Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2008, 02:21 PM

Voted No. I don't presently own a handgun, but at some point in time I will likely inherit the revolver my grandfather carried into France on D-day. (sarcasm on) Canada sure would be a much safer place with that priceless family hierloom confiscated and melted down. (sarcasm off) It would be a nice thing to be able to pass it along to my son.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Ban pistols? What a bunch of BS! Why not ban hypodermic needles they kill more people in Canada than pistols do.

Well the short answer is there is we would see an increase in the death rate. Hypo's also help save lives. So junkies are dying because they are using the tool for the wrong purpose.

Ban nicotine it kills way more people than pistols. Ohh sorry that might infringe upon the rights and freedoms of voters. Besides this would only serve to reduce deaths in our nation, we wouldn't want to try and make that happen by banning something.

Ohh I forgot addiction is legal in Canada it's all good as long as the government gets its pound of flesh. Ever notice they tax things people have trouble doing without, income and addicted substances. Big brother our benevolent keeper!

I’m fine with folks smoking been addicted myself, I miss it. Most smokers don’t resort to crime to support their habit, junkies tend to. Ban needles, whoops cant’ do that it would kill innocent folks who need injections.

I need my pistol too, it will save my innocent arse from druggies that might boot down my door and rob me. Hmm what was it last week an Albertan got stabbed to death in a home invasion event. No thanks, I’ll put a hole in anyone forcing their way into this home, a .40 cal hole, double tap to the center of the chest thank you very much.

All due respect to LEO’s but they are not there to protect my arse after some scum attacks, they are there to investigate after the fact. I’ll manage my own well being by keeping my firearms thank you!

But pistols save lives, the criminal element would be out of control in this nation if it were not for the outside chance a legal enforcement officer might shoot them if they get to carried away. Think how docile these punks might be if they knew everyone of their victims might actually own and carry a firearm. I suspect we might see a significant down turn in violent crime.

Why the hell don’t these folks get tough on crime and leave me the hell alone!

I gave my wife a 9 mm pistol for Mothers day. Anyone shows up to take her present is in for one hell of a beating.

I’d be kind of ****ed at anyone trying to take away my Sunday with the family. It’s range day! Family days start with 250 to 400 rounds each with the pistols, then it’s on to the skeet range, day ends with big bore or small bore depending on the day. Then we go for a bite to eat and I spend the night cleaning too many firearms. But I wouldn’t want to give it up to satisfy some one else’s vision of the world. Some families spend the weekend at the rink. I spend mine at the range.

Take pistols away, hell no, let everyone have one!

911 a few guys with box cutters and how many people died. Then we had the big hoopla about air marshals being armed. Lets give our head a shake. How many would have died if everyone on those planes had the right to carry? Are five guys going to hijack a plane and fly it in to a building when hundreds of folks are armed? Not too likely!

I think you folks can guess how i voted.

Got to go some peckerwood just drove one of my trucks off the road!…end of rant.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM

This is a bit off topic, but what licences and any other requirments do you need to own a handgun in Canada right now?
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffer View Post
This is a bit off topic, but what licences and any other requirments do you need to own a handgun in Canada right now?
first off you have to take the restricted portion of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, pay more money than a fellow who wants a shotgun for the Restricted PAL. As with all PAL's you must undergo a criminal background check, and supply two refrences who at least lately will be called and asked a few questions about your character. Also on the application you must indicate if you've had a relationship break down, or ever lost a job, and a few other might obtrusive questions. And if you have a significant other they must also sign your application. And if you have an Ex., well they will phone them and ask them if it ok for you to own any firearms.
Then onto buying your restricted firearm.
First off when you have the appropriate licence you may purchase a firearm in tht class. Reasons for wanting a restricted firearm in Canada are for the purpose of collecting, which opens you up to possible warrentless searches to check that you are storing the firearms correctly. The second is for target practice, if you go this route you must be a member of a shooting club, and provide proof of membership. You then must apply for an authorization to transport (ATT) once your ATT is approved buy a Bureaucrat you may then take your firearm home under the conditions and specifications outlined on the ATT.
Now you have to apply for an ATT to transport your firearm to the range and back home, some Provincial Bureaucrats are more lenient and will issue you a long tem ATT, but in some Provinces long Term ATT's are a no go.
Have I remembered it right , some one check my recollections please.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM

voted No for every reason listed and maybe more !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 PM
jrs

Of course a No vote.

I have an idea of how to fix this though, get rid of Toronto's control over the entire country.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:48 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to guy buy a Ruger .22 revolver. Fun to plink with and **** off a few Liberals. I've already got my restricted endorsement I'll just need to join a club. I think the FGA in Lloydminster has a pistol range...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Banning hand gun ownership by lawfull citizens will not stop the gangsters from shooting up the town. The government has lost its ability to deal with this type of criminal behavior and the C-68 gun registry that was hyped up to be a cure all failed miserably. Doper thugs have no respect for human life, safety of the public and they should be treated the same way by this government. The police clean up the mess our government, court systems, and voting public have created.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
first off you have to take the restricted portion of the Canadian Firearms Safety Course, pay more money than a fellow who wants a shotgun for the Restricted PAL. As with all PAL's you must undergo a criminal background check, and supply two refrences who at least lately will be called and asked a few questions about your character. Also on the application you must indicate if you've had a relationship break down, or ever lost a job, and a few other might obtrusive questions. And if you have a significant other they must also sign your application. And if you have an Ex., well they will phone them and ask them if it ok for you to own any firearms.
Then onto buying your restricted firearm.
First off when you have the appropriate licence you may purchase a firearm in tht class. Reasons for wanting a restricted firearm in Canada are for the purpose of collecting, which opens you up to possible warrentless searches to check that you are storing the firearms correctly. The second is for target practice, if you go this route you must be a member of a shooting club, and provide proof of membership. You then must apply for an authorization to transport (ATT) once your ATT is approved buy a Bureaucrat you may then take your firearm home under the conditions and specifications outlined on the ATT.
Now you have to apply for an ATT to transport your firearm to the range and back home, some Provincial Bureaucrats are more lenient and will issue you a long tem ATT, but in some Provinces long Term ATT's are a no go.
Have I remembered it right , some one check my recollections please.
And I'm assuming that those rules apply regardless weather it's center or rimfire?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 PM

7:30 pm Update

51% bad guys
49% good guys

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Voted No. percents haven't changed since 7:30, nice to see that it's at least evening out a little.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM

51% for the GOOD GUYS!!!!

LeRoy
Old 01-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Good to see the good guys gaining ... but, alas ... what diffrence will it make unless it's a vote in parliament on a bill ? ? ?

I voted NO
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM

I just voted(no of course). It's now 52% no and 48%yes. Moving the right direction.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Thumbs down Poll

Dump the thread it's over.There is an Oiler Poll on now
Old 01-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Default 630

Should there be a ban on handguns?

24.9% Yes
75.11% No

Check the past news polls in the top left hand corner.