Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Thx for that...is there anyway these guys can Edit their feedback as well as posts on these sites to make themselves sound better?
Possibly a fraudster could set up mulitple accounts and give his various identities good traders ratings in a back & forth fashion, which is why when I look at trader ratings that were left, I will look to the accounts who left them to check their join dates and post histories etc, unless its a trustworhy long-term or familiar member who rated them.

Good call on toying with the criminal
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM

I had the same thing happen last year. Seen posting...looked at picture the guy emailed me afew. Saying it was a 308 or 30-06 and the scope a Bushnell. I inquired about the scope a bit more as the pics were of one of my rifles and the scope was a Leupold. The guy said the rifle was at his parents house in Sask and he was working in Alberta.

I sent an email to the moderators on the one forum and to the advertisers of a buys sell as warnings. The guys stopped emails. I wish we could of caught this scammer.

I trust buying on AO and CGN. Most of my transactions have been thru the PM and a couple phones calls. It's buyer be wary and ask a lot of questions. I just bought some Sako optilocks on CGN and in December a mint Sako m75ss 270wsm from fellow AO and CGN members. Great guys!

There will always be the scammers. To you guys don't let us good guys find you !!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I received PMs on this forum, and on GunNutz forum (CGN) today, from observant members who were asking what the heck was going on?? I have had a Sako 85 rifle for sale on both forums for a little while, and apparently somebody in Quebec has lifted the pictures of my rifle off the Buy and Sell from one of these sites, and offered the rifle for a fraction of what it is worth ($800). The bogus scam ad is here:

http://www.firearmscanada.com/ads/sa...unter-270-wsm/

If you email and ask for pictures, this person will send you the pictures off my ad here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=725780

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=125748

I can assure you, if money gets sent to this lowlife scum by EMT, you will be left hanging. I suppose this may be the only downside to the LGR being abolished, as you can't get a transfer reference number prior to sending funds anymore......

Just thought I would warn our members to be careful and not get burnt! I think we are going to be seeing more and more of this. Always ask for pics, and more pics. If you ask this Quebec seller for other angles, closeups or what have you, he will make excuses because he doesn't have the rifle to sell you. A legitimate seller will provide you with fresh, multiple angle pictures because he has the firearm, owns it, and is selling it in an honest fashion.

Just thought I'd bring it up, it has probably been mentioned here before, but since it happened to me (my sale) I figured I'd bring it up again!

Regards, TC

Edit: Question is directed at Randy, as he is our local Sheriff, should I report this to the RCMP or other? Let me know, I have copies of emails sent to another AO member, who brought this to my attention.....thanks.
But you can get a license number and confirm that it is valid...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
But you can get a license number and confirm that it is valid...
And the 'seller' will promptly send you the PAL # of someone else's info that they got through their previous activities.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Could it be the person was too lazy (or whatever) to take his own pictures, googled some and used yours to use for a lidgitimate sale on a similar gun? Lots of that happens...
Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Could it be the person was too lazy (or whatever) to take his own pictures, googled some and used yours to use for a lidgitimate sale on a similar gun? Lots of that happens...
If that was the case he could have admitted so when lying about not being able to take more photos due to a broken camera, even though its true he can't take more photos due to not having the firearm at all. Too much of a concocted story for him to be remotely on the level.

Legitimate (sp), just so ya know, not razzing you.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Legitimate (sp), just so ya know, not razzing you.
Doh!! Lol
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM

All of this is not good news for those of us who may want to buy or sell a firearm once in a while and are not particularly strong on computers. When listing, I do not use a pic - mainly because I'm not technically sharp enough with pics and, as well, pics can often be misleading. I try to give a forthright description of what I have, I state in the posting that I do not do pics, that I will only do a face to face deal for cash, and that I will not ship. Given the comments in responses to the OP, no wonder I don't seem to generate much interest. If all a responder can do is ask for pics and shows no sign of wanting to come in person to check out the firearm, then I pretty much dismiss the response as a likely non-buyer anyway. I may be losing some potential buyers, but I have no time/patience to be dealing with scammers. I once had a couple responders that blathered on about how they will send an agent to do the pick up etc., etc. and just dismiss them as scammers. I had a go round the administrator of Firearms Canada about the way I go about screening a responder and the way he was going about his screening of people posting on this site. I'll never use the Firearms Canada site again. To bad because it has a long reach in terms of matching sellers and buyers. I guess all of this is why the old Buy and Sell discontinued dealing in firearms. So what is left for those who occasionally want to sell a firearm?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 AM

Pdog- unless you live 225 miles north of anyone else that is on this forum, there is very likely someone that would help you. Likely there is someone close that would not mind giving you a hand with pictures, which we all know expediates any sale.
If you can get pictures on a camera, we can walk you through the rest. It is only difficult the first time.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM

PDog, I was once like you, but limiting myself to emailing pictures instead of attaching them in my ads. I found that with the number of photo requests that came in it was an annoying chore to forward pics to so many people making requests; once I learned how to set up a Photobucket account and link them in my posts it was smooth sailing from there. Like Ken said, its only difficult the first time..

