Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Mountain Aire Lodge burned to the ground

Heard this on the news this morning. Any one hear more about the cause of the fire?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Just read it in the herald online. All they said is that it was "suspicious"
Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 PM

I heard the suspicious part and it's easy to say that, but it was a very old building, renovated many times over the years and I'm sure a lot of the renos were make do, rather than do it right. Apparently, the Mustard Seed was going to tear it down and re-build anyway. Maybe, Paul Brand will kick in another million bucks. The nearest fire department is the volunteer service in Sundre and by the time taken to get there, there would have been little left.
Grizz
Old 07-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I stayed at the lodge a few times and ate more than a few meals there. When flying wildlife surveys we would sometimes land near by and walk into the lodge for lunch.
Hope they rebuild it but the history and atmosphere is gone.

Robin in Rocky
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

That place was up for sale a while back with no buyers , l think in the right hands it could be a gold mine , maybe build a few cabins and a pool , and ADVERTISE , and hire a good chinese cook.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM

Man I will miss that old dump only reason I ever stopped was to look at the black board with the game count and buy some stale chips YaHa just wont be the same
Old 07-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Default I hope they rebuilt it

I've been going to mountaineer lodge since i was a kid I hhunt the forestry quite a bit and hve had many lunches and the odd fuel stop there. Its just part of the attraction to the area. It'll will be sad if its gone forever.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 AM

To me, the charm vanished a long time ago. When I first went there, in the early 70's, they still had a mechanical shop on the south side of the building and the owners hunting trophies, including a cougar graced the walls. It was owned for a while by a country singer, Roy Warhurst[never heard of him before], and for a number of years by the Holmes. Then following another ownership change, it was sold to the Mustard Seed for 1,000.000. Scutlebutt claims the money was put up by another country western singer, Paul Brand.
The most interesting to me was the story of George Bugbee and the huge Grizzly he killed on Wilson creek, just north of the lodge, posted on the wall. There was also a picture of a guy with a huge ram he had killed. Always wondered where. Then there was the Ukranian bear trap and the Ukranian chain saw.
As the ownership changed, the place became progressively more rundown and decrepit, probably because no one could or would spend the money to upgrade it decently. We finally stopped going there after we spent an outrageous amount for a horrid greasy mess of french fries and some really bad coffee.
An AGT employee once told me the pay phone, outside the building, had the distinction of being the least cost effective one, in the entire province. It cost a fortune to opererate it on an annual basis and the revenue was extremely limited. The only reason it was there because political pressure was on to keep it for emergency purposes.
My favorite Mountainaire memory is the time the lodge owner's wife gave me a tip that helped me fill my grizzly tag. The bear was supposed to be as big as a horse, so we had to stop on the return trip and show how big it really was. She bought coffee.
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-23-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Since Mustard seed took over they had been doing a pile of renovating and cabin building. It was starting to look like I might stay there when working out there again.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
There was also a picture of a guy with a huge ram he had killed. Always wondered where.
Grizz
If it's the same picture I'm thinking of, he was a dentist from the states somewhere. He killed it with Bobby, up at the park chute.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Some one lit the lodge on fire at 5 am.
they have found the person that did it.
right now i heard they are up and running again they got temporary building up.
they are planing the new lodge right now. its going to take about 2 years. its going to be huge. i heard they are going to take in campers, oil poeple and other people to ask them what they want in the new lodge.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 PM
Banned

Call me a dumbarse but what/where is mountain aire lodge??
Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 AM

Default Mountain Aire Lodge still a mystery?

On July 20, 2008 my brother and I and a friend hiked Eagle Mtn in YHT. We arrived at Mountain Aire Lodge around 530 pm that afternoon and were thinking of having supper there like we had many times before when Holmes owned it. Three long haired fellows come out to the till to take our order and we decided to get a dusty bag of chips and a can of pop and keep truckin'. There was no one else in the lodge at the time..we heard 2 days later that it burned down that night....really sad that the history is gone. Did they ever find out the cause?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 AM

Hey you know your the first person to post on this thread in 11 years right?
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 AM

I was thinking, “again”?

