Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned

Default Official halibut regs for 2013

Now it is official. Slightly different than what was leaked earlier.

Offical Halibut Notice for 2013
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0087-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (other than Salmon) - Halibut: 2013 Recreational Fishery Opening Date and NEW Management Measures

Halibut Stock Status:

Over the past decade, the Pacific halibut stock has been declining continuously
as a result of decreasing size-at-age and poor recruitment. This stock decline
has resulted in significant decreases in overall total allowable catches (TAC)
in the Pacific from 74.9 million pounds in 2003 to 31.0 million pounds in 2013,
a reduction of approximately 58 percent.

Canada’s overall allocation for 2013 is 7.04 million pounds and the
recreational fishery allocation is 1.080 million pounds.

The objectives for the recreational fishery are:
– to stay within the allocation (TAC),
– to effectively manage, enforce and assess the fishery,
– to follow the guiding principles of the “Vision for the Recreational Fishery
in BC” such as providing stable and predictable opportunities and to share
responsibility for catch monitoring and reporting.

Consultations on the 2013 halibut management options commenced in September
2012 through the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) process and concluded at
the main SFAB meetings Feb 2-3, 2013.

DFO has received and considered the SFAB recommendations. The following
measures will be in place for 2013 and assessed at the end of year as to how
they met the overall fishery objectives.

DFO will be releasing information related to releasing fish safely and in the
least harmful manner as well as the proper packaging and transport of large
fish.

The 2012/2013 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence are
in effect until 23:59 hours March 31, 2013.

2013/2014 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences will be available electronically
in mid to late March. Manual (waterproof paper) licences will be shipped to
vendors as soon as possible for the new licence year.
Further updates on Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences will be provided as
information becomes available.

Coast wide:

Open time:
Effective at 00:01 hours March 15, 2013 fishing for halibut will be opened
coastwide until further notice.

Limits and sizes:

Effective 00:01 hours March 15 to 23:59 hours March 31, 2013, the daily limit
for halibut is one (1) and the possession limit for halibut is two (2), of
which only one may be greater than 83cm.

Effective 00:01 hours April 1, 2013 until further notice:
- The maximum length for halibut is 126cm.
- The daily limit for halibut is one (1).
- The possession limit for halibut is two (2), only one of which may be greater
than 83cm in length.
- There will be an annual limit of six (6) halibut (per licence holder).
- All halibut retained by the licence holder shall be immediately recorded in
ink on the Tidal Waters Sport Fishing licence. The area from which each
halibut is caught and its length shall immediately be recorded on license.

The exceptions to these openings are:

Areas 121, 23 and 123:
Effective 00:01 hours March 1, 2013 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2013:

No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121
outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees
34.000 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes West longitude and
continues south easterly at a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48
degrees 28.327 minutes North latitude and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes West
longitude.

Electronic licence conditions will be continued as follows: “Only a Canadian
resident may fish for or retain halibut under an electronic licence in
management Areas 121, 23 and 123.”

Area 121:
A reminder to recreational harvesters, that the waters of Swiftsure Bank,
inside a line from 48°34.00'N and 125°06.00'W, thence to 48°34.00'N and 124°
54.20'W, thence to 48°29.62'N and 124°43.40'W, thence following the
International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48°29.55'N and 124°
56.20'W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement, are closed to
all finfish, all year.

Note: Rockfish Conservations Areas (RCA’s) remain in effect – refer to the
following website for descriptions:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...ca-acs-eng.htm.

Variation Orders 2013-79 and 2013-80.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact: Glenn Lario 250-720-4447, Devona Adams 604-666-3271, Mark Reagan 250-
627-3409 or Neil Davis 604-666-9033.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0087
Sent February 19, 2013 at 12:09
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the info Jamie.

So, to clarify (in my mind anyways)...keeping in mind that possession must be stretched over at least 2 days (as daily limit is 1 fish):

Last year...possession was 1 fish under 83cms, 1 fish over 83cms (any size).

This year (2013)...possession is 1 fish under 83cms (approx 15 lbs), 1 fish under 126cms (approx 60lbs), with an annual limit of 6 fish max (recorded similar to Springs).

