Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Nestle sues Blue Buffalo over food formula.

Nestle says that there is 22 and 25 % of chicken meal in diet that Blue advertises as free of any " meals"

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.co..._CJ%20(1)%20B&

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 05-13-2014, 08:42 PM

I have tried my lab on blue but it gives him itchy ears. He will be up all night shaking his ears so I threw the blew buffalo out. He does well on Go turkey.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM

If their claims are substantiated, Blue Buffalo has pulled the wool over many people's eyes.

My dog gets plain old Iams she likes it and is healthy. My mom cooks 100% of her dog's food, a 1:1:1 ratio of ultra lean ground beef, mixed veggies and rice. I think it's ridiculous but it makes her happy.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Banned

Pot meet kettle, it's profits over pets - they don't care about your animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
If their claims are substantiated, Blue Buffalo has pulled the wool over many people's eyes.
Unfortunately, the wool has been pulled over peoples eyes for years by all the major food companies. You mention Iams dog food, great stuff if your dog was designed to eat corn.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Every couple of years a large, thought to be quality, manufacture gets called out for things like this. No surprise here even though I've never tried it. We had the same issue with a family pet long ago when ProScience was considered top of the line..

My dobie gets Mountain Dog Food. By no means do I think it's the best, but I hope they hold to their labels and ingredients. I know it sure costs me an arm and a leg/month (~160$/month).
Old 05-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Pot meet kettle, it's profits over pets - they don't care about your animals.

Unfortunately, the wool has been pulled over peoples eyes for years by all the major food companies. You mention Iams dog food, great stuff if your dog was designed to eat corn.
Have you ever fed Iams? Or maybe you've had the wooly eyes.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Have you ever fed Iams? Or maybe you've had the wooly eyes.
Why yes Red, I have fed Iams - and ol roy, and every other cheap ass pet food on the market trusting what we've been told over the years. There's a reason I won't go near the stuff anymore, I sit and think about all the dogs I had over the years, the issues that they had with health - and I have to wonder was it me causing it due to the food I was forcing them to eat.

The gf has a purebred minpin, great example. Was being fed iams poultry based food for the 2.5 years of his life, high carbs and low protien - that dog was sick, fur falling out in patches, scratching all the time, coat looked like crap. Yeah, he was surviving on the food - not thriving. He's now being fed a combonation of acana and orijen with much raw meats (beef, chicken, and pork). Now he's a lean healthy dog full of energy, thriving - not just surviving.

Now mind you, her min pin is only 9 pounds and cheap to feed.

They have a lab/husky cross that is being fed ol roy - another garbage food and i'm trying to change that. This dog eats twice a day and not huge portions, fairly active but can't lose the 15+ extra pounds she's carrying. She gets at least one good walk per day, and 3 times a week we're at the dog park and she'll run a good 6-10 km or more.

Can you tell me why she won't lose the weight? Could it possibly be the high carb food?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Gone Hunting

SD . I have no idea why the dog can't lose weight. If I did, I'd take my own advice and apply to it to me.

Re: the Iams. I trialed and hunted labs hard for many years on Iams. I reaised a few litters on it as well. Vet said the pups and mom were the best condition and healthiest he had seen. My working dogs did great on it.

I have the odd dog in for training and ask the owner to supply the food to keep things constant. Last dog ate Canin at $80 for a bag. 16KG I believe. Current trainee gets Acana. Both dogs turn their noses up at their foods and would go after my dogs food everytime the option is offered.

Dogs are different as humans are. what works for one may have different results for another. There are lots of 'experts' who have never taken a real course in K9 nutrition but have access to google. They spend a lot of time beating the drum for this or that. Let you dog tell you what works for him/her. Health. coat, energy etc. are all indicators.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
SD . I have no idea why the dog can't lose weight. If I did, I'd take my own advice and apply to it to me.

Re: the Iams. I trialed and hunted labs hard for many years on Iams. I reaised a few litters on it as well. Vet said the pups and mom were the best condition and healthiest he had seen. My working dogs did great on it.

I have the odd dog in for training and ask the owner to supply the food to keep things constant. Last dog ate Canin at $80 for a bag. 16KG I believe. Current trainee gets Acana. Both dogs turn their noses up at their foods and would go after my dogs food everytime the option is offered.

Dogs are different as humans are. what works for one may have different results for another. There are lots of 'experts' who have never taken a real course in K9 nutrition but have access to google. They spend a lot of time beating the drum for this or that. Let you dog tell you what works for him/her. Health. coat, energy etc. are all indicators.
I never EVER claimed to be a dog food expert. 1+1=2, and dogs can't process corn and most grains - that's the filler in these foods.

I'm not going to tell you what to do with your dogs. You want to feed, go for it. I'm not judge, jury or executioner.

Most cheap dog foods are junk food - fat and sugar. That's why many go for it, dogs can be junk food addicts just like humans.

Put a salad and a McDonalds meal in front of a kid and tell them to choose. Most will choose the junk food.