Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2014, 06:58 AM

main hobby is sheep hunting
but over the next few months im getting back into salt water reef tanks
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Dragonflies. Catch them, identify them, release them (most of the time), photograph them.
Catch them,rough them up a bit,get info on what the horseflies are up to.....I get you.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Besides from all my outdoor passions, I write. My major is biological sciences, but my minor is creative writing. I enjoy writing poetry, fiction and non-fiction is my spare time.
{A poem for you}
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some things rhyme
And some things don`t.

You are welcome.
P.M. me if you need inspiration,I`m full of it.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 AM

I see none of AO's amateur proctologists have checked in yet.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:44 AM

Knife making
Old 02-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Now that`s kinda creepy.Are you lonely?
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Now that`s kinda creepy.Are you lonely?
Na, I ain't as anal as some bad poets who claim to be full of it.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
{A poem for you}
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some things rhyme
And some things don`t.

You are welcome.
P.M. me if you need inspiration,I`m full of it.
I'll be sure to use that one (with proper citation); my prof will unquestionably be impressed.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 AM

I play with guns year round. I buy a gun that could use some TLC, refurbish and refinish it, get it to shoot MOA or better. Then I get bored with it, sell it and start over again. Also reload, sharpen and accumulate older knives.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 AM

I like to play my Gretch or Strat guitar ,However dont seem to get the time to do it enough.Mostly a motivation thing.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:50 AM

I teach dogs to fetch things I shoot.

Takes more time than you think!
Old 02-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Photography, I make little clay things with sculpey, and shoot things.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Camp stove and lantern collecting and repairing. Also collect some different knives, camping equipment, enamel cookware and gardening/pond keeping during the summer
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Odd really when you think about the plethora of targets here.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Odd really when you think about the plethora of targets here.
Now ^THAT is FUNNY! Good one, Redfrog.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Shaving has kind of turned into a hobby for me. I have about twenty modern DE razors, some straights, some old Gillettes, brushes, soaps.. I get to play with my hobby everyday and like shaving because it's fun.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfrog View Post
odd really when you think about the plethora of targets here.
**lmao**
Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad66 View Post
So I am interested in a number of different hobbies. Some are traditional others not so much. Right now I am in the process of setting up a pottery club which will start in about a month. I currently get clay and glazes from Plainsman's Pottery in Edmonton. I would very much like to be able to source and refine local clay to use and will start prospecting clay this spring. I am also interested in using natural sources of feldspar, shale, limestone and granite which can be further refined into glazes to cover the pottery. What's your odd pastime?
I'd be interested to hear if you find a spot for natural clay's. I seen a cool thing on pinterest where someone made their own chiminea with wire mesh and a yoga ball to help form it, then some additives and fired it, was thinking that would be a neat project.

As for me, why do one or two things really well well you can do a whole bunch half-assedly, but here's some projects I'm doing that I think are really neat:

my ongoing truck project: 89 japan imported 4 door hilux, landcuiser drivetrain, compound turbo 3.4 diesel, working on a one off dual transmission setup:

AutoCAD and have someone waterjet winchester levers, working on some savage bolt handles now:

house stuff: stained glass backsplash with inserts for spice jars in the wall, in progress:

built a stock for a 45-70 converted enfield out of zebra wood the other year, gonna change the shape of the stock a bit when I get it back from the smith who is mounting a NECG front site right now:

one for another rifle out of boxelder I havent finished, made some barrel bands out of SS as well, the rear one with a sling loop, hard to see in the picture:

make knifes, well actually just knife handles, buy the blanks cheap off ebay and get some brass rivots from lee valley:

made a coffee bar the other week, painted steel and purple heart wood, gonna do a stained glass backsplash someday for it too:

How's that?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Beautiful woodworking skills you have.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Beautiful woodworking skills you have.
Not hard to make something pretty out of something that's already pretty. The boxelder burl wood I used I actually cut a slice off the neighbors tree to put the fence in, but it's an incredible looking wood with a few coats of tru oil. I dont think anyone will ever see a piece of furniture like that on another rifle anywhere which makes it interesting. Plan is to sand blast the action, swap the barrel for a 30-30 one I have and get it all nickel coated sometime this year. Might be too pretty to hunt with though.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
I'd be interested to hear if you find a spot for natural clay's. I seen a cool thing on pinterest where someone made their own chiminea with wire mesh and a yoga ball to help form it, then some additives and fired it, was thinking that would be a neat project.

As for me, why do one or two things really well well you can do a whole bunch half-assedly, but here's some projects I'm doing that I think are really neat:

my ongoing truck project: 89 japan imported 4 door hilux, landcuiser drivetrain, compound turbo 3.4 diesel, working on a one off dual transmission setup:

AutoCAD and have someone waterjet winchester levers, working on some savage bolt handles now:

house stuff: stained glass backsplash with inserts for spice jars in the wall, in progress:

built a stock for a 45-70 converted enfield out of zebra wood the other year, gonna change the shape of the stock a bit when I get it back from the smith who is mounting a NECG front site right now:

one for another rifle out of boxelder I havent finished, made some barrel bands out of SS as well, the rear one with a sling loop, hard to see in the picture:

make knifes, well actually just knife handles, buy the blanks cheap off ebay and get some brass rivots from lee valley:

made a coffee bar the other week, painted steel and purple heart wood, gonna do a stained glass backsplash someday for it too:

How's that?
Nice work! You are a handy fellow.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:

AutoCAD and have someone waterjet winchester levers, working on some savage bolt handles

[

[UURL]

[

How's that?
GET A JOB HIPPY!

Joking. Beautiful work.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 PM

I like some of these hobbies. Nice skills for sure.

I've taken up painting/art. I've ruined about 15 perfectly good canvases now but I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

Here are a couple of the most recent attempts. For the painting in the first photo I used only a foam brush method and in the second photo I'm back to brushes. I'll stick to brushes.

The second is less than half finished. So there's plenty of opportunity for me to completely ruin it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20140128-00405.jpg (28.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20140202-00407.jpg (19.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
GET A JOB HIPPY!

Joking. Beautiful work.
Haha, haven't been called a hippy for a while, but some friends say I'm a hybrid hippy/redneck, but for every project I finish there's about 4 I start and forget somewhere in my garage or basement, and I do got a job, 50 hours a week right now to bank some time off for my hilux project in the summer!

Anyway, it's someone else's turn for show and tell I think, let's see some pic's!

Edit: Dave, I like the pictures, the first one makes me think of that movie "fire in the sky", kinda spooky in a way.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM

Night photography

Teaching myself metalwork on my lathe, mig, tig, plasma, break, shears, gave up on the cnc mill and turret punch, took up too much room while not being used.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Dave, I like the pictures, the first one makes me think of that movie "fire in the sky", kinda spooky in a way.
Thanks!

And yep, don't go to the light. Get back in the truck or get left behind.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Placekicking a football. It's cheap, easy, and relaxing. Nothing beats nailing a 40 yard feild goal in a still crosswind. My wife thinks I'm weird.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

How's that?
That's some amazing stuff. I love the stained glass back splash.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 PM

Astrophotograpy and just started to learn the Bagpipes ( yes i live on an acerage)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedblac View Post
Astrophotograpy and just started to learn the Bagpipes ( yes i live on an acerage)
Loons (well, in Ontario anyway) seem to come for miles around to watch a piper on the waters edge...

Oh - I am talking the birds here...