Will this affect the sport fishing businesses on the West Coast? I for one choose to "self guide", but even for me I will no longer make the trek to the coast each year to bring back 2 small fish. My dollars will not be reaching the coast as a result, for gas, food, bait, etc. I will continue to head West to target salmon and halibut, but every 2-3 years instead of each year.

I don't have an answer for the proper way to manage the fishery, but I have to believe that it has to include the commercial sector, where the big females are being harvested and where the by-catch is significant. Was there a similar slot limit applied?

The world has changed. It is time to protect the fishery I guess. Just hoping that every stakeholder was affected to the same degree...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM

I agree with fishmonger, i hope they impose the same regulations on the commercial sector for large halibut. Only fair, if they cut us back, why not them?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Thanks for the info Jamie.

So, to clarify (in my mind anyways)...keeping in mind that possession must be stretched over at least 2 days (as daily limit is 1 fish):

Last year...possession was 1 fish under 83cms, 1 fish over 83cms (any size).

This year (2013)...possession is 1 fish under 83cms (approx 15 lbs), 1 fish under 126cms (approx 60lbs), with an annual limit of 6 fish max (recorded similar to Springs).

Will this affect the sport fishing businesses on the West Coast? I for one choose to "self guide", but even for me I will no longer make the trek to the coast each year to bring back 2 small fish. My dollars will not be reaching the coast as a result, for gas, food, bait, etc. I will continue to head West to target salmon and halibut, but every 2-3 years instead of each year.

I don't have an answer for the proper way to manage the fishery, but I have to believe that it has to include the commercial sector, where the big females are being harvested and where the by-catch is significant. Was there a similar slot limit applied?

The world has changed. It is time to protect the fishery I guess. Just hoping that every stakeholder was affected to the same degree...
For those company's that live and die by the ground fish, I see this as a issue.
For those company's that market to the strictly meat hunters and freezer fillers it will be a issue
For those company's that market to the more sporty type of angler, I believe it won't effect them.

I dont believe This will effect us. It's more important that the season goes into September.
I would rather see 2/day 2 in possession. Get there, catch your 2 Hali and get back to the world class Salmon fishing !

Don't give up on the west coast, go for every thing that can be offered. Enjoy the adventure.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
I agree with fishmonger, i hope they impose the same regulations on the commercial sector for large halibut. Only fair, if they cut us back, why not them?
Browning, this has nothing to do with conservation, it has to do with extending the season.

The issue is just how much has been designated towards the comericial guys. That's where the fight really is.

Jamie

Edit
No the commercial guys have no slot limit.
Each group is allowed a total weight.
We have slot restrictions so that are weight is not exceeded before the end of summer.
Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM

At the risk of offending the moral majority...

I for one do not view halibut as being a fish that I would target and then release for sport. Rightly or wrongly, I target halibut to bring home for the freezer.

Yes, I release fish that does not meet the requirements set out in the regs, however I do not target the species because of their great fight. I target other finfish like salmon for fight.

I consider myself a sport fisherman who enjoys the sport for what it is. My west coast trips are a combination of sport fishing, good times with friends, and meat. Each has it's own role in why I go.

As a result, the new regs will affect how often I can justify my trips to the coast. Unfortunate, but true. Extending the season will have no bearing on the frequency of my trips.

These views are my own. I acknowledge the need for the new regs in an effort to conserve the species, and respect that without them we will be in a world of hurt once the fishery collapses. However I do believe that if breeding females are the issue at hand, they should be protected in both the sport AND commercial sectors...not just in one.

We need to have everyone involved in the solution, or the problem will just perpetuate itself.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
At the risk of offending the moral majority...

I for one do not view halibut as being a fish that I would target and then release for sport. Rightly or wrongly, I target halibut to bring home for the freezer.

Yes, I release fish that does not meet the requirements set out in the regs, however I do not target the species because of their great fight. I target other finfish like salmon for fight.

I consider myself a sport fisherman who enjoys the sport for what it is. My west coast trips are a combination of sport fishing, good times with friends, and meat. Each has it's own role in why I go.

As a result, the new regs will affect how often I can justify my trips to the coast. Unfortunate, but true. Extending the season will have no bearing on the frequency of my trips.

These views are my own. I acknowledge the need for the new regs in an effort to conserve the species, and respect that without them we will be in a world of hurt once the fishery collapses. However I do believe that if breeding females are the issue at hand, they should be protected in both the sport AND commercial sectors...not just in one.