Some people will avoid scammers by asking for pics with something specific included in frame, like the days newspaper (though who gets those anymore?) or a banana, a pair of socks, a can of beer, a handwritten note or whatever; anything to prove that the seller took the photo. I've done it for someone once. Usually for firearms or such I'll take my photos on my kitchen counter, and/or with a specific green blanket that we have as a bit of a telltale signature. I was thinking another method would be to print out a note with my 'CaberTosser' nickname to place in the photo, but not just on a plain white background that would allow other things to be Photoshopped over it; I'd print it over a background pattern or such.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:03 AM

Default usedfirearms.ca - full of scams

Scam Update: Two ads for the same gun, obvious from the pics it is the same gun, different user names. First time I ever entered this site. Stumbled onto it using google. It's obvious the management of this site doesn't care. I'll attack this from a different angle by sending sponsors of usedfirearms.ca an email disclosing the scams. If I was a sponsor I would not want my business associated with a site that is full of scams.

http://usedfirearms.ca/ads/tikka-2/

http://usedfirearms.ca/ads/one-in-to...-barrel-30-06/
Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Banned

I just want to know when the OP is gonna send me that Sako... collecting the money I paid that other fella is his problem...not mine.

Sorry... long boring night.....
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM

Duane from Calgary, shame shame.

TBark
Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Banned

In another thread, I read that one of the AO members is an internet professional. He had offered his assistance to track down such a scammer using his professional skills. From what I've seen, he's pretty darned good at it. His AO name is Nikanit. Perhaps he can be of help.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 AM

I had the same thing happen to me!! Lucky another AO member brought it to my attention before something bad happened. I tried and tried to call this A-hole left messages and told him I really wanted to by this gun cause it was such a good deal. They never did get back to me tho.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
In another thread, I read that one of the AO members is an internet professional. He had offered his assistance to track down such a scammer using his professional skills. From what I've seen, he's pretty darned good at it. His AO name is Nikanit. Perhaps he can be of help.
I believe that "he" is a lady.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
I believe that "he" is a lady.
oops, apologies. I didn't know.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Scam Update: Two ads for the same gun, obvious from the pics it is the same gun, different user names. First time I ever entered this site. Stumbled onto it using google. It's obvious the management of this site doesn't care. I'll attack this from a different angle by sending sponsors of usedfirearms.ca an email disclosing the scams. If I was a sponsor I would not want my business associated with a site that is full of scams.

http://usedfirearms.ca/ads/tikka-2/

http://usedfirearms.ca/ads/one-in-to...-barrel-30-06/
Here is where the scumbag got the pictures from; the same rifle was listed for sale and sold on 24hourcampfire.com:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...3_Superlight_S
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So is there any safe way to purchase anything off of buy and sell here as well as can? I have made a few purchases but only cash deals and face to face. The buyer seems to have to take most of the risk on these transactions.
I just bought at Tikka off of cgn from a guy in Ontario. He only had 1 trader rating and it was 4 years old. He had answered my want to buy add. I was nervous about sending him the money so I just sent him an email explainging that he had no trader rating and I wasn't comfortable sending the money so I proposed him sending it c.o.d. He was fine with that and a few days later I had the rifle and he had his money.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
I just bought at Tikka off of cgn from a guy in Ontario. He only had 1 trader rating and it was 4 years old. He had answered my want to buy add. I was nervous about sending him the money so I just sent him an email explainging that he had no trader rating and I wasn't comfortable sending the money so I proposed him sending it c.o.d. He was fine with that and a few days later I had the rifle and he had his money.
For me that would be the only way i would do it...or better yet face to face...There is no way I am sending a total stranger any money...work way to hard to give it away and get nothing in return
Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
For me that would be the only way i would do it...or better yet face to face...There is no way I am sending a total stranger any money...work way to hard to give it away and get nothing in return
I've bought/sold ??????? I don't know how many firearms off of CGN and AO buy/sell forums. Always deal with an established profile with a large trader rating. Bought and sold guns in the tens of thousands of $ from the Yukon to Newfoundland and always take the time to talk to the seller on the phone. I have no problem sending money after I have made this contact and have never been disappointed. I won't sell anything unless I get payment by EMT in advance. Seller makes the rules for the sale. You have to be careful.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:57 PM

I hate pay pal, You lose a lot of money to them as a seller and as a buyer there a lot of pay pal scams.
When you want a gun ask for a picture of the gun with a phone or a newspaper showing the same days date.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You could volunteer to try and buy your own gun and see what happens
yeah, but then he'd have the gun....so no crime commited...right?

