Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Grizzly Lake - South Castle Region

Has anyone hiked up to this lake before? It's one of the lakes on the area on my "to do" list before my knees get too old, but I haven't been up there yet.

What was your impression of the difficulty of the hike? It doesn't look to hard, but it looks long. How as the fishing? It's a decent brook trout lake from what I've heard? Your impression of the camp sites?

Any info is appreciated!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Grizzly Lake

I hiked in there about 35 yrs. ago. If I remember right it was not too bad other than it was not a cleared trail at the time and there was no amenities at all. We went in with just fishing gear and caught a few 12 ins. ones. It seems to me it is very close to the U.S. border and there has been a few grizzly around as you can tell from the name Piker
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM

Your looking at over 9km in one way. Definatly an over nighter. Trail is in decent shape. Having a horse would make it easier, but still makable on foot. I haven't fished it myself but did see fish surfacing. Hope that helps.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Hiked in a couple of years ago in Aug. We mountain biked a third of the way, but it was not a great trail for it. Long hike, but we went in and back same day. I'd recommend staying in for at least one night as we only fished an hour. Caught four 12-14" brookies.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Fished Grizzly some 25 yrs ago. At that time there was a jeep trail in, lots of winching to get in but doable back then.
we were the last 4x4 to travel the trail as there was a crawler hoe in there backing out and leveling the trail and putting in a few berms ever so often. Back then there were golden trout in the lake, but understand not any longer. Great country, but as prev. adv. a few G bears. Hoping to do the trip again maybe this summer , but on horseback this time.