We need to have everyone involved in the solution, or the problem will just perpetuate itself.
Lots of great points FM.
What was the general size you caught this past summer?

I am thinking that the effects should be held to a minimum if people really stop and think.

IF a fisherman only wanted a 100 pounder in 2012, the net meat they take home in 2013 will be under 20 pounds less than last year.

Don't let these guys push you around. Get out there and go fishing. Find a way that makes you comfortable to head out again.

I know with all the conversations I had yesterday and the fact that a buddy nailed 2 winter tyees just of our dock this past week, I can't wait to go again. I love it that much.

I am trying to figure out a excuse to head out there right now.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Couple quick questions....

Another thing that might hurt late summer/fall business is they can shut halibut retention down once a "quota" is met right?

So guys who go fishing in August may or may not be able to retain halibut....is that correct?

I like catching and releasing fish but whern I pay a couple grand to go on a trip I want to bring something home to show for it....

What happens if someone booked a trip and then they hear about the regs and feel it isn't worth going?

LC
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I agree with you....and it is a similar situation to hunting and fishing issues we have here in Alberta.....everyone has a stake in the game and reductions should occur accross the board.

LC
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree with you....and it is a similar situation to hunting and fishing issues we have here in Alberta.....everyone has a stake in the game and reductions should occur accross the board.

LC
It's not a easy fix at all. Fact is the gov has to decide what is more important. Commercial guys
Or
Sporty guys?

Follow the $$$$ and its a easy choice
Sport fishing puts in approx the same amount of $$ into the economy
Yet doesn't take near the toll on the resources.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM

General size of the halibut we caught were 15 to 20lbs. We released a lot of these fish. We did manage one over 100, and a few closer to 40, all of which immediately went into the freezer. All per the regs.

We would normally bring back about 100-150lbs of fillets each per trip. At $12-15/lb, it helps justify the cost of the trip. Thats just halibut, and does not include salmon.

Of course that was back when limits were 3 possession. Lately that has gone down significantly due to the new regs. Last year we brought back about 30-40lbs of fillets each man.

Not a lot of meat in respect to the effort and cost associated with a west coast 7 day trip.

I'm sure many will chime in with opinions about "meat fishermen", but that is exactly how we view saltwater fishing. Great adventure with a bounty of clams, crabs, salmon, ling, rocks and halibut to take us through the winter until our next trip. We only go once a year, and as a result we try and limit where we can. Many will mirror my thoughts, even though few may admit it openly.

In some way, I know "we" are exactly the reason why the fishery is in need of repair. Saltwater fishing is about trophies and meat for the table. Unless that changes, things will probably stay the same...and the fishery will continue to decline. But that is unlikely to change.

...and that is my main point.

Change the commercial fishery in a similar manner, or accept that nothing will change.

...except the amount of times I head to the coast each year

...and the amount of money that I bring out west each year

...and the ultimate success of the west coast sport fishing industry and all the businesses associated with that industry, as a direct result.

(The views expressed here....)
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
It's not a easy fix at all. Fact is the gov has to decide what is more important. Commercial guys
Or
Sporty guys?

Follow the $$$$ and its a easy choice
Sport fishing puts in approx the same amount of $$ into the economy
Yet doesn't take near the toll on the resources.

Jamie
I don't know Jamie, but I believe the sport fishing industry blows the commercial guys out of the water for provincial income. I'm sure we put a lot more money into the economy than commercial fisherman, just in hotels and restaurants alone, not including fuel, tackle etc etc....
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Fish Monger.
I truely believe there is room for every type of sports fisherman.
It's a great resource, one that if properly managed can go on for century's

I am glad you and your group enjoy it so much.

It's something I fell in love with from the very first time I tried it.
I might have even been in love with the sport when I was a kid.
I can remember hearing my grandfathers tales of fishing rivers inlet in the 60's
Or when I would hold his salmon rod in comparison to my own. Or perhaps it was looking in his tackle box and seeing all these weird coloured and Huge plugs.

I can still see my Grandpa heading out the door to head out to Rivers and me begging and crying to come. He got down on one knee and told me he would take me when I was older. Unfortunately I got older and he quit going. By the time I discovered Salmon again he was way past that time.

