over. Keep your head held high ,get through today,tomorrow is another day don't worry about the future just get through today.
Good timely post.

As my aunt used to say, take life year by year, if that don't work, month by month and so on down the line till the weight is something you can handle.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

I just caught up on this one and yes, no reason to give up. I'm seeing this on a daily basis now and it's not a good feeling to see good people loose their possessions, Seen an ambulance in the am the other day down the way. Now a storage container, plug pulled ? Duno but no material possessions or situations could possibly be bad enough to part ways in my opinion. Hang in there,you will be fine empires can be built back up again, if your sand castle gets kicked just make a new one down the road
Old 03-18-2016, 08:45 PM

Thumbs up Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Couldn't agree more.
X2 could not have said it better!. It is the little things we can do for others that can have a huge impact. Pay it forword we are Alberta strong and we will get through this.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Good post, I have been to 4 funerals in the last 5 months, very sad. As bad as it is, we all hope we can pull through this dark time and it will get better. As the widow of a friend said " it's just stuff...who cares if they take it?" Her husband ended it two days after the bank advised him that he could sell his house to make payments on his work equipment.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Thank you for a good thread. Chins up people, things will work out.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Default Don't Give up !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I just caught up on this one and yes, no reason to give up. I'm seeing this on a daily basis now and it's not a good feeling to see good people loose their possessions, Seen an ambulance in the am the other day down the way. Now a storage container, plug pulled ? Duno but no material possessions or situations could possibly be bad enough to part ways in my opinion. Hang in there,you will be fine empires can be built back up again, if your sand castle gets kicked just make a new one down the road
Whatever you do hang in there and don't ever give up, I went through this with the Tudeau's& lalonde's NEP. I was a partner in a newer Jr Oil &Gas Company doing very well .... suddenley went south in a big way and aventually had to declare bankrumpcy. Thinks looked pretty bleak for awhile.
Now the GOOD NEWS , thankfully I have a very good wife and she hung in with me and kept encouraging me and we slowly started to recover and eventually turned things around. I am happy to report we recovered enough to have a very comfortable retirement. So I
guess what I am trying to say no matter how bleak things seem don't give up!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 PM

A lot of bad things are happening to good people these days. I too am facing the same struggles and having a run of bad luck (not as bad as others I have read about). But being a sole provider of a family of five has me very nervous. Tonight was my third run in with bad luck, with the tranny of my truck blowing out, and no way to pay for it. I said "eff it",bad luck happens in threes. I am going to buy a lotto ticket, my luck can only get better.....

Let's be strong Alberta and not be D!cks to each other.....

Old 03-18-2016, 11:35 PM

Good post, Really feel for anyone going through tough times right now. We have been going in every day wondering if it will be the last. Few rounds of lay offs have come through. Makes a guy feel sick when you know they are going around.

Thoughts and prayers for everyone who is feeling this now.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:07 AM

Great idea for a thread.
Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:13 AM
Banned

Great post.

I've always had the attitude that no matter how bad things got, they would get worse, BUT then they would get better. That way you're prepared that it will get worse, and you never really know where bottom is, but it will always get better.

One comment about the NEP. It cost me a ton of money as we opened up a business just before it started. It cost a lot of my friends a ton of money. Many of them declared bankruptcy, but I was too proud to do so, downsized by house, cars, etc. and paid back the bank over many years.

I should have declared BR also... they recovered much faster than I did. Their lives were less stressful than mine for years.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:45 AM

Well written.
We just took another pay cut at work, this is the third one now. We are having layoffs every other week. Its a matter of time until we are on the EI summer golf team.
Your right its the small things in life that make a difference. It can always get worse.
If your feeling down and need to chat there is always someone on this forum post up and get some help from the great folks here. Remember no matter how bad it gets, it will get better. Plus you don't want to miss hunting season.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 AM

Forget about identifying ones self with your job too, gotta remember it is just a job. Think of all the things you do when you arent at work, that is your life. You essentially get your life back when you lose a job. Companies hire and fire on a whim, cant take it personally or put much stock into it. The place i am at is trying to put the screws to us because they know they can with the sub par job market, some sort of petty revenge for the good times or something.

No work equals freedom and time with loved ones/family.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Forget about identifying ones self with your job too, gotta remember it is just a job. Think of all the things you do when you arent at work, that is your life. You essentially get your life back when you lose a job. Companies hire and fire on a whim, cant take it personally or put much stock into it. The place i am at is trying to put the screws to us because they know they can with the sub par job market, some sort of petty revenge for the good times or something.

No work equals freedom and time with loved ones/family.
When the pay cheque stops the bills don't.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 AM

Good post...I was an electrician in the oilfield for almost 3 years. Being a young apprentice I didn't save it..but luckily I had my daughter last year and that taught me and my gf a thing or to about responsibility....I finally got laid off 2 weeks ago.the company had gone from 50 field electricians to 8 by the time they cut me..I was fortunate enough to find a job doing commercial last week (ice district) but this oil slump has me nervous for the next year or 2. Just keep your head up everyone, I have been home alot the last 4 months since my daughter was born and I wouldn't trade that for anything...
Cheers
Old 03-19-2016, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Keep plugging away people, learn from this and in the future don't repeat the financial mistakes you made in the past, things get better with time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2016, 08:39 AM

I hear the sentiment, but it's not the guy behind you in the Timmies line that needs the help. It's the guy who cut coffee completely out of the budget and has parked his vehicle for all buy necessity(and hasn't been fishing all winter) because bills have got to be paid and savings won't last forever.