I can't even spell lawer and I are one!
Old 04-11-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So is there any safe way to purchase anything off of buy and sell here as well as can? I have made a few purchases but only cash deals and face to face. The buyer seems to have to take most of the risk on these transactions.
I only do cash sales. Even if there is cheaper firearms in Nova Scotia.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
C.O.D's don't always work either. The guy can send you just about anything in the box. It's not like the PO is going to let you open it there before you pay for it. You could have paid got a couple of pieces of 2x4's. IMO
Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Smile Way to go guys!

TC you and Silver can do a great job on this guy. If you are short of ideas read 419 eater, but the boys here have lots of good plans.

The dash for cash is always good, get him to go to Western Union or money gram, to pick up his money, ask for a copy of his driver's licence or passport first.

We could chip in and send Randy down to grab the guy.

Dr. Ben Dover is always here to help.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I've bought/sold ??????? I don't know how many firearms off of CGN and AO buy/sell forums. Always deal with an established profile with a large trader rating. Bought and sold guns in the tens of thousands of $ from the Yukon to Newfoundland and always take the time to talk to the seller on the phone. I have no problem sending money after I have made this contact and have never been disappointed. I won't sell anything unless I get payment by EMT in advance. Seller makes the rules for the sale. You have to be careful.
This doesn't always work either. Really high trader ratings in the 100's is just guys selling anything for a profit. On CGN, I've been screwed 4 times already buying small items by guys with established profiles and really high ratings of 150-400. The post a pic but don't disclose everything about the item and when you ask them a question, they don't give you a clear direct answer. Like myself, 99.99% of the guys don't leave a negative rating in fear of getting a negative retaliation rating in return. A guy on CGN just got screwed by a guy with a 30+ trader rating for nearly $4000.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 AM

Default sako85 finnlight scam

there is a guy from concord ont selling a sako 85 270 win 1000 obo on Vancouver island buysell his email is. s garry rlkfirearms@hotmail.com phone number 647 463 8443 cell 613 417 7894 he used a pal and a armed forces id with the name and picture. sean garrison newman.he will talk on the phone as well as by email. his story when you talk to him, is his wife is sick with cancer.when you show interest ,but are sceptical of the risk , he will suggest that he will accept half up front and the other half when you receive the gun . i no its my fault for falling for the scam .I just noticed this thread had I done more investigation earlier I could have avoided scam .he could be using my pal with name Robert james joyce. if anyone sees it being used as proof to sell a gun can you send me a private message.thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrobert View Post
there is a guy from concord ont selling a sako 85 270 win 1000 obo on Vancouver island buysell his email is. s garry rlkfirearms@hotmail.com phone number 647 463 8443 cell 613 417 7894 he used a pal and a armed forces id with the name and picture. sean garrison newman.he will talk on the phone as well as by email. his story when you talk to him, is his wife is sick with cancer.when you show interest ,but are sceptical of the risk , he will suggest that he will accept half up front and the other half when you receive the gun . i no its my fault for falling for the scam .I just noticed this thread had I done more investigation earlier I could have avoided scam .he could be using my pal with name Robert james joyce. if anyone sees it being used as proof to sell a gun can you send me a private message.thanks

If this is legit, I feel for you.
But you have been here almost 2 years and never chimed in on discussion here?
2 years to make your first post?

I'll error on the side of caution here... And use my spidey senses

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
It's buyer beware all the time and if it sounds too good to be true, then it is - no probably to it.

Biggest scammer I dealt with was for a client in Edmonton, $75K for sporting event tickets for his clients. They did this every year, take some clients to the US and have some fun at different events. He did everything right, met face to face with the guys selling tickets - went to BC to meet with them.

Shipped the money to the person in the US, never got his tickets. The people he met with claimed the guy in the US that was given the money skipped out and therefore he was out the money, tough luck. I got a call from BC RCMP asking if there's a way I could track anything through his emails, well sure enough, they are all in BC - nobody was in the US. Sent the info and within 3 hours I got a call from the RCMP saying thanks, they are on the way to the guys' homes. Arrests were made.

Keep your eyes open people, google phone numbers, names, email addresses, any information you have that may show someone is scamming you. Even if you do everything right, you may get scammed.
This.
i fancy myself as thinking i have a little computer/internet know-how.
Seeing as i do that for a living.
Silver is spot on.
Trust no one! Beware everyone.
scamming isn't new. especially on the internet.
Internet Scammers are always 1 step ahead of alot of the internet population.
It is not a new concept it has been happening since the internet began.
Confirm The Product.
Confirm Their Identity.
And Confirm the shipment.

You should not be sending money directly to someone else.
There are many online payment company's that will protect you from fraud..
Be Aware. And Be safe online.

Last edited by ice; 11-08-2014 at 06:04 PM.