One of my biggest regrets is that my Grandpa never got to see what we were able to build with Great Pacific.

I believe he would have been incredibly proud both from a business POV and had a hell of a time with us.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't have a normal grandpa. He was incredibly tough, extremely focused on business, you didn't have a valid opinion unless he respected you. His idea of a family man was a guy who put a roof over them.
He would be considered extremely hard core by today's standards. But I can still see him kneeling down and making that promise. It's a treasured memory and one that started this Love affair with the west coast.

Don't give it up, enjoy what you can when you can.
Perhaps we will see you at the Lodge someday. If not be safe out there.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't know Jamie, but I believe the sport fishing industry blows the commercial guys out of the water for provincial income. I'm sure we put a lot more money into the economy than commercial fisherman, just in hotels and restaurants alone, not including fuel, tackle etc etc....
Browning here is the latest report
Good read!
http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/...tml?id=7969625
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie;1857473]Browning here is the latest report
Good read!
http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/...tml?id=7969625[/QUOTE

Good read, but still states it does not include what we spend on the local economy on supplies etc. Plus most of the money commercial fleets bring in are not spent locally and usaully are corporate so most of the money does not trickle down like the sport sector.

By their numbers its a huge difference what we get diveed up for income base to what commercial guys bring in. 13900 people employed in the fishing industy, in which 8400 are from the recreational sector. Thats huge!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=browning375;1857499]
Quote:
Browning here is the latest report
Good read!
http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/...tml?id=7969625[/QUOTE

Good read, but still states it does not include what we spend on the local economy on supplies etc. Plus most of the money commercial fleets bring in are not spent locally and usaully are corporate so most of the money does not trickle down like the sport sector.

By their numbers its a huge difference what we get diveed up for income base to what commercial guys bring in. 13900 people employed in the fishing industy, in which 8400 are from the recreational sector. Thats huge!
Your right. the effect on the BC financial sector is huge. And 1/2 of what is qouted comes from Salt water.

I am going to try and find the original report, not just a review by a news paper.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie;1857564]
Quote:

Your right. the effect on the BC financial sector is huge. And 1/2 of what is qouted comes from Salt water.

I am going to try and find the original report, not just a review by a news paper.
It would be pretty interesting to get the real numbers side by side and see what the sport fishery really contributes compared to the commercial side. I bet we out do them by a fair margin on local spending and actual job creation.

Just look at your operation Jamie, how much $$$ do you contribute to the Rupert area alone, plus people you employ? The sport industry has brought a lot of money back to these communities that once depended on other incomes.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=browning375;1857711]
Quote:

It would be pretty interesting to get the real numbers side by side and see what the sport fishery really contributes compared to the commercial side. I bet we out do them by a fair margin on local spending and actual job creation.

Just look at your operation Jamie, how much $$$ do you contribute to the Rupert area alone, plus people you employ? The sport industry has brought a lot of money back to these communities that once depended on other incomes.
I agree Browning.
I cant find the actual link I saw that showed something about what each individual Salmon brought into the economy.
But if memory serves me correctly
$5 for each commercially caught fish
$700 for each Rec caught fish.

Seems simple to me.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie;1857725]
Quote:

I agree Browning.
I cant find the actual link I saw that showed something about what each individual Salmon brought into the economy.
But if memory serves me correctly
$5 for each commercially caught fish
$700 for each Rec caught fish.

Seems simple to me.

Jamie
That sounds about right. I think im in the range of $1200 per salmon! HaHaha!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM

OK

Sportfisherman this sportfisherman that!

How many guys go sportfishing to catch Halibut?

I havent......yet.

But there are thousands(maybe/probably hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions) of people eating halibut that get halibut from the store. They are my halibut and those peoples too! Remember that part also!

This a factor that people dont consider from the commercial side!

Personally I dont care if you spend $1000.00 per halibut.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
OK

I havent......yet.

But there are thousands(maybe/probably hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions) of people eating halibut that get halibut from the store. They are my halibut and those peoples too! Remember that part also!