Call up an unemployed friend and take them out for breakfast or lunch and talk to them if you can. Isolation is apart of depression so include people down on their luck when you can.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I hear the sentiment, but it's not the guy behind you in the Timmies line that needs the help. It's the guy who cut coffee completely out of the budget and has parked his vehicle for all buy necessity(and hasn't been fishing all winter) because bills have got to be paid and savings won't last forever.

Call up an unemployed friend and take them out for breakfast or lunch and talk to them if you can. Isolation is apart of depression so include people down on their luck when you can.
Yes this makes sense...good post!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-19-2016, 10:10 AM

We seen to be fixating on those out of work, but the fact of the matter is, that depression affect people at all times , working or not, ad the economic downturn just tends to trigger these these things.

There has been a rash of suicides at several he sites up here in the last month or two, and all those involved ad jobs!
I certainly don't have all the answers, I just have to try and help those involved.
Cat
Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM

Keep your heads up boys! Lost mine in mid December... Moved back home with my parents in sask.(Im23). Waiting for the CAF to call. It's setting in hard now. Getting pretty bored around the house with not much to do. Looking for a job round here is brutal. Bustin my ass since I was 13 collecting a check with my name on it. With not much to show for it now other than 8k in debt and a car payment. It's been hard keeping positive wondering if I'll get accepted. I'm hoping to get some good time in at the lake this year. Spending my time hitting the gym and running outside (2-5km) and Riding my bike. Keep positive use this time to improve on yourself do what you enjoy to take your mind off not working. Taker day by day and thank the lord the food you got on the table tonight. Cheers folks
Old 03-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default head up

Everyone is in the same boat in AB. If it helps anyone out I heard Strike Energy Services will be taking on a huge project out of North Battleford I believe.

Suicide destroys families,my bro-inlaw took his life 19yrs ago and his birthday just passed,its still a tough time for everyone. Everyone goes through tough times but I have learned that things always work themselves out in the end!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Right now many honest hard working Albertans are facing insolvency and bankruptcy. Especially in the building trades I hear it a lot these days. These are hardworking honest men who do not live a high life style. If anyone on this forum is contemplating ending it all as they are overwhelmed with the weight of the world, just wait. It's going to get better, it's not going to be all sunshine and roses but the good times aren't all over. Keep your head held high ,get through today,tomorrow is another day don't worry about the future just get through today. Let's all look out for our fellow Albertans today and if you have an extra couple $ buy the guy in the company truck behind you in the line at Tim Hortons drive through a coffee. Its the little things that can have a huge impact. We are Albertans and we will get through this together.
Very well said, and couldn't agree more!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We seen to be fixating on those out of work, but the fact of the matter is, that depression affect people at all times , working or not, ad the economic downturn just tends to trigger these these things.

There has been a rash of suicides at several he sites up here in the last month or two, and all those involved ad jobs!
I certainly don't have all the answers, I just have to try and help those involved.
Cat
This!

I have noticed the same thing, I seem to be pretty secure at my job, yet get feeling trapped.

Things bug me more just because I don't have the option of going down the road if I don't like the policies any longer.

Not a lot has changed. But negative news and discussions is all it takes.

Everyone needs to look after everyone. We are all susceptible to depression at any time.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 PM

I understand times are tough and some people don't cope as well as others but suicide is the most selfish thing a person could do. Sure it solves your problem but creates so many more for people that care about you. If someone I cared about did that I'd be hard pressed to even go to the funeral.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 03-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1797 View Post
I understand times are tough and some people don't cope as well as others but suicide is the most selfish thing a person could do. Sure it solves your problem but creates so many more for people that care about you. If someone I cared about did that I'd be hard pressed to even go to the funeral.
Suicide might be selfish from your point of view but people who resort to that option are very sick people, nobody knows what's going on in someone's mind to choose that route and I doubt they have a grasp on reality at all.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
Suicide might be selfish from your point of view but people who resort to that option are very sick people, nobody knows what's going on in someone's mind to choose that route and I doubt they have a grasp on reality at all.
If you've been living the good Life for ever and don't know any other, the new Reality can be a real downer.

Grizz
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 PM

I know I'm probably coming off like a cold hearted ***** but why is it that a few bad things happen and suddenly people are "sick"....I disagree...it's the easy way out for someone who can't accept the fact that sometimes if isn't fair.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1797 View Post
I know I'm probably coming off like a cold hearted ***** but why is it that a few bad things happen and suddenly people are "sick"....I disagree...it's the easy way out for someone who can't accept the fact that sometimes if isn't fair.
You can be on top and still be depressed. It's not 'a few bad things happening' and it has absolutely nothing to do with fairness. It's a chemical imbalance that distorts your perception. It's not something you just snap out of, or decide to change one day. Depression is not just being sad, it runs a gambit of emotions from anger, frustration, anxiety, loneliness, melancholy, sadness, madness, deep loss and anything and everything in between. cyclical depression is much worse because every time you're up you remember that you were once down, and every time you're down you know the next time you're back up will only end with you being back down. It requires endurance to cope with, and eventually people will run out, fall down and not have the strength to pick themselves back up.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post