TBark
Old 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM

Default Gotta Get Posts Up

Wonder what he wants to sell?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 AM

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.

Last edited by waldedw; 02-18-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned

You know the interest isn't genuine when the answer to his question was in post #11 & 13. Coming soon to a buy and sell post near you.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
You know the interest isn't genuine when the answer to his question was in post #11 & 13. Coming soon to a buy and sell post near you.
I heard the asking price was a million bucks. The flood of 2013 damaged what remained severely.

Grizz
Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
I heard the asking price was a million bucks. The flood of 2013 damaged what remained severely.

Grizz
I think we'll see the recent poster in buy and sell before the property
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Miss the place, always stopped there for lunch or supper back in the late 70's early 80's.Spent alot of time hunting back in the 4 corners and other areas around there.Did alot of camping, fishing, snowmobiling,triking and dirt biking also.Was out that way a couple years ago,just not the same without the store and cafe.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:55 PM

We go hunting there all the time. They built a new lodge but I believe mismanagement killed it. The restaurant food was horrible (gave us uncured bacon, bleghhh!), and the bed in one of the rooms reeked of pee. When I let them know, all they said was thanks, and hung up. They had a real spooky guy that would collect the camp fees, and he scared the hell outta me from his haunted stares in my direction, like a predatory look. Really scary dude that was one of the riff raff that works there. I think they have street people trying to clean up living and working there. They closed the motel and gas station. The flood really kicked arse, but there is still a lot of space there. I wish they would at least take down the signs on the way there promising ice cream, snacks, a grocery store, and restaurant. None are there
Old 02-19-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
We go hunting there all the time. They built a new lodge but I believe mismanagement killed it. The restaurant food was horrible (gave us uncured bacon, bleghhh!), and the bed in one of the rooms reeked of pee. When I let them know, all they said was thanks, and hung up. They had a real spooky guy that would collect the camp fees, and he scared the hell outta me from his haunted stares in my direction, like a predatory look. Really scary dude that was one of the riff raff that works there. I think they have street people trying to clean up living and working there. They closed the motel and gas station. The flood really kicked arse, but there is still a lot of space there. I wish they would at least take down the signs on the way there promising ice cream, snacks, a grocery store, and restaurant. None are there
Yes but if you read the description on their website it paints a perfect picture,

Mountain Aire Lodge & Campground Sundre

• | Sundre, AB | T0M 1X0

Overview Send Email

Located right on the Red Deer River, Mountain Aire Resort features a 12-unit motel with a gas fireplace in each room, private washrooms, and video rentals. It also features a year-round, random placement campground with 250 sites. A restaurant and a home-cooked meal can be found at the on-site restaurant. Visitors can enjoy activities like whitewater rafting, quadding, or horseback riding.

Restaurant On Site

Private Bathrooms

Sundre AB T0M 1X0

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Sorry, drug addicts and Homeless don't make good hospitality staff. In the end , that proved to be the downfall of the resort, when one of them decided there were bucks to be made by accusing one of the principals of a politically incorrect action, which proved totally false . The Wild Horse association of Alberta , the Media and the RCMP, played right into his game

Grizz
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 AM

had many breakfast and lunch there built many leases up on the panther working for DBC Contractors good times
Old 02-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
had many breakfast and lunch there built many leases up on the panther working for DBC Contractors good times
Timeline for your last meal there please, if it is still open.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:18 AM

I think first time I ate there was around 1979 and the last was around 1996
Old 02-19-2019, 11:30 AM

was a great place to stop till the seed took over
Old 02-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Suncor used to force us to stay there when we were working on the Panther wells years ago. The guy was a real piece of work. Busted him renting the crews rooms out when the boys had a day off and went back to Red Deer. They came back one morning and were locked out of their rooms (with their personal stuff still in the room crammed into drawers), double billing POS. I promptly pulled the crews out and moved them to town. Usually the guys couldn't get their lunch in the morning because the staff was too drunk to wake up in the morning.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM

If I had the coin I would buy it myself. I know all the right people to put in place there.