How much of the halibut caught in Canadian waters is sold and consumed here? It is shipped all over the world, and not just to your local supermarket. What we are arguing is its our fish, we should have fair share and rights to it as much as the commericial guys do.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Try looking at it from a non sport fishman but fish eater side as well! We(sportfishermen) are but a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-20-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
How much of the halibut caught in Canadian waters is sold and consumed here? It is shipped all over the world, and not just to your local supermarket. What we are arguing is its our fish, we should have fair share and rights to it as much as the commericial guys do.
misread my bad-edit

Its everyones fish

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 02-20-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Banned

Huntsfurfish.
Your going down a dangerous road there.
Take alook back at the hunting history of the west. Once we start putting a marketable value on the price of wild game for consumption, things get ugly.

If not for Sportsmen, we wouldnt have a drop of wildlife left in North America.

The stocks need the Sportsman. The Sportsman is the one who cares about the stock numbers. Time again if we let free enterprise rule, they tend to consume until there is nothing left.

As for the exact Hali issue. You have so many "Slipper Skippers" these are guys that own the rights to the Hali's (Given out for free initially) but now find it more profitable to Lease out the allocations. This is causing some grief.

Total amounts right now are
85% COM
15% Rec

With the Indians getting their needs taken care of first.

I think you could keep the sportys very happy with a 25/75 split. This would allow a year round Hali season and inject even more $$$ into local economies.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
OK

I havent......yet.

Agreed...the lion's share of halibut that is consumed is caught by commercial fishermen.

It follows then, that the majority of fish (halibut) caught are in fact caught in the commercial sector.

My point...if halibut stocks are in trouble, enough trouble that we need to reduce sport fishing quotas, it should stand to reason that we should also be looking at similar restrictions for ALL sectors.

Not sure that is happening to the same degree.

I am all for preserving fish stocks. I do not have the magic answer to solve all the problems associated with the above. And yes, I am a user of the aforementioned fish stocks. However I do feel that we are not doing all we can do if we are allowing big breeding females to be harvested by one group and not the other.

And further to that point...how many big breeders do you think long-liners take versus smaller fish? Bigger boats, deeper water, longer hook sets = bigger fish. Just guessing, but thinking their average fish size is bigger than mine...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed...the lion's share of halibut that is consumed is caught by commercial fishermen.

It follows then, that the majority of fish (halibut) caught are in fact caught in the commercial sector.

My point...if halibut stocks are in trouble, enough trouble that we need to reduce sport fishing quotas, it should stand to reason that we should also be looking at similar restrictions for ALL sectors.

Not sure that is happening to the same degree.

I am all for preserving fish stocks. I do not have the magic answer to solve all the problems associated with the above. And yes, I am a user of the aforementioned fish stocks. However I do feel that we are not doing all we can do if we are allowing big breeding females to be harvested by one group and not the other.

And further to that point...how many big breeders do you think long-liners take versus smaller fish? Bigger boats, deeper water, longer hook sets = bigger fish. Just guessing, but thinking their average fish size is bigger than mine...
From the reports I have read, some think we are at a all time of high of number of Halis. However the general size has dropped.

Perhaps you are correct.
I do know the Com guys are watched very carefully with 24 HR/day cams set up on the boats.

I would like to see that stat as well.

Great conversation with all of you I might add.

Jamie
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Jamie I meant no offence to you or sportfishing businesses or sportfishermen in general. But I get sick of the "entitlement" attitude. Sportfishing $700.00 per fish/$5.00 commercial thing.

I would never say there should be no sportfishing. But 15% sounds pretty darn good. 25% is/should be unjustifiable!

Not a dangerous road - a realistic one.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM

I would like to add that if there are issues all shareholders should play a part to help recovery.

PS Jamie could you pm me what an average price would be for a fishing trip (guided) would be. Retiring soon(end of the month-yahoo) and curious.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie I meant no offence to you or sportfishing businesses or sportfishermen in general. But I get sick of the "entitlement" attitude. Sportfishing $700.00 per fish/$5.00 commercial thing.

I would never say there should be no sportfishing. But 15% sounds pretty darn good. 25% is/should be unjustifiable!

Not a dangerous road - a realistic one.
Hunts...
No offence taken. I appreciate the discusion.
Pm On the way! I think a lifetime of working deserves a great trip in celebration.

Jamie
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Sorry to say it but I'll be passing on fishing on fishing the BC coast this season. Going to Homer Alaska instead.